Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not 3.0 as once on a 100+ degree day when driving I did see a power limited mode. The car had also spent the day in the sun on a hot parking lot so I was definitely warm soaked.

I got a power limit warning and compressor over heat warning after a long drive in AZ heat. I put car in cool garage and charged with only one problem The Estimated Range readout went wacky and has not reset in two days. It reads around 56m when the Ideal Range seems pretty true at 226m for Standard with 3.0.

I got a power limit warning and compressor over heat warning after a long drive in AZ heat. I put car in cool garage and charged with only one problem The Estimated Range readout went wacky and has not reset in two days. It reads around 56m when the Ideal Range seems pretty true at 226m for Standard with 3.0.
That should clear up after 40 miles of driving as the range is calculated from the last 40 miles.

Reactions: AtAge19
Update: As many here know, I had my motor, PEM and battery replaced for the "BSM: isolation fault". Yesterday I took the car for a little spin, and got the same error again!! Only covered 500km since new parts were installed. I believe now that they replaced € 61000 worth of parts, but failed to identify the root cause in the first place. I have lost all confidence in the local expertise.

Believe it or not: Battery has been replaced again, and I still get the "BSM: isolation fault" errors. Now A/C is also throwing "OverTemp" & "Pressure too high" errors, and stops working every 5 seconds...

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I just noticed a 3.0 quirk and was wondering if anyone else has seen similar. When I initially got the 3.0 battery I was about 20 miles from home when the range became indeterminate. Just prior it was showing about 30+ miles so I thought I would get home with about 10 miles of range. Unfortunately about 10 miles later the battery suddenly died, far sooner than I would have thought. Last week a took a longish trip and stopped by a friends with about 55 miles of range. After a short visit I turned the car back on and I showed about 30 miles of range. 20 miles vanished in a 15 minute visit. Again today I stopped at a place after a long drive with 70 miles of range showing. After about 15-20 minutes when I turned the car back on and my 70 miles was down to 40 miles. So do I have a problem or does the 3.0 firmware not properly calculate the low end of the battery status?

Yes both myself and @Kerios saw this right away. The indeterminate range starts at about 40 miles left now. Even more worrying, and this almost got me on a flatbed, I had ~45 miles when getting on the channel tunnel train last year and 30 minutes later when I started up on the other side it had dropped to nothing. I limped to a charge point 5 miles away as gingerly as I could.

@m0rph Where are they getting these batteries?#&??
--

I don't have a clue, they don't communicate at all about what they're doing. It did take them 2 months to put it in, instead of the promised 2 weeks. Both replacement batteries had a "REMANUFACTURED" label, but were certainly not "like new". The first one had 142 CAC (and dropped to 128 after only 500km's) and last one only has 122 CAC.

FWIW - the "email me when this item is restocked" is again appearing on the 3.0 battery upgrade page with the optimistic message: "We will send you an email when the item is restocked!"

Screenshots are below for proof and posterity.

I am pretty sure the upgrade is coming back and with a revised battery chemistry and improved degradation profile. I have heard a bit more information through other channels as well, but that information is unfortunately not mine to disclose.

I think the plan (for now) is for the upgrade to return, but when is subject to the frustrating variability of Tesla-time. I would also guess, aside from the engineering, that the financial health and outlook of the company as a whole will play a part in this as well.

Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 10.51.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 10.53.24 PM.png

When I was shopping for Roadsters I was conflicted on getting one with the 3.0 battery because of the degradation issues. I'm glad I did since if there is a problem at least someone already spent the money on the upgrade and not me! I really do hope they bring it back and fix the problems but I'm not holding my breath.

CAC 155,5 after 10 years and 7100miles and still with original battery. So some of the original batteries still looks to be very healthy. Std charge gives me 306km (190miles) range ln the display now.

Has not been in warm climates and always connected with the chargecable (Std-charge). And former owner was a very carful gentleman. Newer rangecharged (only once in 10 years!), never drove below 30% i think and almost never used the full Power. So I´ll try to keep on that track to see if it can stay healthy for some more years to come.

But I see your Point! Better if SOMEONE ELSE hast spent those 30k+$ on the upgrade, because that day will sooner or later come!

Attachments

• IMG_7650.JPG
    IMG_7650.JPG
    526 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
CAC 155,5 after 10 years and 7100miles and still with original battery. So some of the original batteries still looks to be very healthy. Std charge gives me 306km (190miles) range ln the display now.

Has not been in warm climates and always connected with the chargecable (Std-charge). And former owner was a very carful gentleman. Newer rangecharged (only once in 10 years!), never drove below 30% i think and almost never used the full Power. So I´ll try to keep on that track to see if it can stay healthy for some more years to come.

But I see your Point! Better if SOMEONE ELSE hast spent those 30k+$ on the upgrade, because that day will sooner or later come!
Very informative on how to prolong the life of a healthy roadster I'm about to acquire

My 3.0 is at about 177 and also showing just over 190 in a standard charge. I'm getting close to 50K on the new pack. Another year or so and it may well be down to the level of a new original pack.

The 3.0 cells suck.

My 3.0 is at about 177 and also showing just over 190 in a standard charge. I'm getting close to 50K on the new pack. Another year or so and it may well be down to the level of a new original pack.

The 3.0 cells suck.
so if my back of the napkin math is right you paid about $10,000 per year to have longer range, then its gone? (3.0 battery is 30k right?)

Reactions: ICON
> Has not been in warm climates and always connected with the chargecable (Std-charge). And former owner was a very carful gentleman. > Newer rangecharged (only once in 10 years!), never drove below 30% i think and almost never used the full Power. So I´ll try to keep on
> that track to see if it can stay healthy for some more years to come. [LeoNordic]

With the original battery there is no need to be so obsessively restrictive IMHO; that oem battery was made to be enjoyed.
--

so if my back of the napkin math is right you paid about $10,000 per year to have longer range, then its gone? (3.0 battery is 30k right?)

It's not quite that bad. I'm about three years in, and while it standard charges to 190-something, standard mode is 20% less than full, rather than the 10% with the standard battery. So, the range mode charge is more like 290, which is still quite a bit better than a new original battery at 244.

Maybe another year or two before it's the same as an original battery. The rate of decline is much less than at the beginning.

Still, this is far from optimal.

Since it was mentioned in this post:

New battery advice 2008 Roadster

I can also share I heard from reliable sources that Tesla plans on re-releasing the Roadster battery upgrade by the end of 2019. However, I would personally be surprised if Tesla actually meets that timeline.

I hope Tesla surprises me.
If they use Model 3 cells... I'd buy the upgrade in a heartbeat.

Reactions: AtAge19 and hcsharp
Since it was mentioned in this post:

New battery advice 2008 Roadster

I can also share I heard from reliable sources that Tesla plans on re-releasing the Roadster battery upgrade by the end of 2019. However, I would personally be surprised if Tesla actually meets that timeline.

I hope Tesla surprises me.

At this point I'm thinking I'll take my $30k and save it for the new Roadster. Just sell my old one when the new Roadster is out. It's a tough choice though as I love my 2010 #609 and would love to have the new battery so I could drive it to my parent's house. But the new Roadster will have that tiny backseat, which is perfect for the dog, so it's a tough choice!

At this point I'm thinking I'll take my $30k and save it for the new Roadster. Just sell my old one when the new Roadster is out. It's a tough choice though as I love my 2010 #609 and would love to have the new battery so I could drive it to my parent's house. But the new Roadster will have that tiny backseat, which is perfect for the dog, so it's a tough choice!
Do you ever take your dog in the current roadster? If so, any seat/ interior protection tips?

I
Do you ever take your dog in the current roadster? If so, any seat/ interior protection tips?

I haven't because when I'm going, I usually have the wife, and she gets upset when I opt to take the dog over her! Any standard seat cover should work, although dog hair can be a bit hard to get out of floor mats. Had that issue with my Model S that I got rid of.

I don't have a clue, they don't communicate at all about what they're doing. It did take them 2 months to put it in, instead of the promised 2 weeks. Both replacement batteries had a "REMANUFACTURED" label, but were certainly not "like new". The first one had 142 CAC (and dropped to 128 after only 500km's) and last one only has 122 CAC.

The same thing happened when I had my previous 2.5 Sport battery replaced. The CAC began at 140, and eventually dropped & steadied itself around 129. At least it's balanced...