Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla was soliciting orders for Roadsters in the early days, they told us that we'd be able to buy replacement batteries in the future (and even sold replacement packs in advance), and told us that the battery packs would get better in the future.

And I think we all expect both statements to come true. It's inevitable, though maybe not fast enough for some people.

Was there a time to deliver in that original battery upgrade contract?

If you're referring to the Battery Replacement Option, I have to take the option at the 10-year point. For every year past 7 years, I get a $1k check. So ideally I'll wait until the last possible moment to exercise the replacement option (because who knows, there could be even better tech then).

If you're referring to the Battery Replacement Option, I have to take the option at the 10-year point. For every year past 7 years, I get a $1k check. So ideally I'll wait until the last possible moment to exercise the replacement option (because who knows, there could be even better tech then).

Bonnie, so would your replacement option connect with the new 3.0 battery technology? I found out that my #467 came with some kind of extended battery warranty purchased by the original owner that carries over to me. I'm told I may need to exercise it this year, but I'm wondering if I can apply it to the new battery technology.

Strib

Bonnie, so would your replacement option connect with the new 3.0 battery technology? I found out that my #467 came with some kind of extended battery warranty purchased by the original owner that carries over to me. I'm told I may need to exercise it this year, but I'm wondering if I can apply it to the new battery technology.

Strib

Strib,

You certainly have some time to work this out. The earliest Battery Replacement Agreements will come up to their 7-year mark this year. Then, they have three years before they have to execute or lose their money.

Strib

Don't confuse the extended battery warranty with the battery replacement option. If you have the latter, you can exercise the option as early as 5 years with an additional fee, and as late as 10 years and get money back. After 10 years it expires and you get nothing.

Nobody knows what Tesla is going to offer Replacement Option holders WRT the 3.0 upgrade. It seems reasonable and most owners expect there will be a discount of more than was paid for the option but it's only speculation.

Strib

No pricing has been announced for the new battery, but I'm hoping that those of us with the replacement option will get a break.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't confuse the extended battery warranty with the battery replacement option. If you have the latter, you can exercise the option as early as 5 years with an additional fee, and as late as 10 years and get money back. After 10 years it expires and you get nothing.

Nobody knows what Tesla is going to offer Replacement Option holders WRT the 3.0 upgrade. It seems reasonable and most owners expect there will be a discount of more than was paid for the option but it's only speculation.

Everything Henry just said. :)

#164 is sad, it wants to enjoy the nice weather but it's still waiting for 3.0 pricing.

164-sad.png

At TMC Connect a 'reliable source' says 3.0 will be available in August. Unofficial. He also said the price would be 'reasonable' so many owners would upgrade and it wouldn't be just a rare car so Tesla could say 'look at us.' But he didn't state the price. And he didn't say if we could just purchase the battery or if only the entire 3.0 upgrade. Guestimate of price by many of us Roadster owners--$15K.

At TMC Connect a 'reliable source' says 3.0 will be available in August. Unofficial. He also said the price would be 'reasonable' so many owners would upgrade and it wouldn't be just a rare car so Tesla could say 'look at us.' But he didn't state the price. And he didn't say if we could just purchase the battery or if only the entire 3.0 upgrade.
Yes, I heard similar but the stated timeframe was only a reiteration of what Elon has said.
Guestimate of price by many of us Roadster owners--$15K.
I think it likely that the complete package will be significantly more than that, likely over $20K. I would be happy if just the battery was $15K.

$15k for a battery with something around 70 kWh capacity? :scared: That is only about $210/kWh. And, this is a speciality item made in small quantity (for sure less than the 2500 unit production of Roadsters).

Pardon me for saying this, but are you guys smoking some really good weed? (sorry, I can't seem to restrain myself)

$500/kWh would be a fair price, in my opinion anyway. Good luck in geting a bargain, but I would not get my hopes up. I would just be glad that Tesla invested in making this upgrade (finally) available (when it comes).

GSP

$15k for a battery with something around 70 kWh capacity? :scared: That is only about $210/kWh. And, this is a speciality item made in small quantity (for sure less than the 2500 unit production of Roadsters).
Agreed, and that is what I was trying to gently point out: this upgrade is going to be expensive. The quantities are small and their will likely be a lot of labor involved in building new battery packs. I raised this with Ricardo Reyes at TMC Connect and suggested that if the new Roadster battery is too pricey it could turn into a PR problem for Tesla because the anti-EV crowd will ridicule a $30K replacement battery cost as being "upgrades for rich people".

I am hopeful that Tesla factors in the marketing and PR value of the battery upgrade message, instead of the raw cost.

I also hope that my old battery which is within 3 or 4% of new will have some trade in value. If it doesn't, I will definitely be hanging on to it.