Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For short range models. I doubt Battery Day will be about LiFePO4, unless they've found a revolutionary way to boost it's density. Plus his comments about needing more nickel suggests they are still heavily invested in Ni based chemistry.

Looking more and more like LiFePO batteries are the future for Tesla consistent with my July 2020 comments: Elon Musk’s Tesla Model 3 cobalt-free strategy is ushering in an LFP battery movement

Wonder if we'll see a 3.0 battery with them?

Looking more and more like LiFePO batteries are the future for Tesla consistent with my July 2020 comments

I think battery day may be devoted to their LiFePo efforts, which is why I raise this question.
Your comment was that battery day may be devoted to LiFePO. It was not. My comment was that LiFePO would likely focus on low range lower end models, which it is.

Oh well. Just received an e-mail from the Tesla legal department. Claiming that 3.0 battery production has already (re-)started, and deliveries in Europe will happen end 2021/ early 2022. But that's not the first time a lawyer writes this. I'm so curious to see if people in US will actually receive their batteries soon.

Reactions: GSP
Oh well. Just received an e-mail from the Tesla legal department. Claiming that 3.0 battery production has already (re-)started, and deliveries in Europe will happen end 2021/ early 2022. But that's not the first time a lawyer writes this. I'm so curious to see if people in US will actually receive their batteries soon.
Peter Gruber statedTesla just installed a 3.0 ESS in a two year bricked Roadster from one of his most recent videos.

Maybe time to close this chat room down. On 5/15 Jared Jknudsen stated on the Roadster Onwers Club FB page "After waiting over 2 1/2 years, 850 is finally in Orlando getting a new 3.0 battery."
🙌

Man, I feel bad for you guys. When I left, roadster 3.0 packs were put on the back burner as they're currently setting up old Model S/X legacy powertrain lines, cell engineering teams not qualifying LG cells because of the new S/X lines/cells in progress. What little roadster group is left is only building about 3 reman packs a week, if they even have cells for that.

Reactions: IslandRoadster
BTW, does anyone have any information on the "3.1" (my branding) packs? So far, the scheduling person at Tesla doesn't have any new information, except that they "store roughly 40% more energy," a RANGE charge should net me 330 miles, and they weigh slightly more. All of that sounds like the old 3.0 battery. I'm not prepared to pay $29k for that battery.

This one has to be different, right? o_O

BTW, does anyone have any information on the "3.1" (my branding) packs? So far, the scheduling person at Tesla doesn't have any new information, except that they "store roughly 40% more energy," a RANGE charge should net me 330 miles, and they weigh slightly more. All of that sounds like the old 3.0 battery. I'm not prepared to pay $29k for that battery.

perhaps they’re using slightly different chemistry that performs a bit better? #HopeSpringsEternal

So the Roadster email guy didn't know about the earlier 3.0 upgrade packs. After I told him about them and the problems those had he came back with that these are new packs. Which of course isn't true, they're new cells - but whatever. I'll ask at the Service Center when I bring my car in, but I really doubt Tesla would resurrect the old 3.0 batteries after discontinuing them because of problems. And I think on a FB group, Gruber mentioned that these are new cells are better.

And as much grief as we give Tesla, I don't know any other OEM that has any kind of upgrade program for 10+ year old vehicles. That's pretty darn cool and may be contributing to the resale market for old Roadsters.

So, am I the first to get this new 3.1 battery upgrade? (EDIT: Apparently not, but no-one here?)

Last edited:
So the Roadster email guy didn't know about the earlier 3.0 upgrade packs. After I told him about them and the problems those had he came back with that these are new packs. Which of course isn't true, they're new cells - but whatever. I'll ask at the Service Center when I bring my car in, but I really doubt Tesla would resurrect the old 3.0 batteries after discontinuing them because of problems. And I think on a FB group, Gruber mentioned that these are new cells are better.

And as much grief as we give Tesla, I don't know any other OEM that has any kind of upgrade program for 10+ year old vehicles. That's pretty darn cool and may be contributing to the resale market for old Roadsters.

So, am I the first to get this new 3.1 battery upgrade? (EDIT: Apparently not, but no-one here?)
Still suspicious. The lack of clear communication from the company on what exactly is going on here is the problem. Saying they are "new" cells could only mean they "aren't used or recycled", or perhaps are the same type of cells but from a new batch. That they weren't even aware of the problem tells me not to trust what they do state about the solution. Unless there is an explicit statement that these are Model S cells (or something else well proven), I personally wouldn't trust it.

Regarding Tesla grief, consider that GM was the other OEM to take perfectly good cars off the road and destroy them. Google "EV-1." But, yes, it is cool that we can get a new battery for an old car.

Still suspicious. The lack of clear communication from the company on what exactly is going on here is the problem. Saying they are "new" cells could only mean they "aren't used or recycled", or perhaps are the same type of cells but from a new batch. That they weren't even aware of the problem tells me not to trust what they do state about the solution. Unless there is an explicit statement that these are Model S cells (or something else well proven), I personally wouldn't trust it.

Regarding Tesla grief, consider that GM was the other OEM to take perfectly good cars off the road and destroy them. Google "EV-1." But, yes, it is cool that we can get a new battery for an old car.

we need an enterprising electrical engineer to build us good packs from scratch using cells we know are good. Is that too much to ask? 😉

There's evidence for both possibilities (new, improved chemistry vs 3.0 poor-performing chemistry).
I'm in the same boat you are. I have the battery replacement program and recently had to put in my order before 10 years was up. It would be REALLY nice if they could give us a little information. Here's what I've been told by Tesla (as opposed to what I've heard or assumed):

They are currently building 3 packs a month. I will probably have to wait at least until the end of 2022 before my pack will be delivered. They suggested that I may have been given lower priority due to the fact that my car is driveable and I'm not suing them like some people with replacement contracts. When I later asked to confirm this, they would not. My 10 year old pack is in excellent condition (charges to 160 mi std mode).

They will also need to swap out my PEM. My thoughts: This is one of the things that worries me. The 3.0 batteries required a new board in the PEM to enable different charging voltages. It's not conclusive but the fact that they still have to modify the PEM hardware leads me to wonder if they're giving us the same cells as the 3.0 packs. I hope not. Again, more communication would be helpful.

Here's what I've heard from other, non-official sources:

They are delivering replacement packs in fits and starts. I don't know anybody on this forum who has received one but I have sold CAN adapters to two owners who received reman packs recently. Neither of these owners were very tech savvy and had no idea how it was performing compared to their old packs. They were just happy to have their cars back on the road again.