Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was a fast install.
It sure was! 2 days. I know that other 3.0 battery installs have not gone as smoothly.

I asked the Palo Alto Service Center employee how many 3.0 battery installs they had done; he thought a moment and said "I think 6 or 7."
Did they do any aerodynamic changes, as they had previously announced as part of the upgrade?
The only part of the 3.0 upgrade package that Tesla originally announced in 2015 (5 items: bigger battery, undescribed aero body changes, brake mods, new wheel bearings, different tires with lower rolling resistance) that has been made available is the bigger battery. That is what I got. Tesla has not offered for sale any of the other items, and has said nothing about their possible future availability, with the exception of a comment (someone check me to make sure I've got this right) by J.B. Straubel at the 2016 shareholders meeting that they had identified different tires but did not say when or if they would be available. It is somewhat mysterious to me that Tesla has been so quiet about those items.

That said, the new battery is obviously the major contributor to the promised increased range of the total 3.0 package, and I am thrilled to have it. But for me at least, it is not only the greatly increased range, it is also about having a battery with more modern cells that I believe are likely to degrade significantly more slowly than the original cell type used and also likely to be more tolerant of higher charge states.

I am out of the country for the next two weeks so am not able to do a 100% charge of the new battery and post a VDS photo showing the range number at a full charge. I will do that by the end of this month. Very curious to see what it shows, though I am aware that someone did that upthread and the number was impressive.

Note: when I picked up the car today I asked the service guy what the maximum battery capacity was in kWh. He didn't know. Given Teslas history of how they come up with their numbers (e.g. 60, 70, 75, 85, 90) my guess is that the 3.0 battery max capacity (not the amount that is available to the driver which is of course less) is between 75 and 80 and it is closer to 80, so Tesla rounded up. I think that is what Tesla has done for the S and X numbers.

The only part of the 3.0 upgrade package that Tesla originally announced in 2015 (5 items: bigger battery, undescribed aero body changes, brake mods, new wheel bearings, different tires with lower rolling resistance) that has been made available is the bigger battery. That is what I got. Tesla has not offered for sale any of the other items, and has said nothing about their possible future availability, with the exception of a comment (someone check me to make sure I've got this right) by J.B. Straubel at the 2016 shareholders meeting that they had identified different tires but did not say when or if they would be available.

The last time I asked about Roadster tires, I was told that the "Michelin Pilot Sport 3" was "in the database" as a supported tire for the Roadster. However, the manufacturer does not list it as being available in an appropriate size for the Roadster, and Tesla's database does not include a price or availability date. From looking at Tire Rack data, it looks like the Pilot Sport 3 could be a fairly reasonable replacement for the current-standard Yokohama AD07, with the one notable difference being that Michelin lists the Pilot Sport 3 as a "green" tire, so presumably rolling resistance is lower.

So while not proof, my hope is that Tesla requested Michelin make the Pilot Sport 3 in the Roadster's size, and we'll be seeing them available from Tesla soon. But, who knows what "soon" means, or if we will get it at all. My current battery is in GREAT shape and already has more range than I need, so I am hoping the other aspects of the 3.0 package show up.

There is a thread about what you are asking, in this same forum, 7 threads below the one you just started. See For those who have placed an order for a new 3.0 battery

There is also the "Rosdater 3.0" sticky thread in this forum where people have posted about receiving the new battery.

When I picked up my upgraded Roadster this morning at the Palo Alto Service Center, I was told they have done "6 or 7" battery upgrades there. I know that others in the US have reported that their Service Centers have done one or more upgrades.

Is the 0-60 performance faster, slower, or about the same?
As I said upthread...
I am out of the country for the next two weeks...
In any case, I do not have the ability to measure accurate 0-60 times nor the inclination. Since the motor and inverter are unchanged, and the 3.0 battery is believed to be somewhat heavier, I see no reason to think that the 0-60 time is reduced, and in fact it might be fractionally greater. I don't really don't care.

Thanks for the super informative answer

As I said upthread...

In any case, I do not have the ability to measure accurate 0-60 times nor the inclination. Since the motor and inverter are unchanged, and the 3.0 battery is believed to be somewhat heavier, I see no reason to think that the 0-60 time is reduced, and in fact it might be fractionally greater. I don't really don't care.

As I said upthread...

Someone can check my memory on this but, I'm pretty sure that it was stated (by Tesla?) that, while the 3.0 battery is "a little heavier", the ability to draw more instantaneous current makes up for the heavier battery - maintaining the 3.9/3.7 0-60 time.

I'm pretty sure that it was stated (by Tesla?) that, while the 3.0 battery is "a little heavier", the ability to draw more instantaneous current makes up for the heavier battery - maintaining the 3.9/3.7 0-60 time
I don't recall Tesla making that statement, especially considering that Tesla has been extremely stingy about releasing any details on the 3.0 battery or upgrade package (which has yet to appear.

I think what you are remember was someone's speculation. But I could be wrong...

Got a call from my SC and it seems there is new badging for the Roadsters with the 3.0 battery and they want me to come in to have it put on. If I understood it correctly the badging says "R80". Has anyone seen it? I am not one that cares much about badging so I am not sure I really want it.

Yes the picture I took of the electric blue R80 was at the Fremont factory service center parking lot. So is there a R80 sport then? ;)

Here you go -
Hmmm Either I imagined, it...or it appeared in that mythical Google Doc from Tesla that got posted here (and was taken down an hour later, never to be seen again.)

They would have to upgrade the PEM in order to provide more current to the motor so with a greater weight but same torque the 0-60 time would be slower. Perhaps we can drag race an R80 vs normal batteries ;)

Yes the picture I took of the electric blue R80 was at the Fremont factory service center parking lot.
And I wonder why that blue Roadster had two R80 badges on it? I only got one on my car. Not that I wanted two, I think that looks odd, but I'm just curious why that car you saw had two.
Here is mine.
image.jpeg

They would have to upgrade the PEM in order to provide more current to the motor so with a greater weight but same torque the 0-60 time would be slower. Perhaps we can drag race an R80 vs normal batteries ;)

The larger pack will have less voltage drop during hard acceleration so will be able to deliver more power, even without changing the PEM. It's hard to say if this offsets the weight increase - agree we need to see a drag race!