Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still boggled that it took extra effort to make it work with the 1.5's, and that they needed extra input to make that effort :rolleyes: What were they expecting? Better late than never I guess, but not better than getting it right the first time.
In the past month I have spoken to several Tesla service people. All of them said they were not surprised that the announced 3.0 battery could not be installed in a 1.5. They didn't explain why.
Now I want to talk to them again. [emoji3]
Great news for 1.5 owners. Value of their cars just increased with a single post.
Although I have no plans to sell my Roadster for years to come, I am also relieved for that reason as well.

Thanks everyone for sticking up like the family we are. I especially find it awesome that that 2.x owners for which the initial release of the pack worked perfectly for didn't leave those in the 1.5 side of the family to be left out in the cold. We have a unique and quite a special breed of Roadster owners here. Right on par with the great qualities of the Roadster itself.

Stoked Tesla did the right thing for everyone!

I've been happily spreading this positive Tesla PR word with my co-workers, they too find this to be a great thing.

Great News, Terrible Timing

I received the same email. At least our correspondence and shouts were listened to. But Tesla was categorical about 1.5's not qualifying - didn't say they were still working on it, or it'd be later - and they returned my deposit on the purchase. So I had to go anead and install a new (refurb) battery - still breaking it in hoping the miles will climb to what I had before. Very disappointed.

I received the same email. At least our correspondence and shouts were listened to. But Tesla was categorical about 1.5's not qualifying - didn't say they were still working on it, or it'd be later - and they returned my deposit on the purchase. So I had to go anead and install a new (refurb) battery - still breaking it in hoping the miles will climb to what I had before. Very disappointed.

I would contact them if you're still interested in Roadster 3. The worst they could say is No.

Wow I feel your pain!!

But I am really glad Tesla came through on supporting the 1.5 owners. Now I am scrambling to find the money on my end. $29K is a lot of money for me but I find I can't comfortably do 210 miles on my current pack. While ideal miles still show 221 I rarely maintain "Ideal" range on the Interstate.

Well, this is phenomenal news! Of course, a couple weeks ago when I couldn't spend the $29k on 3.0, I decided to splurge a lot of it on the carbon fiber exterior package and give Kermit a whole new look by going Lightning Green. Now my 3.0 order is placed too, this is turning into quite an expensive Tesla year. :eek:

Last edited:
I would be grateful if the first OVMS owners to get the battery upgrade could let me know (via eMail / PM) their VehicleIDs. I would like to check what is coming in on the CAN bus for the new batteries, and verify no changes required on the OVMS side.

My battery is currently almost still as new.
If I purchase this upgrade, what would Tesla pay me for my current battery ?
is 29K the price for a swap or just for the new battery ?
If it's 29k for a swap, it can't be that one who returns a dead pack will pay the same amount as one who returns a perfectly healthly pack.

Anyone knows how they will handle this ?

Yes, I asked. They will not pay you anything for your pack; it does not matter what shape it is in. But, you are required to trade one in.

So, yeah, that's sort of a disincentive for those of us with good packs to upgrade. But then, they aren't trying to incentive us to upgrade.

They've done at least one at the Watertown, MA service center. Possibly more.
Henry, do you know the Roadster owner who had the 3.0 battery installed at the Watertown MA Service Center?
If you do, could you ask if they could share information about their experience with us?
So far I have not seen any posts on TMC from owners who have had the 3.0 battery installed.
I am specifically interested in knowing:
-- what the new Ideal Range value is at the standard charge and range charge settings
-- are there still warnings displayed when doing a range charge or are those warnings changed, since modern cells should be more tolerant of high SOCs, like in the S/X.
-- does a 3.0 Roadster now allow more choices in selecting an SOC than just the 3 choices we currently have.
-- if the 3.0 battery is allowed to fall to a lower SOC level than the original battery was.

Well, this is phenomenal news! Of course, a couple weeks ago when I couldn't spend the $29k on 3.0, I decided to splurge a lot of it on the carbon fiber exterior package and give Kermit a whole new look by going Lightning Green. Now my 3.0 order is placed too, this is turning into quite an expensive Tesla year. :eek:

Isn't every year an expensive Tesla year?:) congrats.

Paint job is a month long process that we are about half way into. Carbon fiber will get here on Tesla time, but I will definitely put up some before and afters once it's done.

FYI, if you're getting a professional paint-job with an oven bake, make sure the Roadster is plugged in or charged up pretty well in Std. Mode and periodically checked. The HVAC will be kicking on trying to cool the pack down. You could pull the ESS disconnect, but then I'd personally want to feel comfortable about the ESS not getting too hot in the oven. But then if you're getting a new pack, this may be a moot issue. Just letting you know, a paint shop can easily miss this and possibly brick the Roadster if unaware.