Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought my car in today for a 3.0 battery. I purchased the replacement program when my Roadster was new. Another label said the CAC was 215; minSOC was 25.6; maxSOC was 35.6.

My original battery is in pretty good shape. CAC is 138.12 and charged up to 210 miles after settling (range mode) today before I drove down to Boston. I almost didn't want to go ahead with this. My car is working so well that I didn't want to stir up any new problems! I'm sure I'll be happy to have the extra range when I get it back.

IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1856.JPG

When was the deadline for your replacement warranty?
I had to notify Tesla of my intent to exercise the contract by June 2021. I waited as long as I could and let them know in May. At first they said there's a shortage of replacement packs so I should expect to wait at least a year and possibly 18 months. Then in July they called me (yes, a human being from Tesla Corporate actually called me) and said they would be ready in early August. Then the service center asked if they could re-schedule for Sept because the ESS swaps were taking longer than they expected. The communication was good and I was happy with all of it.

I know another Roadster owner who tried to exercise his option several months before I did but they scheduled him a month after me even though his deadline was the same as mine. You have to wonder...

I brought my car in today for a 3.0 battery. I purchased the replacement program when my Roadster was new. Another label said the CAC was 215; minSOC was 25.6; maxSOC was 35.6.

My original battery is in pretty good shape. CAC is 138.12 and charged up to 210 miles after settling (range mode) today before I drove down to Boston. I almost didn't want to go ahead with this. My car is working so well that I didn't want to stir up any new problems! I'm sure I'll be happy to have the extra range when I get it back.

View attachment 704979View attachment 704980
It’s great news to see that you’re also receiving a new PEM assembly with the 3.0 board pre-installed.

I too am utilizing my Replacement Guarantee, and the service center has had my 3.0 pack for a few weeks now, but still waiting on this entire PEM. Will update here as I learn more.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewski and im4uttx
I learned from Pete Gruber the PEM was designed and built by a company in Taiwan (I forgot the name) . As I recall, he didn't think they were building them anymore. Interesting the date code on the box is 2017. Almost indicates Tesla has a stock of NOS PEMS's???

I learned from Pete Gruber the PEM was designed and built by a company in Taiwan (I forgot the name) . As I recall, he didn't think they were building them anymore. Interesting the date code on the box is 2017. Almost indicates Tesla has a stock of NOS PEMS's???
The sticker says "CHROMA P/N:". Chroma seems to be a global company with a headquarter in Taiwan and roughly the right business area. Could that be it?

The sticker says "CHROMA P/N:". Chroma seems to be a global company with a headquarter in Taiwan and roughly the right business area. Could that be it?
Yes... that's the company Chroma ATE...it’s fascinating to me Tesla turned to them since AC Propulsion's analog drive technology didn’t suit them. I would imagine they could quickly provide the HP in a compact space as well since AC's biggest drive at the time was far less. Chroma probably had the resources in place to produce something quickly that could talk CAN bus and integrate charging capability as well. It would be nice if Pete chimed in with his amazing knowledge of some of the current and back history on the PEM. I consider it to be a game changer and amazing piece of Engineering that quickly put Tesla at the forefront of the traction control and drive needed.

Could it be Tesla ordered a whack of these to support the 3.0 program back in the day it started or are they using old labeling on a new box to package a refurbished drive?

Last edited:
Yes... that's the company Chroma ATE...it’s fascinating to me Tesla turned to them since AC Propulsion's analog drive technology didn’t suit them. I would imagine they could quickly provide the HP in a compact space as well since AC's biggest drive at the time was far less. Chroma probably had the resources in place to produce something quickly that could talk CAN bus and integrate charging capability as well. It would be nice if Pete chimed in with his amazing knowledge of some of the current and back history on the PEM. I consider it to be a game changer and amazing piece of Engineering that quickly put Tesla at the forefront of the traction control and drive needed.
My understanding was that JB Straubel and team within Tesla Motors designed and engineered at least the prototype of the digital drive system.

I doubt the PEM was the issue. Its simply copying a design. One that by today’s standards could probably be repackaged in a smaller format and with better components like power transistors. The components are probably cheaper than ever before. Trying to copy a battery that should not fail that needs QC for the labor of removing an ESS compared to the simplicity of pulling the PEM and actually having the correct cells (rather than 2 watch batteries in a 18650 case) would be the hardest part of the design. I doubt the new 3.0 pack is substantially different in charge/discharge profile, cooling requirements and cell capacity that the original 3.0 so you could certainly use the old PEM. Also a good reason the 3.0 replacements were priority as they only needed a pack change, regardless of what, or who’s list they were already on. The 3.0 wait list may also had PEM’s assigned to them so it would make sense to have them in next.

Also a good reason the 3.0 replacements were priority as they only needed a pack change, regardless of what, or who’s list they were already on. The 3.0 wait list may also had PEM’s assigned to them so it would make sense to have them in next.
3.0 replacements? I have not heard here about anyone with a 2015/2016 3.0 battery getting it replaced with a current 3.0 battery.

I was curious about that, too. I wonder if that's the date that it was removed from another vehicle before refurbishing. Tesla isn't building any new PEMs and they've had an ongoing shortage of PEMs so it's not likely to be the year it was upgraded or rebuilt.
Very likely they're just cycling through PEMs that they have, replacing them with units from cars when their packs are redone. Same for the ESS shell and other components.

What we do not know is what "refurbish" means to Tesla. They need to update (presumably replace) one of the internal boards, and re-flash the firmware, but what about stuff like the insulation under the IGBTs?

Don't you have a super low mileage example?

If so, why upgrade it to 3.0 until some point in the future.
Maybe just add yourself to the list and push it out as long as you can?
Yes the car had 5727 when I picked it up, and batteries due age. At some point this is going to fall off a cliff.

Attachments

• IMG_4981.jpeg
    IMG_4981.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: drewski
My original battery is in pretty good shape. CAC is 138.12 and charged up to 210 miles after settling (range mode) today before I drove down to Boston. I almost didn't want to go ahead with this. My car is working so well that I didn't want to stir up any new problems!

Well, that's the situation I'm in right now. First problem was that a cable inside the battery wasn't attached properly, so I had to bring the car back (it shutdown on the drive to the SC). Now the PEM is overheating on roads and outside temps that it never overheated on before. So, back it goes in a couple of weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
Well, that's the situation I'm in right now. First problem was that a cable inside the battery wasn't attached properly, so I had to bring the car back (it shutdown on the drive to the SC). Now the PEM is overheating on roads and outside temps that it never overheated on before. So, back it goes in a couple of weeks.
Good chance that when they replaced the PEM they didn't properly re-attach the blower housing that keeps it cool. It attaches under the driver's side of the PEM. You may be able to see the edge of it between the PEM and ESS. I had that happen to mine, and I was able to wiggle and wedge it into place well enough from above to let me drive the car to the SC for them to attach it properly. That was one disaster of an "annual maintenance" visit.

Be careful, though. The daily top-off charging can overtemp the PEM, too.

Good chance that when they replaced the PEM they didn't properly re-attach the blower housing that keeps it cool. It attaches under the driver's side of the PEM. You may be able to see the edge of it between the PEM and ESS. I had that happen to mine, and I was able to wiggle and wedge it into place well enough from above to let me drive the car to the SC for them to attach it properly. That was one disaster of an "annual maintenance" visit.

Be careful, though. The daily top-off charging can overtemp the PEM, too.
This happened to mine too. The PEM was hovering at 57C during highway driving, which I knew was wrong. I put my hand above the gap between the ESS & PEM, and sure enough, I could feel the blower sending air right up through that crack instead of into the PEM.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
3.0 replacements? I have not heard here about anyone with a 2015/2016 3.0 battery getting it replaced with a current 3.0 battery.

To be honest I saw this from an unreliable source, they stated those 3.0 with failing packs would get priority, along with people on their list.

Certainly no attempt to contact Mike Curtis-Rouse or me about that and we were shouting about it pretty loudly.