Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting . . . the lack of a new 3.0 battery upgrade program is consistent with the messaging from Carl Medlock and contradictory with the messaging from Pete Gruber.
It is no longer an accessory/upgrade program. I was also told by my SC that 3.0 packs are only going to those that have been waiting 12-18 months with dead vehicles, and to those with existing warranties. It’s increasingly obvious that Gruber’s “census” is purely a data collection effort for personal gain disguised as a “list periodically shared with Tesla”, as there is not a 3.0 waiting list.

thanks for clarifying. It's too bad as I had hoped there would be more support from Tesla on the 3.0 program moving forward. It all remains a big unknown if Tesla will reboot the 3.0. This was news to me as I had somehow got the feeling that Tesla was moving the 3.0 program forward for all owners.

That will make the "new" 3.0 upgrade a rare item.. And it should boost the prices of these cars even more.. That's the only positive thing I see here. It must be clear now: Tesla is not doing this for us, but for themselves. Mine is in the SC for 8 weeks now (instead of 3), for the upgrade. No communication whatsoever, heck they don't even have a phone number anymore. Same story every time I bring it in: unsure in what year I will receive it back.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
That will make the "new" 3.0 upgrade a rare item.. And it should boost the prices of these cars even more.. That's the only positive thing I see here. It must be clear now: Tesla is not doing this for us, but for themselves. Mine is in the SC for 8 weeks now (instead of 3), for the upgrade. No communication whatsoever, heck they don't even have a phone number anymore. Same story every time I bring it in: unsure in what year I will receive it back.
I think it’s important to note that while they are not taking voluntary reservations as an accessory upgrade, they are committed to offering the 3.0 pack as a solution for vehicles with dead packs indefinitely. They just seem to be working through the backlog first and foremost, though it also seems random based on availability. Two weeks ago, a fellow owner in California had sheet failure, and he’s already scheduled for a replacement 3.0 in the near future. To me, this gives HUGE confidence that I can continue daily driving my aging 13 year-old 1.5 pack and have a guaranteed replacement that increases my 195 Mi range to 330+ Mi.

I got an email response from Tesla The Hague that my urgent situation with CAC 77 is noted and after ordering in 2018 they told me they will deliver at best in Q3 2022.
However someone in NL was quoted a replacement pack 3.0 just 4 months ago by Tesla. Funny, since I ordered 4 years ago for 35.000 euro and he got a quote for 30.000 euro. He ordered one and got no confirmation when Tesla is going to deliver.
I sent an email to Tesla the Hague every month reminding them about my order and if there is more news.
Knowing Tesla if they say at best in Q3 2022 I expect no delivery in 2022 anymore.

By the way.....in my case with full battery, max output is now 100kW and when battery is at 50% output is limited to 25 kW. Trucks accelerate quicker than me 😞

I think it’s important to note that while they are not taking voluntary reservations as an accessory upgrade, they are committed to offering the 3.0 pack as a solution for vehicles with dead packs indefinitely. They just seem to be working through the backlog first and foremost, though it also seems random based on availability. Two weeks ago, a fellow owner in California had sheet failure, and he’s already scheduled for a replacement 3.0 in the near future. To me, this gives HUGE confidence that I can continue daily driving my aging 13 year-old 1.5 pack and have a guaranteed replacement that increases my 195 Mi range to 330+ Mi.
hmmm. somehow my communication with Tesla corporate doesn't leave me with the same level of confidence. when I specifically asked if I would be able to place an order for a 3.0 pack if my roadster would have a dead pack, I was told they are NOT taking new orders. maybe I'm not asking the "right" question or speaking to the "right" person.

hmmm. somehow my communication with Tesla corporate doesn't leave me with the same level of confidence. when I specifically asked if I would be able to place an order for a 3.0 pack if my roadster would have a dead pack, I was told they are NOT taking new orders. maybe I'm not asking the "right" question or speaking to the "right" person.
Both stories could be correct. You don't have a dead battery right now.

I think we all hope that as they start to see the light at the end of the tunnel for the currently bricked cars battery replacements, they understand the need to continue making an effort at replacing bricked batteries to keep cars running. Even if they have to raise the price on the pack.

Perhaps they are waiting to clear the $30K pack requirements, then will raise the price to $40K as the value of cars continues to increase making a $40K investment worthwhile for a $150K roadster.

My pack is good right now, but would love to have the extended range to allow longer trips...or I just need to keep the speed under 60 mph and stop stomping on the accelerator... :)

I don't (currently) need the longer range, but with a CAC of 136.5 (standard charge range of 159 miles), and a pretty steady drop of about 2 miles of range per year, it won't last forever. I've only owned the car for 7 years, and have no intention to sell it.

I decided to hold off when the 3.0 was first announced, over lack of need, and decided I was right in doing so when the severe CAC drop of the "first" 3.0 battery pack became evident. Hopefully the "new" one (is it really?) will perform better, and double hopefully one will be available when my car does eventually need it. If there is a place to put in a "vote" for keeping these cars on the road, please let us know. These cars are Tesla's heritage, something that I would hope the company considers worth preserving.

I don't (currently) need the longer range, but with a CAC of 136.5 (standard charge range of 159 miles), and a pretty steady drop of about 2 miles of range per year, it won't last forever. I've only owned the car for 7 years, and have no intention to sell it.

I decided to hold off when the 3.0 was first announced, over lack of need, and decided I was right in doing so when the severe CAC drop of the "first" 3.0 battery pack became evident. Hopefully the "new" one (is it really?) will perform better, and double hopefully one will be available when my car does eventually need it. If there is a place to put in a "vote" for keeping these cars on the road, please let us know. These cars are Tesla's heritage, something that I would hope the company considers worth preserving.

I was in the same situation and had the same thoughts, but my decision was to reserve the 3.0 battery pack and then defer when my turn came up. That meant I skipped the initial faster-deteriorating packs and just recently got my upgraded pack even though my battery was still pretty decent (13x CAC). I had an issue with the pack itself (connectors not plugged in correctly), which got fixed quickly, and then an overheating issue with the new PEM (see upthread), which finally got resolved after some complaining. But, happy to have the larger pack and longer trip possibilities.

Not planning on selling unless I can no longer get into or out of the vehicle without assistance and/or pain. My son will probably keep the Roadster for himself when I pass on.

Both stories could be correct. You don't have a dead battery right now.

I think we all hope that as they start to see the light at the end of the tunnel for the currently bricked cars battery replacements, they understand the need to continue making an effort at replacing bricked batteries to keep cars running. Even if they have to raise the price on the pack.

Perhaps they are waiting to clear the $30K pack requirements, then will raise the price to $40K as the value of cars continues to increase making a $40K investment worthwhile for a $150K roadster.

My pack is good right now, but would love to have the extended range to allow longer trips...or I just need to keep the speed under 60 mph and stop stomping on the accelerator... :)
Freaking right rear tire on 996 blew like 3/10 mile away from house. I had car towed to Tyco SC Friday cause tired of looking at a flat tire in my garage. Tesla called today to confirm want I wanted done since they saw the car there. I asked to have them install 2 Continental Extreme CS tires and the TPMS I bought.

So since I had them on the phone, I asked what is the policy on the 3.0 battery since GMC had fire destroyed some 25 roadster, maybe I could take place of one of the reservation holders. Hey, closed mouths don't get feed my mantra. Tyco SC rep stated they are taking orders. It's a pain to do it source parts etc, and it takes a year for parts to come in. On the other part, they are aware of the fire at AZ yada yada yada (not repeating that conversation). The rep stated if it's not broke don't fix it. Sort of what Henry was saying. Come next July the battery is 12 years old, why tempt fate? Besides I want longer range since no there is supercharging for these cars. I'm saving up for a battery replacement now.

The problem with "if it's not broke, don't fix it" is that when it does break, Tesla may not want, or be able, to perform the upgrade. Originally, my plan was to continually defer the actual upgrade (after putting down the $5k deposit) as long as my battery gave me decent range, but when the first batch was discontinued and the second batch was only for prior reservers, I decided to do the upgrade now and enjoy the longer range while I can still physically drive the Roadster that far. I'm getting too old for delayed gratification.

FYI, I recently had the 3.0 upgrade completed on two roadsters. Long story short, I understand that going forward they require your battery core to be shipped away for the 3.0 rebuild and that there is a long lineup for this.
They're reusing the battery cores, since there are no extras.

That said, if you're doing this and you have a functioning battery, please contact Carl Medlock. He'll buy your battery from you and swap it for a bricked one that you can send to Tesla. That way, a still good original battery doesn't get destroyed. We have to keep as many spare parts as possible as long as we can.

I'm going to do an update on the 3.0 battery longevity study. I'm particularly interested in data from someone who's had a "new" 3.0 battery for at least a few months. I got some logs from ones right after they were installed, but that's not enough time to make a comparison with the original 3.0's.

I'm also happy to add data from anyone with an old 3.0, too.

Reactions: GSP and dhrivnak
I just had my roadster sport picked up today from the Tesla SC after getting the 3.0 battery upgrade. Finally! It went in Nov 1 so took a little over 3 months and periodic pushing/prodding by me. I was also told by my service advisor that they are reusing the battery cores (sending them somewhere for the rebuild), flashing/tweaking the PEM, and that there is a fairly long list of roadsters getting the upgrade. The latter being the primary reason it took over 3 months. I was also told, along the way, priority was given to those who had BRAs (battery replacement agreement) pre purchased but sounded like there were also a fair amount of owners who recently paid to have the upgrade.

Anyways hopefully the additional range and supposed slight power increase was worth the wait. Happy to share thoughts in a few months.

4AE6AAE8-2EC2-4EA7-A46F-733B6CA263AD.jpeg

I just had my roadster sport picked up today from the Tesla SC after getting the 3.0 battery upgrade. Finally! It went in Nov 1 so took a little over 3 months and periodic pushing/prodding by me. I was also told by my service advisor that they are reusing the battery cores (sending them somewhere for the rebuild), flashing/tweaking the PEM, and that there is a fairly long list of roadsters getting the upgrade. The latter being the primary reason it took over 3 months. I was also told, along the way, priority was given to those who had BRAs (battery replacement agreement) pre purchased but sounded like there were also a fair amount of owners who recently paid to have the upgrade.

Anyways hopefully the additional range and supposed slight power increase was worth the wait. Happy to share thoughts in a few months.

View attachment 766403
Was yours bricked or just reduced CAC?