Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just looked at the old thread about 3.0 order dates, and noticed that Dave placed his order on October 28, while I placed mine on September 11 (and we're in the same area using the same service center), yet he got his upgrade first.

I wonder if they skipped me because my car was in service for the last two months, or maybe it's because he has a 1.5 and I have a 2.0?

I'm not upset, my car is fine and so I'm not in a big hurry, but I'm a little curious about how they decide the upgrade order.

Tesla confirmed that the issue is that they don't have parts for 2.0 upgrades.

They didn't say, but I assume what's happening is that they don't have very many spare packs, so they have to wait to get back one removed from a car being upgraded, which slows down the rate.

No big deal, since I'm not in a hurry.

I picked up my 1.5 VIN 33 with the 3.0 upgrade today, 10 days after taking it in. The weight increased from 2780 before the upgrade to 2900 afterwards, an increase of 120 pounds. This scale has a resolution of 20 pounds. This weight is with nothing stored in the car and with the soft-top installed. The car has had the sound reduction 1.0 applied.

As delivered, the battery fill level in range mode was 90% and showed an ideal range of 317 miles. Scaling up to 95% would be about 335 miles. The ideal range in standard mode was 282 miles. VMSParser reports the CAC to be 214.30. The VDS indicates that the firmware was not changed; it is still 3.6.12 11 as installed on 03/31/2014.

I elected to have the work done at the Fremont Service Center based on an unfounded assumption that they would have more experience there at the home base. It turns out that my car was the first 3.0 upgrade they had done, so perhaps I should just have taken it to my closes SC, which is Sunnyvale. The serial number of my battery is 1008. The "R80" badge was applied, but I'm not sure I like the red color of the R next to the Radiant Red body color.
3.0-range.jpg
3.0-std.jpg
3.0-label.jpg

FYI, when you charge in standard mode, you won't see 282 miles; it will (by design according to my SC) stop around 235.
Indeed. What I was looking for in those numbers was the difference in ideal miles when switching between standard and range mode. With the old battery it was constant at 24 or 25. With this new battery it is 35, so still about 10% of the bottom end of the battery held in reserve.

I suspect with 100lbs more in the rear, the camber will be set a bit more negative compared to the old installed pack. Sounds like they don't realign these cars after the 3.0 installation. 100lbs is 100lbs, so yes braking will be negatively affected as well as handling (and of course acceleration which is offset by the higher capacity pack). Would most people notice this, probably not. If you do push the car to its limits and really know/feel the car then you will. The worse case would be when you have a passenger in the car as well, since your passenger would be 100-200lbs depending on being male/female, and with that the rear springs / shocks don't have much in terms of compression (compared to the front) to soften bumps, dips, and imperfections of the road. Most people don't ballast their driver's side when they get the car aligned or even notice a difference in handling when a passenger is riding, so as I said above this would be moot for most in the handling / ride area. But its just physics with the weight, it has more momentum/inertia, its affected by gravity, and it takes energy to move as well as to come to a stop.

I'm quite curious if the 0-60 times have changed. The true test would be charging in performance mode and driving in performance mode (for the 2.x's) and take metric. However the easiest way would be to put up the torque / acceleration screen on the VDS, take readings from the old pack, have the 3.0 pack installed, then on the same road/stretch re-take the torque/accel metrics.

Sweet seeing those high ideal miles, congrats guys!

Last edited:
I just got the 3.0 pack installed in my 2.5 Sport, resulting in a 344 mile Range charge. I dropped it off on a Tuesday in Burlingame and it was ready for pickup Friday.

IMG_1227.jpg

I'm not quite sure what to do with the badge. Apparently the service center got guidance that they were supposed to replace the Roadster Sport badge with it, but they didn't go forward with that without giving me the option of placing the badge myself.

• Informative
Reactions: markwj and dpeilow
I'm not quite sure what to do with the badge. Apparently the service center got guidance that they were supposed to replace the Roadster Sport badge with it, but they didn't go forward with that without giving me the option of placing the badge myself.
Since receiving my R80 badge -- installed by Tesla Palo Alto -- I have been wondering how it was going to be placed on a Roadster Sport. Maybe place it on the left side? If I owned a Sport model I would not remove the Sport badge.

Reactions: DaveD
Apparently the service center got guidance that they were supposed to replace the Roadster Sport badge with it, but they didn't go forward with that without giving me the option of placing the badge myself.
Curious if the Sport still has the 0-60mph / 0.2 sec advantage over the non-sport versions when both are running the 3.0 pack... since it appears Tesla wanted to pull the sport badging off, sure its not related
With the S and the X, Tesla's standard practice is to place the badge denoting the vehicle battery size and Performance level at the rear at the lower right. So the 3.0 battery "R80" badge has been placed in that location. Apparently, whoever was responsible for deciding to offer that badge hadn't considered the implications of that placement for Roadster Sport vehicles. Note that upthread, the first photo posted showing the R80 badge showed a Roadster with two of the badges, one on each side. I don't know why that car had two badges, but if I owned a Roadster Sport I would have requested that the badge be placed on the left side, to preserve the original location of the "Sport" badge. Of course @nrp is welcome to place his R80 badge wherever he/she wants, or not place it all. I think it was thoughtful of the Burlingame Service Center to leave the choice to the vehicle owner.

The tech told me that the template he used for the R80 badge is exactly the template they used for the "Roadster Sport" badge in the past. I think if you want both, you'll have to mount the new one yourself. Just above the Sport badge would be fine, I would think. Alternatively, the template was just a cut-out piece of paper and blue tape to hold it in place, so by turning it over it would fit on the left side just fine.

If I get the 3.0 upgrade, I doubt I'd put it on. (I'm still waiting to hear about the rest of the upgrade (brakes, tires, aero etc.) before making a decision.)
I think you are going to be waiting for a long time.

Clearly the 3.0 battery contributes the vast majority of the range improvement promised by Tesla with the 3.0 upgrade package. Everything else is just on the margins. If Tesla ever does release any of the other 4 items (brake mod, new wheel bearings, different tires, and some sort of body modification) they are only going to be additional costs over and above the $29K 3.0 battery price. So if you want the new battery, why "wait"?

Dave, your 343 Ideal Mile max charge number matches mine exactly.

Did you happen to ask your Service Center if they know the total and the usable kW of the 3.0 battery? I've asked the Burlingame and Palo Alto Service Centers and they say they do not know those numbers.

Yesterday I did a Range Mode charge of my 3.0 battery, The first since it was range mode charged at the Service Center the day I picked it up. Curious, I checked the SOC diagnostic display:

Roadster_StdToRng_SOC.jpg

I noticed the "kWhR" value of 78.63kWh.

By the way, I did a Range Mode charge as part of my successful trip from my home, driving around Mt. Rainier (stopping at Paradise), and then back home, without recharging. A trip of 232 miles.I had a reported 106 Ideal Miles remaining.