Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is I won't be able to make that 300 real mile journey in one charge--which is what I was hoping the large battery would allow me to do.
My guess is that with a 3.0 battery you could do 300 miles if you kept the speed to below 55. I am pretty confident you could not even come close to 300 miles going 70 or above.

The longest distance I have driven with my 3.0 battery without charging is 155 miles on a max charge and I arrived with about 70 miles of range left. I averaged around 65,mph.

Keep in mind that the Tesla blog post about driving from San Jose to Santa Monica on a single charge was in a full 3.0 car with the other not-yet-released 3.0 features.

The longest distance I have driven with my 3.0 battery without charging is 155 miles on a max charge and I arrived with about 70 miles of range left. I averaged around 65,mph.
Um, really? 3.0 battery?

I drove from my house to Fremont (factory tour) last February on the original battery, 140+ miles at freeway speeds most of the way, arriving with 60-70 miles left. My Range charge is only about 212 miles. The 3.0 battery only bought you 15 extra miles? That's not right.

I don't have my 3.0 yet, still on the waiting list. But from what I've seen here, will be able to range charge to about 340 miles. I have always used 75% as my range to real miles conversion, which would give you 255. Seems like a long stretch to get that up to 300.

If I drove in Range Mode I could go farther. I hate driving in Range Mode. The car feels sluggish when I hit the Go Pedal.

So charge in Range mode and drive in Standard mode. You get the extra charge without the power limit. That's what I usually do. Then, if you wind up needing the bottom 10% of the battery, switch back to Range.

I have only done two long drives with my 3.0. We have a lake house that's 167 miles away and over a couple of mountain passes. With the old battery (with 100K+ miles on it and something like 204 ideal miles range charge), I could make it if I drove very conservatively. This was both no fun and somewhat nerve-wracking, because it barely made it.

With the new battery, I range charged it, drove like I didn't care about the range and made it with tons to spare. On the way back, I managed to hit a nail and flatten my tire, so I used a bike pump and frequent stops to limp into a tire shop. It was Sunday and they were closed, so I left the car. When I picked it up, I then drove it to work and back which added maybe 45 more miles onto the trip, and I still had tons left. And again, I didn't drive conservatively at all, I was going 80 for about 60 miles of the trip.

So, I bet if I drove like I did with the old battery I could almost get 300 miles from the new, and I'm sure I could if I drove on the level in the summer. But that's no fun.

There are Ideal Miles, and there are real world miles. My post was about the latter, and not with the car in Range Mode.

If I drove in Range Mode I could go farther. I hate driving in Range Mode. The car feels sluggish when I hit the Go Pedal.
Ah, ok. So Timothy can probably do just fine with a 3.0 battery on his 300 mile trip if he does it in Range mode charging and driving, and takes it just a little bit easy on the Go Pedal.

Presumably he has a way to charge the car when he gets there. Just curious... The user manual says it's 54 hrs to fully charge a regular battery at 120v 12a (standard 15a wall outlet). What is it for a 3.0 battery (full charge, range mode, regular wall outlet)? i.e., how long would the visit need to be in order to leave?

The user manual says it's 54 hrs to fully charge a regular battery at 120v 12a (standard 15a wall outlet). What is it for a 3.0 battery (full charge, range mode, regular wall outlet)? i.e., how long would the visit need to be in order to leave?

You get about 1KW into the battery (depending on how much fan/cooling/whatever else you need), so from all the way empty to all the way full it will take the better part of 75-80 hours, or more than three days.

110V is not really all that useful.

You get about 1KW into the battery (depending on how much fan/cooling/whatever else you need), so from all the way empty to all the way full it will take the better part of 75-80 hours, or more than three days.

110V is not really all that useful.
Yeah, I understand. But if it's all that's available, then 120v becomes really really useful. I doubt that's the case here, just a curiosity.

I'm personally on the fence about getting the 3.0 battery upgrade, but leaning slightly toward getting it. One daughter's house is just over 200 miles away, and my ideal range-mode range is currently 212 miles (and the return trip has a 1,200 foot elevation gain), so that's not realistic. What brought up my curiosity question is that all they have in the garage is 120v. There are a few L2 public chargers around, but none within walking distance. The other daughter is about 140 miles one-way, but has no charging (small appt building). So, a round trip could be possible with the upgrade. But I hate the idea of throwing away a perfectly good original battery (even if it does get recycled).

So charge in Range mode and drive in Standard mode. You get the extra charge without the power limit. That's what I usually do. Then, if you wind up needing the bottom 10% of the battery, switch back to Range.
And that is exactly what I do when I have a long drive planned.

I apologize for not being clear in my earlier post when I said: "The longest distance I have driven with my 3.0 battery without charging is 155 miles on a max charge and I arrived with about 70 miles of range left. I averaged around 65,mph."

The 70 miles of range left was what showed NOT in Range mode. I don't recall what it would have shown in Range mode likely because I wasn't driving in that mode. As I said, I hate driving in Range mode because when I want to accelerate quickly the car doesn't respond normally since available power is cut in half in Range mode. And since one of the principal joys of driving a Roadster is the effortless acceleration, I don't drive in Range mode unless it is absolutely the only way to get to my charging destination.

So Timothy can probably do just fine with a 3.0 battery on his 300 mile trip if he does it in Range mode charging and driving, and takes it just a little bit easy on the Go Pedal.
If by "easy on the Go Pedal" you mean "lots of hard acceleration", that won't make a lot of difference. Reducing cruising speed is what makes a difference. I do not think it would be possible, on a level road with no rain or headwind, to go 300 miles in Range Mode (and starting with a full charge) at 70mph or greater. I suspect you would have keep it at 55mph or less. However, I have not personally tested that, so I am only speculating.

And that is exactly what I do when I have a long drive planned.

I apologize for not being clear in my earlier post when I said: "The longest distance I have driven with my 3.0 battery without charging is 155 miles on a max charge and I arrived with about 70 miles of range left. I averaged around 65,mph."

The 70 miles of range left was what showed NOT in Range mode. I don't recall what it would have shown in Range mode likely because I wasn't driving in that mode. As I said, I hate driving in Range mode because when I want to accelerate quickly the car doesn't respond normally since available power is cut in half in Range mode. And since one of the principal joys of driving a Roadster is the effortless acceleration, I don't drive in Range mode unless it is absolutely the only way to get to my charging destination.

So Timothy can probably do just fine with a 3.0 battery on his 300 mile trip if he does it in Range mode charging and driving, and takes it just a little bit easy on the Go Pedal.
If by "easy on the Go Pedal" you mean "lots of hard acceleration", that won't make a lot of difference. Reducing cruising speed is what makes a difference. I do not think it would be possible, on a level road with no rain or headwind, to go 300 miles in Range Mode (and starting with a full charge) at 70mph or greater. I suspect you would have keep it at 55mph or less. However, I have not personally tested that, so I am only speculating.

Agree that the cruising speed is the major factor. My experience is that overall I can usually come close to Ideal range driving about 65 mph on the freeway, given that each end of the trip is going to be on city roads for a while at considerably slower speeds.

I bet you could squeeze out 300 miles at 60MPH, but no faster than that.

There are some good graphs on the topic (referencing the original Roaster battery capacity) here: Model S Efficiency and Range

There are really two "range mode"s, namely the one when you are charging, and the one when you are driving. As @bolosky said above, the only time you actually need "driving range mode" is when you're down to the last 20-30 miles. By that time the battery is limiting your acceleration no matter which mode you are driving in. So, yeah, charge in range mode, then switch to standard or performance to actually drive.

I use the same technique of charging in range mode and driving in standard mode. One (minor) problem that induces is that the battery level indication is then pegged at 100% because the battery icon range gets scaled. I calculated that for my car the fill level was effectively at 108% on the standard mode scale when the battery was fully charged in range mode.

When driving on long road trips (2400 miles) with the original battery I held to 62mph using the cruise control and was able to get pretty close to ideal mileage. I admit that it is not fun being passed by semis going across Nevada on I-80.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I use the same technique of charging in range mode and driving in standard mode. One (minor) problem that induces is that the battery level indication is then pegged at 100% because the battery icon range gets scaled. I calculated that for my car the fill level was effectively at 108% on the standard mode scale when the battery was fully charged in range mode.

That minor problem can easily be solved by just switching to performance mode-the battery scale is the same as range and you get full power.