Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing the experience Sam! Hoping to make a round trip to Vegas and back next week utilizing Model S adapter and a couple plugshare chargers, 70A charging and a 400 miles battery are definitely going to open the map a bit more to us!

Thanks for sharing the experience Sam! Hoping to make a round trip to Vegas and back next week utilizing Model S adapter and a couple plugshare chargers, 70A charging and a 400 miles battery are definitely going to open the map a bit more to us!

Anytime, glad to share the experience. Road trips in the Roadster are not for everyone. But with a little planning they can be a lot of fun. Go Electric!!

Tesla also says that a 60kWh Model S battery replacement is $20k, and an 85kWh is $25k. So based on that, you would also think the Roadster battery would be in that range.

But it's not clear if the Model S battery prices include a used battery trade-in or not. The home storage system prices would seem to indicate not; but then they may be a different chemistry that is lower-priced to start with.

The Roadster will reuse the casing, but will require more human (as opposed to robot) labor to re-install the new cells.

So, in summary...I still have no idea. We need to wait for Tesla to tell us the pricing. Sigh.

I think the full upgrade will come in around $15k, maybe $20k on the high end dependent on how significant the aero changes are.

Not sure I should post this, but one of the folks at the local SC was thinking $30k to $40k, given all the pieces that are being upgraded. That puts it out of reach for me. I usually keep my cars for 15-20 years, and was hoping for a reset on the battery age meter with the upgrade. {sigh} Will have to nurse this one for all it's worth.

Not sure I should post this, but one of the folks at the local SC was thinking $30k to $40k, given all the pieces that are being upgraded. That puts it out of reach for me. I usually keep my cars for 15-20 years, and was hoping for a reset on the battery age meter with the upgrade. {sigh} Will have to nurse this one for all it's worth.

Maybe before factoring in a credit for the battery being traded in.

Since the P85D came out with longer range and better performance than the Roadster, this upgrade will need to be priced lower than the cost to sell and upgrade to that car. I mean, if I could sell the Roadster and add $30k to buy a P85D, why would I spend that much to upgrade a seven year old car? My expectation is $12k for the battery and $3k for the wheel hubs. I'll need to see the aero updates before I could price/values those.

bit late to catch up with the thread..
Bonnie, I take my hat off to you for moving this topic forward so brilliantly!
And to Tesla/Elon as well ofc, for keeping the 3.0 upgrade moving forward whilst being busy with all the other good stuff :)

As to the price speculation, I guess a fair portion of the price will also depend on the amount of manual labour to install/replace all the promised goodies. Not only manufacturing the replacement battery will take its time, but also changing/installing the battery and new aero parts might take its time, depending on location in the car and how (easy or not) it can be installed. Changing the bearings seems like a fairly cheap routine job as far as I can tell.

As to the price speculation, I guess a fair portion of the price will also depend on the amount of manual labour to install/replace all the promised goodies. Not only manufacturing the replacement battery will take its time, but also changing/installing the battery and new aero parts might take its time, depending on location in the car and how (easy or not) it can be installed. Changing the bearings seems like a fairly cheap routine job as far as I can tell.

The big unknown here, and perhaps my reason for hope, is what Tesla will be getting in return from us using the upgrade. Presumably (hopefully) there is some new technology that the Roadster community can assist in proving or improving by deploying it in the Roadsters before, for example, it heads for the Model 3 (or maybe a Roadster NG?). I work in an R&D environment, and we often make use of live customer environments (with their permission and participation, of course) to prove and improve new technologies as we build them into our next products. This has always been very valuable to us - something the business funds - and I would expect that Tesla R&D could gain enough that they could offer the 3.0 package below cost and still come out ahead. That is, after all, the Roadster's legacy.

Not holding my breath

Or it could be that Tesla is applying lessons learned to the upgrade for Roadster. The battery pack does not appear to be cutting edge for example.

I had asked Elon about the upgrade more than a year ago. He said something exciting was coming for the faithful Roadster owners, the original guinea pigs Tesla used to launch the company. Since then there has been only an announcement aimed at bolstering the stock price, and a report of a single test drive. Nothing more. No news, no pricing, no specifications or specifics.

So don't hold your breath... Tesla has moved on and forgotten us, the original fans.

They are a bit tied up with Model X, and Model C (for cheap) to worry about us right now.:redface:

I had asked Elon about the upgrade more than a year ago. He said something exciting was coming for the faithful Roadster owners, the original guinea pigs Tesla used to launch the company. Since then there has been only an announcement aimed at bolstering the stock price, and a report of a single test drive. Nothing more. No news, no pricing, no specifications or specifics.

So don't hold your breath... Tesla has moved on and forgotten us, the original fans.

They are a bit tied up with Model X, and Model C (for cheap) to worry about us right now.:redface:

If that were true, I doubt Elon would have recently stated that validation testing was wrapping up in July and he expected to have the upgrade available in August. (Which I interpret to mean by EOY :). )

If they had moved on, he would not have chosen to answer the question regarding upgrade status. He could have ignored it. He didn't.

I had asked Elon about the upgrade more than a year ago. He said something exciting was coming for the faithful Roadster owners, the original guinea pigs Tesla used to launch the company.

Also known as "customers" who willingly bought the product and got what they paid for...

Yes, like most companies, they are continuing to focus on new products. Unlike most companies, they are also willing to provide upgrades for discontinued products.

Yes, like most companies, they are continuing to focus on new products. Unlike most companies, they are also willing to provide upgrades for discontinued products.
When Tesla was soliciting orders for Roadsters in the early days, they told us that we'd be able to buy replacement batteries in the future (and even sold replacement packs in advance), and told us that the battery packs would get better in the future.

When Tesla was soliciting orders for Roadsters in the early days, they told us that we'd be able to buy replacement batteries in the future (and even sold replacement packs in advance), and told us that the battery packs would get better in the future.

And how Tesla develops and prices this upgrade will be closely watched by Model S owners, too, because no one wants a car that can't have a key component replaced--especially where that component is, by its nature, a wear item.

A cynic might wonder if the reason Tesla is doing the whole "3.0 upgrade" (rather than just a new battery) is to position this as a sui generis upgrade that won't create direct expectations for the Model S, either in terms of performance or price.