Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One potential side benefit of 70 kwh pack - faster charging to ~190 miles since charge rate tapering wouldn't kick in until later with higher "ceiling" on the pack, esp at high amp charging.
(See tomsax's blog:http://www.saxton.org/tom_saxton/)

Assumes all other things are equal, and that new std mode charge would land at about 250 ideal miles (190/53*70). Could be different based on needs/features of the cell chemistry used & other design decisions.

Similarly, those owners who require range mode charging to hit certain destinations (and worried about pack longevity) will likely be able to do it with standard mode charges in a 70 kwh pack, and less anxiety.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it will be after the reveal in the next few weeks when they do the S.F. to L.A. run, assuming details are given at that time (by details I mean what cells are being used, what warranty will attach, photos of the aero changes and so on). Certainly before anyone makes an appointment to get the upgrade, so by this spring.

I agree - would hope to have more detailed description / specs on the 3.0 upgrades will at least be released at the time of successful SF-LA demo. Good opportunity for a blog post. Groundhog Day maybe? Wouldn't surprise me if pricing, warranty, and ability to place an order come a month or two later. (And then first actual appoint a month or two after that...)

I'm curious if local SC will have the capability to do this work. I hope my car doesn't have to be shipped to CA.
Any service center than can swap a Roadster battery pack should be able to do the work. Swapping packs isn't a big deal, it's not as technical as swapping sheets within a pack. Doing a firmware update is also easy, unless it needs to go deeper than usual. (Can the PEM firmware be updated without opening the PEM?)

I figure the worst case would be needing to send techs around to the various service centers that don't have the staff or equipment needed for a battery swap.

Not sure, but doesn't the battery pack get disconnected and lowered a bit out of the car when undergoing its regular service, for them to be able to vacuum clean the PEM fan? Then probably any Roadster-capable service center can do the swap too.

No. It's two days labour to remove and reinstall a Roadster battery pack.

They simply remove the PEM for service. They have to unhook a bunch of wires and unbolt it, then it comes right off.

Not sure, but doesn't the battery pack get disconnected and lowered a bit out of the car when undergoing its regular service, for them to be able to vacuum clean the PEM fan? Then probably any Roadster-capable service center can do the swap too.

You can see a PEM cleaning here. The PEM and fans are already out, but at ~0:40 the pack is visible in its normal place / height:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CllCBoTH8EE

In Hong Kong, we seem to be experiencing a resurgence of interest in used roadsters since the 3.0 announcement.

I suspect it is a window of opportunity. Between the pre-announcement (when hopes are high), and the realities of what will actually be announced/delivered sometime in the coming months.

Wish I was in the mood to take advantage of it, but I just love my roadster too much to part with it at this point in time.

That's weird. Before I got my roadster, I asked my cousin there if he ever had to charge his in the wild. It was an emphatic no. So I'm surprised to hear hk guys would care about extended range.

In Hong Kong, we seem to be experiencing a resurgence of interest in used roadsters since the 3.0 announcement.

I suspect it is a window of opportunity. Between the pre-announcement (when hopes are high), and the realities of what will actually be announced/delivered sometime in the coming months.

Wish I was in the mood to take advantage of it, but I just love my roadster too much to part with it at this point in time.

If it is so that there is a resurgence of interest in Hong Kong:

1. great for me, as I did a deal on my Roadster here back in June (not that I am selling);

2. it'll be the support and concern over battery life, not the extended range, that will be the driver here. You are right that range isn't really a concern for us in Hong Kong ...

Volta.

That's weird. Before I got my roadster, I asked my cousin there if he ever had to charge his in the wild. It was an emphatic no. So I'm surprised to hear hk guys would care about extended range.

Here's an e-mail from Tesla that I just received:
Combining all of these improvements we can achieve a predicted 40-50% improvement on range between the original Roadster and Roadster 3.0. There is a set of speeds and driving conditions where we can confidently drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles. We will be demonstrating this in the real world during a non-stop drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the early weeks of 2015.

Are we still in "the early weeks" of 2015? I was assuming they meant some time in January...

Are we still in "the early weeks" of 2015? I was assuming they meant some time in January...

The way they worded it (and my personal expectation) I too was under the impression this was going to be demonstrated in January. They really should have said "early months" not "early weeks" to be clear and not set false expectations (like myself) on an earlier date.

In terms of what an "earlier month" would be, to me 5 months or less. In terms of "earlier weeks", I personally relate it to 6 and 8 weeks. But in all reality it could mean anything that's under 26 weeks (52 weeks in the year).

Last edited:
Tesla is making cars having a very high technical content, much more than other ICE automakers.

So no complaints if there are issues with punctuality please.

Everyone knows I am a huge fan of Tesla. But no one has ever forced a date out of them. They know their technical challenges and they are the ones that announce when something will be launched|available|delivered. They own their own calendar.

I'm not going to give them a pass on punctuality. It's totally within their control. And if they hit a problem (technical, suppliers, whatever), communication is totally within their control also.