Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
giphy.gif

because they're idiots? šŸ˜”

Might save some time to ship a bearing assembly (or 4) to Jack ASAP for him to get specs from and build yours; that way Carl could do a quicker turnaround.

The SKF VKBA 3651 (Opel/Vauxhall/Roadster bearing assembly with ABS sensor) is pretty easy to find and not terribly expensive; $100-150 shipped. Sell the replaced new metal bearings and the old bearing assemblies to Carl for a third of what you paid and youā€™re on the road a whole lot sooner for <$400; plus you save the shipping from Carl to Jack.

Iā€™m by no means an expert on this, but you may want to send Jack fresh bearing assemblies anyway, if Jack is planning on reusing your old races. (For that matter, if he isnā€™t reusing them, and is fabricating his own, I think heā€™d have to magnetize them to get the ABS working properly? Not 100% sure on that.)
I'm a very new owner Aug 21. Car came with one key. I asked Tesla for keys. Tesla sold me two fobs told me find the key stems, bring back complete key with fob, and they would program the new fobs to my car. Nothing but up hill climb getting parts. Hard top screw fell behind passenger seat. Tesla no help. Luckily not an idiot, when to hardware store bought three new screws (metric)

Luckily the day I got my key stems from Pete Gruber is the day his shop burned. I referenced the Roadster parts catalogue for the bearings and provided the number to Jack. Jack asked for the old barring assemble to make sure he had the correct part for the Roadster. He's done several Tesla S and 3 for owners just not a Roadster.

I assume these SKF VKBA 3651 I get from a Lotus dealer? The closest dealer is three states away 193 miles away from me. Unless you think Track Auto or someone has the bearings? I'll ask around tomorrow. Totally agree with you on the time and money. Thank you!

Last edited:
I like to see this topic back on 3.0 discussions.
As this being said.....apparently some 3.0 packs has been delivered but nobody posts any information about specs, experience in performance and so on.
What is happening out there. I am 3.5 years on the waiting list. Is the new battery performing well?
Post-3.0 quick review: I've had mine for a couple months now. So far my luck is better than @smorgasbord. No need to return to the service center for any follow-up issues. It feels like it might have slightly more power but I haven't timed it or tested it on a track to quantify this. I'm enjoying the extra range a lot more than I thought I would! I used to watch my speed to keep my range high. Now I just go as fast as I want while still being safe. I have fewer range-mode charges because my longer trips can now be done on a std mode charge. That's been a nice surprise because I didn't think I'd care much about the added range.

The crate that my pack was shipped in was labeled with a CAC of 215. When I picked up the car it was only 208 and has since bounced around to 207 and back. Many people in this thread have reported a new CAC of 212 or more. I'm not complaining. I'm more concerned about how fast it loses range and it's much too early to draw any conclusions.

I'll be taking it off the road for the winter as soon as it snows which could be any day. Let me know if you have any other specific data that you'd like me to report.

Post-3.0 quick review: I've had mine for a couple months now. So far my luck is better than @smorgasbord. No need to return to the service center for any follow-up issues. It feels like it might have slightly more power but I haven't timed it or tested it on a track to quantify this. I'm enjoying the extra range a lot more than I thought I would! I used to watch my speed to keep my range high. Now I just go as fast as I want while still being safe. I have fewer range-mode charges because my longer trips can now be done on a std mode charge. That's been a nice surprise because I didn't think I'd care much about the added range.

The crate that my pack was shipped in was labeled with a CAC of 215. When I picked up the car it was only 208 and has since bounced around to 207 and back. Many people in this thread have reported a new CAC of 212 or more. I'm not complaining. I'm more concerned about how fast it loses range and it's much too early to draw any conclusions.

I'll be taking it off the road for the winter as soon as it snows which could be any day. Let me know if you have any other specific data that you'd like me to report.
Out of curiosity, what was the CAC of the pack that the 3.0 replaced?

I assume these SKF VKBA 3651 I get from a Lotus dealer?
You can get them most anywhere - on eBay and at auto parts stores, for example - since they were used by Opel, Vauxhallā€¦ heck, even GM.

HOWEVER!

A bit of caution is warranted in doing so, as there are (according to SKF) quite a few counterfeits of their bearings in circulation.

LotusPartsOnline has the bearings, though; and you can reasonably expect theirs to be sourced straight from SKF. Youā€™ll find them under part number A117D6005F; keep in mind that their price is quite a bit higher than what other outlets are charging.

Call Carl before buying, though! I spoke with him today, and he may have some spare original SKF hub unit assemblies in stock - as well as another brand that seems to work just as well.

(Fun part of this is - and I promise, back to 3.0 battery replacement after this - something in the rear of my car started faintly squeaking on todayā€™s drive. Since a good smattering of various Roadster wizards were at hand, I asked Kelvin Medlock to drive it so we could see if it was just my imagination - and, well, you guessed it: wheel bearings. All this to say: let me know if youā€™re up for doing a group buy from Jack!)

• Informative
Reactions: Gremlin
You can get them most anywhere - on eBay and at auto parts stores, for example - since they were used by Opel, Vauxhallā€¦ heck, even GM.

HOWEVER!

A bit of caution is warranted in doing so, as there are (according to SKF) quite a few counterfeits of their bearings in circulation.

LotusPartsOnline has the bearings, though; and you can reasonably expect theirs to be sourced straight from SKF. Youā€™ll find them under part number A117D6005F; keep in mind that their price is quite a bit higher than what other outlets are charging.
The Lotus bearings are 4 lug. You need the 5 lug Opel units.

HOWEVER!

Call Carl before buying, though! I spoke with him today, and he may have some spare original SKF hub unit assemblies in stock - as well as another brand that seems to work just as well.

(Fun part of this is - and I promise, back to 3.0 battery replacement after this - something in the rear of my car started faintly squeaking on todayā€™s drive. Since a good smattering of various Roadster wizards were at hand, I asked Kelvin Medlock to drive it so we could see if it was just my imagination - and, well, you guessed it: wheel bearings. All this to say: let me know if youā€™re up for doing a group buy from Jack!)

So bummed I couldn't make the drive!

Bit of a swap - 1038 to Seattle, Medlocks to SF Bay Area . . .

To bring this back to the 3.0 upgrade:
ā€¢ My car is still in service hell diagnosing the overheating problem, despite the technician being able to pull logs from two of the overheating events.
ā€¢ Tesla did agree to sell me back my old battery and PEM for a "core charge." I promptly turned them over to Carl Medlock at my cost to help other Roadster owners since both were in very good shape before the upgrade.

To bring this back to the 3.0 upgrade:
ā€¢ My car is still in service hell diagnosing the overheating problem, despite the technician being able to pull logs from two of the overheating events.
ā€¢ Tesla did agree to sell me back my old battery and PEM for a "core charge." I promptly turned them over to Carl Medlock at my cost to help other Roadster owners since both were in very good shape before the upgrade.
You should swap the new board out of your new PEM into the old PEM.

Reactions: Gremlin

HOWEVER!

Hell yeah

I like to see this topic back on 3.0 discussions.
As this being said.....apparently some 3.0 packs has been delivered but nobody posts any information about specs, experience in performance and so on.
What is happening out there. I am 3.5 years on the waiting list. Is the new battery performing well?
I reached out to Tesla this afternoon inquiring about placing my name on list of interested 3.0 buyers. I was told there is no list and they are not taking any more reservations/inquiries. When I pressed, I was told that Tesla might restart the program but for now they aren't offering the pack to anyone new. Is this news or am I just late to find this out?

I reached out to Tesla this afternoon inquiring about placing my name on list of interested 3.0 buyers. I was told there is no list and they are not taking any more reservations/inquiries. When I pressed, I was told that Tesla might restart the program but for now they aren't offering the pack to anyone new. Is this news or am I just late to find this out?
Tesla is a big organisation now - so need to know 'who' at Tesla said this ? and better still, who at Tesla is actually part of the 3.0 battery program.

Tesla is a big organisation now - so need to know 'who' at Tesla said this ? and better still, who at Tesla is actually part of the 3.0 battery program.
On my call with local service center, I pursued trying to get to someone within Tesla who is "more in the know." I received a call back from corporate and received the same response as I did with the service center....thus, I didn't get anywhere. perhaps those on this thread have a better source of contact? (result of my call is 1)Tesla does not have a 3.0 waiting list that I could be added to and 2)the 3.0 program is not looking to do any more 3.0's than are currently committed. that's all I got....