Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the first version of the battery upgrade a few years ago and just found out about reported degradation. My OVMS reports CAC 191.3Ah and SOH: 86%..
Anybody know what that means.

Ignore SOH - I don't think that will report correctly for 3.0 batteries.

Output of 'metric list v.b' will give more details on the raw numbers (in particularly the balance of the pack).

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a and drewski
Thanks,
I got up this morning and to my dismay the OVMS was not connected! No panic on my part .... I live in Sedona where some truly wacky stuff happens tp electronics for no reason. The program actually told me it couldn't find WiFi and wanted to switch to cellular. That is way cool..... system running.

I pulled up report 'metric list v.b" and got a lot of information. Is there an explanation of the values anywhere?

The program actually told me it couldn't find WiFi and wanted to switch to cellular. That is way cool..... system running.

I don't know of any such function or alert/notification. What exactly did it say?

Ah shoot......... lost connection again. Is there any way I can choose cellular data over WiFi in the APP?

The module will always prefer to use WiFi if it can. It will also maintain a cellular data connection (so long as you are in reach of a cell tower), and fall back to using that if there is no WiFi available.

The 'network status' command will show you the summary of what is being used.

Follow this link: Battery Survey « Plug In America

Then just fill in the blanks. The page explains where to find the information needed, but feel free to message me with any questions. If you're reading your CAC, you're already ahead of the game, especially for a sixth grader! :)

@tomsax - Sounds good I'll get the information to you via the form. I can't believe that I haven't done this before but I will submit the initial form again since the battery upgrade has no doubt changed things. Before the upgrade my original battery was
down to 160 standard and around 200 range. Don't remember the CAC. Ill need to do a range charge before completing the form though.

It would be helpful to get your stats on the Roadster survey. That will let you see how your car compares to others and let others get more info on the performance of the new battery packs.

Thanks for the link, Tom. I'll fill it out when I get my baby back. Car is at @CM_007 's shop for some minor issues. Hope to have it back this coming week and can fill out survey then.

I applied for a new 3.0 battery and I was sent an estimate/invoice from Tesla for $31K. Do I pay now or upon delivery in a year or so?????

Usually they request a deposit (I think it's $5,000 in the US) then you pay the rest when the work is done.

I'm surprised you got notice they were moving forward. Last I heard there was a long waiting list, so perhaps they're beginning to chip away at that list?

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
I applied for a new 3.0 battery and I was sent an estimate/invoice from Tesla for $31K. Do I pay now or upon delivery in a year or so?????
I have serious doubts about this. I have ordered 2 years ago and they explicit said that delivery will take more than 1 year and a deposit is not necessary. "I will be in the queue". Chasing the SC every month now and I get everytime the answer they do not know yet when delivery will take place.
It is very uncertain if they ever will start delivery. In US they are trying to convince owners to give up on the Roadster and trade in for model 3. It is almost looking like they treat you like GM was doing when they "killed the electric car".

I applied for the upgrade also and was told I am on the waiting list...,

I have serious doubts about this. I have ordered 2 years ago and they explicit said that delivery will take more than 1 year and a deposit is not necessary. "I will be in the queue". Chasing the SC every month now and I get everytime the answer they do not know yet when delivery will take place.
It is very uncertain if they ever will start delivery. In US they are trying to convince owners to give up on the Roadster and trade in for model 3. It is almost looking like they treat you like GM was doing when they "killed the electric car".

I applied for the upgrade also and was told I am on the waiting list...,

This just confirms my thought that we need a company willing to build batteries for the community from scratch with new cells. So far Gruber and Medlock are only rebuilding packs with existing Tesla cell sheets from damaged Roadsters with good packs. Someone I'm sure could do it for less than Tesla and have the packs work as well. Thoughts?

Specifically, we need sheets (along with BMB boards). The current design is pretty compact, and welded in place. I think it would be hard (but not impossible) to make an exact replacement with the exact same electrical characteristics (to avoid firmware issues). The issue is scale. How big is the market?

Reactions: ra88it
Specifically, we need sheets (along with BMB boards). The current design is pretty compact, and welded in place. I think it would be hard (but not impossible) to make an exact replacement with the exact same electrical characteristics (to avoid firmware issues). The issue is scale. How big is the market?
Unfortunately, that is always the final question... and in our case, the market is not very large.

My opinion is with all the manufacturers (eventually) going electric, aftermarket independent shops will eventually start to pop up, and even performance electric shops. It would be great if someone came up a modular design so that they could make different batteries for different applications. Not sure when this would happen, and if someone does make something specific for the Roadster, due to the limited market, it will undoubtedly be expensive.

Reactions: edable

If Tesla is not interested in us bothering them, they should put out all their technical documentation on the web, open source their software, and license all their patents to the common and then the hobbiest community can take full advantage of that and do it ourselves.