Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 4.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much do you guys think the next-gen roadster will cost? I am thinking about an S to replace my ELR but I have been happy with my X but I still want a different driving experience since the S & X are pretty much the same. I am getting a 3 though

I expect them to re-use the Model 3 skateboard/battery box with upgraded suspension/geometry, new motors, etc. Elon has said it will be a convertible. As for pricing, I expect it to be around 911 Turbo S pricing or right around $200k (or whatever they're charging for that car in 3-5 years).

Roadster will be low volume, so they probably can't afford to spend a huge amount developing a custom platform for it, although they might use it to develop some new technologies that might later migrate to other platforms.

M3 skateboard is probably likely, esp. given that they're going to be using it for MY as well (unless they want to use Roadster to develop a new platform to later migrate to other lines). But they'll need to use small format cells with a chemistry optimized for power. If they give it a lower frontal area than the M3 and the Cd doesn't come in much worse it should be able to get a proper amount of range on an M3-sized pack, even if they have to sacrifice a bit of energy density to give it the desired power density. People generally expect a lower frontal area on a Roadster, even though it means some compromises on internal space.

Depends entirely on what the next Roadster actually is. Some folks think it will be a convertible/performance version of the 3. I think it will be entirely new technology on the cutting edge. I'd expect it to be in the $175k - $200k range.

Probably the max I would spend is $120k unless it has something very special or the luxury of a high end S-class

I wouldn't expect S-class luxury. I figure it will either be an ///M3 style performance convevertable coupe in the $80k-$120k range, or it will be full-blown new technology; Lamborghini styling with four wheel motors at $175k-$200k.

Why do you expect such a poor performance-to-price point? It's easier to make a Roadster than something like the M3 - it's lighter so you get more acceleration performance inherently, and if done right you have a lower CdA, so don't need as much in terms of batteries.

I think I'd be scared to drive a car that does zero to 60 mph in 2 seconds. A few years ago I figured I'd drive my Roadster until the Roadster Mk II came along, and then trade up. Now I'm more likely to trade up on safety rather than acceleration, and go to the Model 3 when my turn comes.

I'm gonna laugh when an EV beats a top fuel dragster to 60 mph. (0.8 seconds, according to a quick Google search. But it can only do it once or twice before the engine is toast. And the clutch is toasted on every run. According to what little I've read.)

Reactions: DeedWest
Somewhere between $50,000 and $150,000. If they ever build another one. 5-10 years from now. Don't worry about it right now :)

I believe Elon has said they will. Roadster is a platform for Tesla to show what an EV can do.

Roadster will be low volume, so they probably can't afford to spend a huge amount developing a custom platform for it, although they might use it to develop some new technologies that might later migrate to other platforms.

Strictly from a profit point of view you may be right. However, for bragging rights and publicity, having the quickest street-legal car is a real coup. The P100D Model S is already up in that class. The Roadster Mk II could make Tesla the undisputed king of acceleration, and that, as the commercials say, would be priceless.

I was going to post a poll on this.

Using the TM3 skateboard would be lame. The Lotus brand which the original was based off had so much sporting pedigree. Also, the 80kWh or so would not generate all that much power. No signs so far that these cells are OK to be pushed to 6-7C. The Short Range TM3 after all doesn't quite get to get the most from the 200kW motor. 3C or so?
I would like to think that the new Roadster would only happen when Tesla has gotten on top of their chemistry development. A cell that is both dense in energy to get good range from a light pack (Model 3's so far seem to be underwhelming), as well as able to be charged and discharged at higher rates. Like, say the Volt and Ioniq batteries.

Tesla cells so far simply are not quick. The SP100D is quick because the pack is huge and the traction control sublime. It's still just 5.5C and supercharges at 1.17C. I would totally encourage a really lightweight version of the 100 pack, from 2170's with extra light (costly) packaging to save a few hundred kilograms off the S/X100 pack. Just, I don't think it's likely. A roadster doesn't need 400 mile of range (I'd love it), but it does need an improved power to weight over SP100D. Take off much more weight than power. A 60kWh Roadster would suffice for range, but not for <2s 0-60mph. Not with these slower cells at least. Or are they vastly understressed in TM3? 60kWh of Volt type batteries would do the trick in terms of power, not in terms of density.

Since 50 referrals gets you a Roadster for free, I suspect it's going to be a larger series <$120K car. Perhaps even <$80K. Few thrills, 15" or smaller screen in portrait. Some updated batteries seem necessary (hope not).

Since 50 referrals gets you a Roadster for free, I suspect it's going to be a larger series <$120K car. Perhaps even <$80K. Few thrills, 15" or smaller screen in portrait. Some updated batteries seem necessary (hope not).
I am hoping that the next Roadster will have a base price of less than $60K and that will include RWD only, 250 miles EPA, 0-60 of under 4.5 secs, 2 seats, fabulous handling, and a removable top. And a usable trunk.

Then for another about $40K you will get Dual Motor, 350 miles EPA, 0-60 under 2.2 secs, even better handling, powered retractable folding hardtop, and some sort of powered doors like the Lamborghini scissor doors. So a Tesla Roadster version that would compare favorably to sports cars costing much much more.

Reactions: Alfred
I am hoping that the next Roadster will have a base price of less than $60K and that will include RWD only, 250 miles EPA, 0-60 of under 4.5 secs, 2 seats, fabulous handling, and a removable top. And a usable trunk.

Then for another about $40K you will get Dual Motor, 350 miles EPA, 0-60 under 2.2 secs, even better handling, powered retractable folding hardtop, and some sort of powered doors like the Lamborghini scissor doors. So a Tesla Roadster version that would compare favorably to sports cars costing much much more.

4.5 seconds to 60 mph would be slower by half a second than the current non-sport Roadster. That ain't gonna happen. Under $60K probably won't happen either. They'll have to be under 2 seconds to out-perform the P100D Model S.

As for powered doors, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! That's such a lame, useless concept. A powered convertible top would be nice EXCEPT that I really like the aftermarket mesh top on mine. I can choose between solid cloth top or mesh top, and that's more than worth the bother of managing the top by hand.