Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it looks like I might be joining the 3.0 crowd, but not exactly by choice.

I've been on the fence about the 3.0 upgrade (I "want" it but don't "need" it). However, over the weekend, #1195 died on me (yet again). Wouldn't charge and was throwing "BSM Isolation Fault" errors. Service Center picked up the car, and now they're telling me that the "Immersion Sensor" in the battery pack has activated, indicating that there is moisture in the pack...and the only real solution is to replace the pack (with a refurbished one...for a fee).

Aside from the fact that I have issues with Tesla selling a car that can't be driven in the rain, it seems like this problem has made the 3.0 upgrade a little easier. I could sink ~$5K into a repair (which will do nothing for the value of the car...it's just an expense), or I could go ahead and sink $24K more into the 3.0 pack and, not only get a new pack (not a refurbished one), with significantly more range (which would help a lot with my public charging issues (see this thread for details on that ongoing fiasco)), but it would actually increase the value of my car (making it more of an "investment" than just an "expense".)

I've got several questions pending with the Service Center before I make any decision but, I'm now leaning more heavily in the 3.0 direction than ever before.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Well, it looks like I might be joining the 3.0 crowd, but not exactly by choice.

I've been on the fence about the 3.0 upgrade (I "want" it but don't "need" it). However, over the weekend, #1195 died on me (yet again). Wouldn't charge and was throwing "BSM Isolation Fault" errors. Service Center picked up the car, and now they're telling me that the "Immersion Sensor" in the battery pack has activated, indicating that there is moisture in the pack...and the only real solution is to replace the pack (with a refurbished one...for a fee).

Aside from the fact that I have issues with Tesla selling a car that can't be driven in the rain, it seems like this problem has made the 3.0 upgrade a little easier. I could sink ~$5K into a repair (which will do nothing for the value of the car...it's just an expense), or I could go ahead and sink $24K more into the 3.0 pack and, not only get a new pack (not a refurbished one), with significantly more range (which would help a lot with my public charging issues (see this thread for details on that ongoing fiasco)), but it would actually increase the value of my car (making it more of an "investment" than just an "expense".)

I've got several questions pending with the Service Center before I make any decision but, I'm now leaning more heavily in the 3.0 direction than ever before.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. As your older sibling #1196 I hope you get your battery issue resolved quickly for the summer season. I'm currently on the waiting list for the 3.0 upgrade.

Any chance it could be a faulty sensor?

I'm sure anything is possible but, I did drive the car in heavy rains on the July 4th weekend, and the day the error happened, the car was outside in the parking lot when it rained. I'm willing to bet that the sensor is correct. Moisture got into the battery pack.

For $5K all they are doing is replacing the sensor and drying out the pack.

Nope. They're pulling the pack and replacing it with a re-manufactured pack. That's the cost for a pack exchange (this is my second one, and that's what it cost the last time, too.)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Nope. They're pulling the pack and replacing it with a re-manufactured pack. That's the cost for a pack exchange (this is my second one said:
But that price is still based on what they determined is wrong with the pack (a minor electronics issue). Even a blown internal fuse is $5K. A reman pack for bad/weak cells is still $30K. They will just replace the sensor and then sell it to someone else as remanufactured. Its too bad they stopped letting the service centers repair them. The pack could be fixed in less time that it takes to package it up and get it ready to ship.

I just charged my new 3.0 battery in Range Mode for the first time. I let it charge until it stopped on its own, and the Ideal Range figure displayed was "343mi". This was done using my HPC set to 56A. I would be interested to know what other 3.0 battery owners get when they charge in Range Mode. @Sparrow posted in the very long Roadster 3.0 thread that he got 340 miles in Range Mode charge and @Adrian Cockcroft posted that he got 340 miles also. I know @ggr got the 3.0 battery but I could not find a post by him about what he got from a Range Mode charge.

When it stopped charging the battery icon shown in the VDS still had a small bit of open space let on the far right. Does that represent the reserved part of the battery that the user cannot access? I hit "Top Off" and it started charging again at around 11A but after maybe 10 seconds it stopped and the Ideal Range remained at 343. @Sparrow posted a photo also showing that small bit of open space in the battery icon after a Range Mode charge.

Last edited:
@dhrivnak when I made my post above the Range Mode charge had completed just a few minutes earlier.

It is now about 10 minutes after completing the charge and my OVMS app is showing the Ideal Range as 341 miles, so it has dropped by 2 miles. Estimate Range is 234 miles. I find I can achieve that range number if I drive at 65 on a flat road with no headwind or rain.

Last edited:
So I let the car sit for just over an hour and the Ideal Range went down to 340 miles in Range Mode and stayed there. I didn't want to let the car sit at a full charge, so I went for a drive and took it down to 274 Ideal Miles and 192 Estimated in Standard Mode. I noticed that the battery icon in the VDS still showed full (no gap on the far right side). Interesting. With my old battery I rarely charged the car to full in Range Mode, and don't recall what the battery icon showed after a short drive in Standard Mode.

@Sparrow, the sticker on my 3.0 battery looks exactly like yours except the serial number ends in a 6. I would not assume that means it is the 6th battery made. The Palo Alto Service Center told me almost 3 weeks ago that they have installed 6 or 7 3.0 batteries,. The serial numbers may not be assigned in the production sequence order. We really don't know.
I think I got the 5th 3.0 battery for 1.5 Roadsters.
View attachment 180171

Last edited:
Reactions: cswolfe
image.jpeg