Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I neglected to include in this comment that the calculation of 108% was for my original battery. I don't know the equivalent number for the 3.0 battery yet because I don't have enough data.

The 3.0 battery behaves differently in Standard Mode than the earlier versions did. Full charge range charge is about 344 miles. Full standard mode charge is roughly 225, but shows up as about 85% charge on the VDS. Switching from standard to range at a given charge level adds 34 miles (10% of full capacity), so that's how much is hidden at the bottom.

A full standard mode charge is 225 + 34 = 259 ideal miles, which is about 75% of the full range mode charge, a much lower percentage than with the original battery.

Given that 225 miles is 85% of the charge meter in standard mode, a standard mode charge meter percentage point is 2.65 ideal miles (= 225 / 0.85 / 100). Charging to full range Mode and switching to standard then would leave it displaying 310 ideal miles (= full charge of 344 - 34 hidden at the bottom) or 117%.

I didn't pay careful attention when I did this, but I think it did what slcasner describes and just stays pegged at full for a long time.

I can't imagine what the engineers were thinking of when they chose this behavior. I get having standard mode run from 100% to 0%, or having the meter always show the true capacity of the battery or of a new battery like on a model S, but I just can't see how they came up with the 85% number.

I can't imagine what the engineers were thinking of when they chose this behavior. I get having standard mode run from 100% to 0%, or having the meter always show the true capacity of the battery or of a new battery like on a model S, but I just can't see how they came up with the 85% number.
The design i would prefer would have no scaling at all. The full range of the battery icon would be between 0% and 100% of range mode capacity for a new battery. In standard mode the top and bottom portions of the range that would not be used would be shaded. As the battery aged the full charge would not reach the top of the indicator in range mode or the bottom of the upper shading in standard mode. When driving in standard mode one would have a nice visual indication of the reserve amount available by switching into range mode.

Reactions: tomsax and dpeilow
Energy in from the wall can be computed from the log file. Also interesting would be to get total energy out from the pack on a complete discharge, which can also be computed from a log file. My log parser does this math so anyone who has done a full charge/discharge cycle can get the numbers, or if someone sends me a log file and can run it through the parser and report the results.

Of course there numbers depend on external factors, like charge rate and ambient temperature which affect charge efficiency, and driving conditions which affect voltage sag and thus power out.

Roadster owners who do the upgrade get a plaque on the rear that says R80. I take that to mean the stated capacity is 80 kWh. I have no idea if that's rated capacity by the manufacturer or usable capacity as controlled by the Roadster's firmware.

R80.jpg

According to survey data from two owners (plus one more via personal correspondence), the Roadster reports the capacity of the new pack as around 214 Ah (compared to 160 Ah for the original pack). Ideal range on a full charge is reported at 340 to 343 miles.

Well, I just got the call from Scottsdale. Feb 20 is 3.0 upgrade date. Deposit placed last April......
I have 43500 miles, CAC=138 and standard charge is 165-170. I have always driven 992 pretty hard so battery life was pretty good for me. Looking forward to the extra range and added longevity to the car.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Reactions: DeedWest
Interesting theme that Roadsters are so unreliable that you can't assume you'll ever get to your destination, then he makes the statement that you really need to get the 3.0 battery. I guess that way you can be assured to get stranded as far away from civilization as possible, to maximize the fun? I'm still on the fence about ordering the 3.0 upgrade, but stuff like this makes me want to go for it.

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3 and Model 3
I'm a bit concerned about my upgrade...

I'm in Seattle while my Roadster is being upgraded to the new "3.0" battery in Maryland.

Yesterday, they said they were installing the battery, and today OVMS shows that it is charging. This should make me feel good!

However, OVMS is showing charging in Standard Mode with a current State of Charge of 79%, and reporting an Ideal Range of just 132 Miles. This sounds like my old battery range.

Does it take some driving or other steps before it starts reporting in the new range? I know that it's likely nobody here knows, but I'm beginning to worry.