Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off the phone with the Tesla rep who is now handling Roadster Support. He took over from Matt K about a year ago. He provided a lot of answers to the important questions we've all been asking. The reason for the phone call was I exercised my option under the Battery Replacement Program that I purchased when I bought my Roadster new (VIN 1150). It was refreshing to get answers after we've all been kept in the dark for so long. Having said that, a couple of his answers seemed hard to believe which might cast a little doubt over his other answers, but he was sincere and doing his best to provide complete and accurate information. Some of his answers were good news if true.

• Me: Are these the same LG cells as the previous 3.0 pack? A: No. These are completely new technology and are not expected to have the same longevity issues as the original 3.0 cells. They are made by Tesla.
  • Will Tesla also replace my PEM? A: Yes. He believes that the PEM is brand new, not refurbished. Me: I don't trust this as it would take enormous resources to manufacture/validate brand new PEMs vs reman. Perhaps you mean some of the components are new? A: "I believe these are all new PEMs."
  • What is the capacity of the replacement pack? A: He doesn't know the exact capacity in kWh. However, it has approximately 40% more capacity than the original pack. Most of them are charging up to about 330 miles in Range mode. It is also a few pounds heaver, but not much.
  • Is there any warranty on the new pack? A: Yes. Three years or 36k miles, whichever comes first. Normal degradation is not covered.
  • How soon can I get one? A: We are ready to schedule your appointment as soon as the service center has time. The battery is on its way. We are moving quickly through the list of people who have placed a $5k deposit on a 3.0 battery and others like you with replacement contracts.

• Me: Are these the same LG cells as the previous 3.0 pack? A: No. These are completely new technology and are not expected to have the same longevity issues as the original 3.0 cells. They are made by Tesla. /new 3.0b packs are charging again like LG cells up to 4,35v and none of Tesla cells do. hard to belive that they made completly new cell just for Roadster/
  • Will Tesla also replace my PEM? A: Yes. He believes that the PEM is brand new, not refurbished. Me: I don't trust this as it would take enormous resources to manufacture/validate brand new PEMs vs reman. Perhaps you mean some of the components are new? A: "I believe these are all new PEMs." /new pem for 29000 with battery? never.../

I just got off the phone with the Tesla rep who is now handling Roadster Support. He took over from Matt K about a year ago. He provided a lot of answers to the important questions we've all been asking. The reason for the phone call was I exercised my option under the Battery Replacement Program that I purchased when I bought my Roadster new (VIN 1150). It was refreshing to get answers after we've all been kept in the dark for so long. Having said that, a couple of his answers seemed hard to believe which might cast a little doubt over his other answers, but he was sincere and doing his best to provide complete and accurate information. Some of his answers were good news if true.

• Me: Are these the same LG cells as the previous 3.0 pack? A: No. These are completely new technology and are not expected to have the same longevity issues as the original 3.0 cells. They are made by Tesla.
  • Will Tesla also replace my PEM? A: Yes. He believes that the PEM is brand new, not refurbished. Me: I don't trust this as it would take enormous resources to manufacture/validate brand new PEMs vs reman. Perhaps you mean some of the components are new? A: "I believe these are all new PEMs."
  • What is the capacity of the replacement pack? A: He doesn't know the exact capacity in kWh. However, it has approximately 40% more capacity than the original pack. Most of them are charging up to about 330 miles in Range mode. It is also a few pounds heaver, but not much.
  • Is there any warranty on the new pack? A: Yes. Three years or 36k miles, whichever comes first. Normal degradation is not covered.
  • How soon can I get one? A: We are ready to schedule your appointment as soon as the service center has time. The battery is on its way. We are moving quickly through the list of people who have placed a $5k deposit on a 3.0 battery and others like you with replacement contracts.
I can tell you based on my experience that all that was changed on the PEM was a new board to support the new battery pack They said my old PEM was reinstalled after the board was swapped out.

I can tell you based on my experience that all that was changed on the PEM was a new board to support the new battery pack They said my old PEM was reinstalled after the board was swapped out.
I think this is going to be very much dependent on what SC you go to. Pretty sure someone will be desperate to get their hands on a new 3.0 to reverse engineer what ever they can.

I think this is going to be very much dependent on what SC you go to. Pretty sure someone will be desperate to get their hands on a new 3.0 to reverse engineer what ever they can.
When I spoke to the Watertown SC (near Boston) about this a couple of months ago, the rep their said that the last 3.0 battery was delivered to them with a "new PEM" to install. So it is pretty strange that sometimes a 3.0 comes with just a board and sometimes with a whole new PEM. I hope I get the latter.

Question asked and answered on this Gruber video live now!

David Jones Do you know if new 3.0 battery pack has new PEM or just a new board for the original PEM? We get different answers from Tesla.

Question asked and answered on this Gruber video live now!

David Jones Do you know if new 3.0 battery pack has new PEM or just a new board for the original PEM? We get different answers from Tesla.
My bet is they prefer not to open the PEM at the SC to replace the board, so when shipping the battery, they ship a "new" PEM to replace the PEM in the car. Whether they are refurbishing the PEM to make it "new" or it is just a PEM with the new board is unknown, unless someone opens up the PEM to see what it looks like...I have not listened to Gruber's podcast yet, so perhaps he can get access to a "new" PEM and verify the condition...

Asked and answered by the same person? Not exactly an official response. I don’t think any 3rd party shops have a secret backdoor to Tesla, despite what they would hope to have us believe. I know my SC will be fitting a different PEM as they are not allowed to pull mine apart. But I also know they will do it with my jdemo charger on the car

Henry, that's great news – thank you for having investigated. I'm in a different situation since I never got the "chance" to pay the $5K deposit; my recent contacts with Mike V. behind the [email protected] address indicate that I'm basically on the waitlist to access the waitlist... He said that "5 to 8 Roadster battery packs are built per month" but didn't want to give me a rough ETA.

Did you hear any indication on how quickly they move through the primary waitlist?

Cheers,
PF

The next question is "What happens when they get through the backlog?" Will this be the end of the 3.0's, leaving those of us who (currently) have good-enough batteries out in the cold in the future? My CAC is 139 and change, and it's all working fine. But it won't last forever.

Any mention of how long the new 3.0's will be produced?

The next question is "What happens when they get through the backlog?" Will this be the end of the 3.0's, leaving those of us who (currently) have good-enough batteries out in the cold in the future? My CAC is 139 and change, and it's all working fine. But it won't last forever.

Any mention of how long the new 3.0's will be produced?
No direct indication, but Mike V. confirmed that I'm on the waitlist (for the waitlist!) and that they "work diligently on our battery production so owners like yourself can have their Roadster back on the road". I dare to think that's an indirect indication they intend to keep producing as long as there are customers willing to pay.

My Roadster went into the SC on July 22nd for the battery upgrade. They contacted me a few days ago and said that they could not yet do the swap as my existing battery was fairly full when I turned the car over to them and they need it down to about 10% of a full charge. I wish I had known, I could have reduced the battery charge level before driving the car to them.
I would welcome suggestions for how to monitor the capability of this new pack. I cannot promise I will be driving the car a lot over the next several months, but at least we can watch for a time degradation of battery capacity.
While I have been trying to take a crash course in Roadster Battery Fundamentals 101 through reading these forum posts, I am not yet fluent on what I should be watching for or how to do it (SoC, CAC, DoD, balanced sheets/bricks, etc.).
Let's hope Tesla has made improvements from the original 3.0 battery program and our Roadsters can now get an extended lease on life!!