Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little puzzled... How can you have a warranty on a part of the PEM (the upgraded board), when the "repair" strategy is a complete PEM swap?
If they can diagnose the problem as the one board, it seems likely that's they will replace just that one board. While they don't seem to repair PEMs at the service centers, they are opening them up for this one board.

Responding to my own request, I went to a waste transfer station this past weekend and got a weight for my Roadster. Taking account of my weight, as well as the weight of all the other stuff being carried around, my Roadster "weighs" 2848 lbs. I quote "weighs" because the scale I used is not certified. After the 3.0 battery is installed next week, I'll return to the same scale and get the new weight. I don't think that there's much risk that the scale calibration will change significantly in that time. The resolution of the scale's readout is 20 lbs.

Update: a significant additional weight that would make my Roadster weigh more than the OEM spec is that I had Tesla install a receiver hitch -- the one that they used to sell as an an accessory.

Reactions: cswolfe
Do you know what is the warranty one the new battery and on the upgraded PEM ? 2 years ? more ?
I have requested a warranty document from Tesla. I do not have a formal document yet, but I do have an email from the Palo Alto Service Center stating that they will get me a warranty document, and they said this, quote: "3 year 36,000 mile warranty on the battery and partial warranty on the PEM as far as what was updated in it for the 3.0 upgrade".

I have requested a warranty document from Tesla. I do not have a formal document yet, but I do have an email from the Palo Alto Service Center stating that they will get me a warranty document, and they said this, quote: "3 year 36,000 mile warranty on the battery and partial warranty on the PEM as far as what was updated in it for the 3.0 upgrade".

Thanks for the info :)

Kind regards

Picked up my R80 in Rocklin yesterday and drove it back to Reno. Pretty impressive - if you start with a full charge in Rocklin (mine charges to 345) you'll clear Donner summit with 200-220 miles! This baby can go places, no Superchargers required (for trips of 450 miles or less the charging time may even be less then Model S/X). It took two months for my 1.5 to get upgraded (delayed by software issues, a parking brake cable that got broken, and a compresser that needed replacement), but it was well worth the wait!

Hey Guys! Has anyone heard anything about the Aero update for Roadster? I think it would be pretty sweet if it looked a bit like the Model 3. Cheers!
With everything else going on at Tesla at the moment I am extremely confident that the battery upgrade will be the last upgrade we see for the Roadster for at least 2-3 years. They had to do the battery upgrade to keep the cars on the road and fulfill battery replacement contracts. They won't have the bandwidth for anything else for awhile.

Reactions: cswolfe
Hey Guys! Has anyone heard anything about the Aero update for Roadster? I think it would be pretty sweet if it looked a bit like the Model 3. Cheers!
Tesla has said nothing about it. I do not expect it to be made available. Low priority and the take rate will likely be minimal. I'm very happy just to get the 3.0 battery installed!

Looks like Tesla have kind of forgotten about this :-(
However, There is an (ex)-Roadster owner over in UK @PV4EV / @arch who has done a LOT of R&D on this ... I have seen the results and many aspects are quite easy to do (eg tyres and a really simple aero mod that has biggest bang /buck on Coef of drag).

See previous messages/threads:
Roadster 3.0
Roadster for the weekend
Reducing drag coefficient

But I we need his 'nod' to share, what was A LOT of work.

Last edited:
Last night I did a range mode full charge, finished about 6:00 -- 337 miles. Then let it sit until about noon, balancing (I assume). Then a top off, which finished before 13:00 -- 341 miles. Now I'm off to a Tesla event in Dana Point to show it off. I don't have to even think about charging!

IMG_0303.JPG

While patiently waiting just outside the Seattle Service Center's overhead door for work to be completed on my Roadster 3.0 battery install, My (that's the tech's name) drives it out to take it for a test drive. It had just finished a Range Mode charge. He stopped a long enough for me to snap this quick pic:
WP_20160805_15_16_49_Pro.jpg

Earlier, I got this pic from Danny, an Assistant Service Manager:
image1(1).JPG

I'll be weighing it again as soon as possible, and will report on the new weight and delta.

Last edited:
Dave, your 343 Ideal Mile max charge number matches mine exactly.

Did you happen to ask your Service Center if they know the total and the usable kW of the 3.0 battery? I've asked the Burlingame and Palo Alto Service Centers and they say they do not know those numbers.

Oops! I meant to post this in the Roadster 3.0 thread! @TEG or another mod, can these postings please be moved there, if possible?

@ecarfan, I didn't think to ask them this question. I wouldn't expect them to know this, quite honestly.

Continuing on from my last post in this thread about Roadster weight, I've weighed it again after the 3.0 battery install was completed earlier today, and the new weight is 2943 lbs. Assuming that the calibration and accuracy of scales I've used in the process haven't changed significantly, and also keeping in mind the 20 lb. resolution of the car scale, that yields a delta weight range of 55-135 lbs. for the 3.0 battery.

I just looked at the old thread about 3.0 order dates, and noticed that Dave placed his order on October 28, while I placed mine on September 11 (and we're in the same area using the same service center), yet he got his upgrade first.

I wonder if they skipped me because my car was in service for the last two months, or maybe it's because he has a 1.5 and I have a 2.0?

I'm not upset, my car is fine and so I'm not in a big hurry, but I'm a little curious about how they decide the upgrade order.

> Continuing on from my last post in this thread about Roadster weight, I've weighed it again after the 3.0 battery > install was completed earlier today, and the new weight is 2943 lbs. Assuming that the calibration and accuracy > of scales I've used in the process haven't changed significantly, and also keeping in mind the 20 lb. resolution
> of the car scale, that yields a delta weight range of 55-135 lbs. for the 3.0 battery. [DaveD]

With a sticky scale should we assume purely random events or bell curve results? Or maybe just say "it adds
about 100 pounds" and leave it at that?
--

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and Nvbob
I just looked at the old thread about 3.0 order dates, and noticed that Dave placed his order on October 28, while I placed mine on September 11 (and we're in the same area using the same service center), yet he got his upgrade first.

I wonder if they skipped me because my car was in service for the last two months, or maybe it's because he has a 1.5 and I have a 2.0?

I'm not upset, my car is fine and so I'm not in a big hurry, but I'm a little curious about how they decide the upgrade order.

I don't have an explanation for you on this, @bolosky.

Several weeks ago, I did make a special request to have a specific tech do the 3.0 upgrade on my Roadster. He (My is his name) has worked on my car for many years, and I wanted him to have the honor of doing this job. Since he works at the Seattle Service Center, I asked well before my time because I knew that the battery had to be shipped to the location of the work. Moving a battery between service centers is a non-trivial task. But, in the communications that I had with Tesla about this request, both I and Tesla people were quite clear that the work would happen whenever it was my turn -- no line jumping was implied or expected.

I'll note that @slcasner placed his order a day before me, and was, the last he posted about it, scheduled to have his 3.0 battery installed starting on August 2nd.

I had noticed that you hadn't posted anything about your 3.0 battery, and I was aware of your earlier order date, so I was eager to hear that your turn had come up, as a way to judge the progress toward my own upgrade. When I was contacted to schedule my upgrade and you hadn't posted anything about yours, I assumed that you'd decided, for your own reasons, to keep quiet about it. There have been several reports of 3.0 upgrades happening like that, without the owner posting about it here.

If I were you, I'd contact Maddy at the Bellevue Service Center and ask her to check with HQ on the status of your 3.0 upgrade, and point out the fact that your order was placed well before mine. She's not the one doing the scheduling of the upgrades; that's done by people at HQ. But, I'm sure she'd be happy to try and find out what's happening on your behalf.

> Continuing on from my last post in this thread about Roadster weight, I've weighed it again after the 3.0 battery > install was completed earlier today, and the new weight is 2943 lbs. Assuming that the calibration and accuracy > of scales I've used in the process haven't changed significantly, and also keeping in mind the 20 lb. resolution
> of the car scale, that yields a delta weight range of 55-135 lbs. for the 3.0 battery. [DaveD]

With a sticky scale should we assume purely random events or bell curve results? Or maybe just say "it adds
about 100 pounds" and leave it at that?
--

I'm hoping that more Roadster owners getting the 3.0 battery upgrade will make the modest effort to get the two weighings done. One data point is a poor set upon which to make any sort of a statement.