Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone actually received a new 3.0 Battery yet? If not any idea when the installs will begin? I would love to be able to drive my Tesla to see family in Pittsburgh or Tuscaloosa but will need a 300 mile battery to make such a trip reasonable. Reasonable meaning 50% longer than an ICE rather than 400% longer.

They've done at least one at the Watertown, MA service center. Possibly more.

This is fantastic if so! The question still remains why couldn't they just say it was coming instead of allowing the rip tide to form...

Any answer is speculation - maybe an engineer found a way at the last minute and it was easily implemented. Maybe the costs were at first 'too much' and that has been rethought. We're not going to know, but I don't care. :) I'm just happy it's available.

Any answer is speculation - maybe an engineer found a way at the last minute and it was easily implemented. Maybe the costs were at first 'too much' and that has been rethought. We're not going to know, but I don't care. :) I'm just happy it's available.
Me too! My personal theory is that Elon noticed the blowback from upset 1.5 owners and their supporters and told engineering to figure out a solution, regardless of the cost, a solution was found and Elon told finance to simply absorb the cost as a goodwill gesture. But that is pure speculation.
I doubt we will ever know the real story behind why Tesla would first announce the 3.0 battery upgrade without specifying which Roadsters it was suitable for (leading everyone to assume it would be for all cars)' then formally make the upgrade available (on the website) without limiting it to the 2.0/2.5 cars, then a few days later exclude the 1.5 cars, then several weeks later and without fanfare specifically state that the 3.0 battery is available for all Roadsters.
I am going to question the service manager at Tesla Burlingame California this afternoon.

Here's the email I got this morning. Woohoo!!

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 7.27.00 AM.png

Reactions: AtAge19