Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Torrance SC this morning and there were at least 5 Roadsters behind the fence. The Service Manager stated they were all waiting for 3.0 battery upgrade.
Presuming that only one car would be upgraded at a time, why would the other owners later in sequence allow their cars to sit at the SC? This gets back to the "why own the car but not drive it" thread.

UPDATE - when I was at the Torrance SC this am to pick up my car - I got a better look at the parking lot - there were 11 Roadsters waiting for battery 3.0. The Service Manager said that Torrance (and Costa Mesa) does all the battery upgrades, however, several of these cars have been sitting there for months. Can't imagine just letting a car like that sit outside - even So Cal.

Perhaps it is the main place for all SoCal Roadster service? In which case some of those Roadsters might be there waiting for other kinds of service?

Yes.

In the LA and OC areas, Torrance is the main location for Roadster service...

That's why we go there directly. Tesla tows roadsters brought into a local LA or OC service center to Torrance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Service Rep specifically stated they were all there for battery 3.0s - didn't say anything about other types of service. On Thursday late afternoon I got a call from the Service Dept saying my car would be ready 1st thing Friday morning - the car spent the night there - wasn't really happy about that but I didn't ask why. Some of those Roadsters had enough dirt on them to appear they have been there a while.

Wow......992 is on the list for 3.0 conversion. I hope it doesn't have to go to Torrence for the work. But then again I'll bet they are getting pretty good at completing the process.

I have asked before on this thread about 3.0 conversion in AZ but didn't find the response. Soooooo..... Anybody get one done in Scottsdale or Mesa (if it's open)??

Nearly $30K for a 3.0? Here's my 2.0 withOUT the upgrade and NOT photoshopped!
IMG_4200.JPG

So got call today from Rockville and sched for Oct 6. Ordered Sept 8. They say still a number of weeks for parts to get there they just wanted to book the appointment. Is there any consensus on best placement for the badge (Sport)? I did not see any pics. I'll record some numbers but not sure how to get weight simply.

In shop Oct 6, called Monday about status - they had to drain the battery and that would take some time, maybe ready on Friday. Its Sunday after and no call yet. Anyone ever hear of req for battery to be discharged? (Wouldn't it be a good idea to tell owner weeks before it comes in to keep charge down so time in shop decreased? ) Will call again and see whats up.

Either they feel safer removing the battery when its fully discharged or Tesla is just going to scrap the old sheets/cells and recycle the materials. I'd think they'd evaluate the old sheets and make those available for the legacy packs. You should inquire why they're doing that. Would be nice if they captured that stored energy and used it rather than lose it which I'm sure the latter they're doing.

In shop Oct 6, called Monday about status - they had to drain the battery and that would take some time, maybe ready on Friday. Its Sunday after and no call yet. Anyone ever hear of req for battery to be discharged? (Wouldn't it be a good idea to tell owner weeks before it comes in to keep charge down so time in shop decreased? ) Will call again and see whats up.
They did tell me beforehand, and I did deliver the car to the SC with a low charge level, yet they still used that excuse for delay.