TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster 3.0

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by DrComputer, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

They've done at least one at the Watertown, MA service center. Possibly more.

2. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Wish the owner(s) would post their experience on it!

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

4. MileHighMotoring

5. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

That's cool...

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

So I wonder what's different in the upgrade process.

7. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

The PEM upgrade.

8. frequencydip

frequencydip Sig 100 - #52

This is fantastic if so! The question still remains why couldn't they just say it was coming instead of allowing the rip tide to form...

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Because Tesla communication. Just be glad and move on.

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Any answer is speculation - maybe an engineer found a way at the last minute and it was easily implemented. Maybe the costs were at first 'too much' and that has been rethought. We're not going to know, but I don't care. :) I'm just happy it's available.

11. jeremyz

jeremyz Member

This is great news.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Or maybe Tesla decided to simply take a small loss on the X percentage of 1.5 owners who will upgrade. Good news all the way around.

13. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Whaaattt??? And no announcement to Roadster 1.5 owners ? Has anyone been able to confirm this? Oh wait, it's Sunday night, not possible.

I'm excited. [emoji16] My 1.5 is at my Service Center for an annual maintenance. I am picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I will ask!

15. tomsax

tomsax Member

That's great news for the Roadster 1.5 owners who have been putting off a battery replacement!

For everyone who does the upgrade, please submit your battery info to the Roadster battery survey before the swap, and again when you have the new battery in so we can start tracking them!

16. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

Outstanding! Happy to hear it! Great job, Tesla. Just need to keep working on that communication...

17. ecarfan

Me too! My personal theory is that Elon noticed the blowback from upset 1.5 owners and their supporters and told engineering to figure out a solution, regardless of the cost, a solution was found and Elon told finance to simply absorb the cost as a goodwill gesture. But that is pure speculation.
    I doubt we will ever know the real story behind why Tesla would first announce the 3.0 battery upgrade without specifying which Roadsters it was suitable for (leading everyone to assume it would be for all cars)' then formally make the upgrade available (on the website) without limiting it to the 2.0/2.5 cars, then a few days later exclude the 1.5 cars, then several weeks later and without fanfare specifically state that the 3.0 battery is available for all Roadsters.
    I am going to question the service manager at Tesla Burlingame California this afternoon.

18. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Relief for me. Just ordered the 3.0 upgrade for my 1.5 and am now ordering an upgrade to the adjustable suspension too.

19. josh-io

josh-io Member

Here's the email I got this morning. Woohoo!!

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 7.27.00 AM.png

20. ecarfan

Thanks Josh, that appears to positively confirm it. It just took some "engineering effort". Yay Tesla!