Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard on the grapevine that here there is a 6 month wait and they might have to ship cars to Netherlands to do the work.

Six months may be optimistic: @slcasner ordered his at the very end of October last year, and he's getting it installed starting on August 2nd. I ordered mine the day after him, and my Roadster is going in for the upgrade on August 1st. That's nine months wait for both of us.

My guess is that it's not like the delay on getting other Tesla cars that's more-or-less continuous, so whenever you order there's pretty much the same wait. I imagine that most people who ever will get the 3.0 upgrade ordered it soon after it became available, and the 6 month number is just the time to run through the one-time-only backlog. So if you wait three months from now to order, it'll be a three (or maybe four) month wait, not six.

Another way to think about it is to ask how many other people will be ordering in the next few months? Not many, I'd imagine, so the backlog should go down at nearly one month per month.

I ordered maybe 10 days after it became available with just this in mind. I wanted to be toward the end of the line, because my existing battery is in decent shape for having 100K miles on it, but I also wanted to get the upgrade while they were still in continuous production so that I was able to get it at all, because I have a feeling that five years from now it'll be mighty hard to get.

Six months may be optimistic: @slcasner ordered his at the very end of October last year, and he's getting it installed starting on August 2nd. I ordered mine the day after him, and my Roadster is going in for the upgrade on August 1st. That's nine months wait for both of us.
I'm glad to hear you're on the schedule, Dave. I order Oct 26th and haven't heard anything yet, but sounds like I must be getting close to getting the call.

I'm glad to hear you're on the schedule, Dave. I order Oct 26th and haven't heard anything yet, but sounds like I must be getting close to getting the call.

I suppose that there may be factors other than order sequence that determines when the install is scheduled. I'm only guessing, but a service center's work backlog could delay it, or maybe the techs that are trained on Roadsters need some additional training on 3.0 battery upgrades? Just guessing, really. Maybe the logistics of getting a battery shipped to FL vs. WA state may be another factor.

Are you also upgrading a v1.5 Roadster?

It can't hurt to make a polite inquiry to people at the service center you use, asking if they've heard any news about your 3.0 upgrade, and where it might be in the pipeline.

I suppose that there may be factors other than order sequence that determines when the install is scheduled. I'm only guessing, but a service center's work backlog could delay it, or maybe the techs that are trained on Roadsters need some additional training on 3.0 battery upgrades? Just guessing, really. Maybe the logistics of getting a battery shipped to FL vs. WA state may be another factor.

Are you also upgrading a v1.5 Roadster?

It can't hurt to make a polite inquiry to people at the service center you use, asking if they've heard any news about your 3.0 upgrade, and where it might be in the pipeline.
Yes, I'm upgrading a 1.5, and being on the East coast probably doesn't put me towards the front of the line, plus I'm 99% certain I will be the first Roadster upgrade being done at my service center. But to be honest, with Florida summertime kicking into gear and the anemic air conditioning in the Roadster, it will be fall before I really contemplate doing much longer distance traveling in the Roadster, so not really in a hurry to use it, just looking forward to being able to give a new and better answer when people ask "how far can you go with it?". The battery upgrade would probably give me enough added range to get heat stroke by the end of a trip in summertime.

• Funny
Reactions: benjiejr
Previous post 6:12 am does not appear in New Posts. Neither can one search "Roadster 3.0" since 3 and 0 'are too small'. Thus in order to follow this thread (FWIW the sister thread is: For Those Who Have Placed An Order For A New 3.0 Battery) one MUST bookmark in one's browser!!

Does TM officially call this upgrade "New Roadster 3.0 Battery" or what?

20700 cell cells - Roadster '400 mile' battery - Added to this thread to aid searching.

I may need to order one soon . . . :(
--

Previous post 6:12 am does not appear in New Posts. Neither can one search "Roadster 3.0" since 3 and 0 'are too small'. Thus in order to follow this thread (FWIW the sister thread is: For Those Who Have Placed An Order For A New 3.0 Battery) one MUST bookmark in one's browser!!
Have you tried subscribing to the thread? Select "watch thread" just above the first post of the page.

• Informative
Reactions: wycolo and dhrivnak
Got a call from my SC and it seems there is new badging for the Roadsters with the 3.0 battery and they want me to come in to have it put on. If I understood it correctly the badging says "R80". Has anyone seen it? I am not one that cares much about badging so I am not sure I really want it.

Got a call from my SC and it seems there is new badging for the Roadsters with the 3.0 battery and they want me to come in to have it put on. If I understood it correctly the badging says "R80". Has anyone seen it? I am not one that cares much about badging so I am not sure I really want it.
That's interesting. I was hoping that Tesla would offer a badge for Roadsters with the 3.0 battery, but had heard nothing and assumed it would not be happening.

But if there was a badge offered I expected it to be a "3.0" badge. Very surprised that it is "R80". I don't know what the "80" could significantly except 80kWh, though I thought someone had posted that the capacity was somewhere in the mid 70's.

When I take my Roadster in next Tuesday morning for the 3.0 battery install I will ask about the badge. I hope you can post a photo of it soon. Thanks.

That's interesting. I was hoping that Tesla would offer a badge for Roadsters with the 3.0 battery, but had heard nothing and assumed it would not be happening.

But if there was a badge offered I expected it to be a "3.0" badge. Very surprised that it is "R80". I don't know what the "80" could significantly except 80kWh, though I thought someone had posted that the capacity was somewhere in the mid 70's.

When I take my Roadster in next Tuesday morning for the 3.0 battery install I will ask about the badge. I hope you can post a photo of it soon. Thanks.
When I saw that posting I emailed my service advisor. He was unaware of the badges but contacted head office, who confirmed that there is one. He's ordered it for me and will send someone over to put it on when it arrives.

There's a picture of the badge in this thread:
Roadster 80
Thank you! Can't believe I missed that thread from several months ago. Love the badge. It appears to be the same style and font as used on the S and X. It appears that photo may have been take at the Fremont factory. I show it below.

img_4079-jpg.169925

My Roadster was taken to the Palo Alto Service Center yesterday and today they installed the 3.0 battery. I will pick it up tomorrow morning.

This afternoon I got this text from my OVMS:

13:01:02
Range - Charging Stopped
SOC: 88%
Ideal Range: 308 mi
Est. Range: 191 mi
ODO: 30,742.5 mi
CAC: 214.98
------------------------------

Woohoo!

Does TM officially call this upgrade "New Roadster 3.0 Battery" or what?

20700 cell cells - Roadster '400 mile' battery - Added to this thread to aid searching.

I may need to order one soon . . . :(
--

fwiw I found this thread by searching for "roadster 80 kwh" without the quotes in the teslamotorsclub.com search at the top of the page. It was the 2nd and 3rd result.