Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 501 Traded In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadster 501 was traded in last night (12/19/2019) for a 2020 Model 3 Performance.

I’ve been considering selling for a couple years but could never actually bring myself to post a for sale ad (although I had a few discussions with several folks via private messages), so when the Roadster service email and trade in offer email came out, I asked for a quote out of curiosity. For reference to the community, they offered $50,300 for my 2010 base Roadster with original battery and 18,659 miles. M3P with FSD was about $65,000 (+TTL) and with the additional tax savings from the trade in, I pulled the trigger. (I actually wanted to get a MS Long Range P Raven, but my wife wisely did not approve of the extra expense and we don’t need 3 Model S’s).

I want to thank this Roadster community for being an amazing group. The camaraderie, civility, enthusiasm, and amazing knowledge and expertise shared among owners has made this forum one of my favorite places on the Internet. I lack the technical knowledge and mechanical skill many here have, but I’ve learned so much from you. It feels like Tesla forgot about the Roadster for a while, but I also think all of you here have kept the Roadster alive and cherished. Although I’ve only met a handful of you in person, it seems many of you here are friends.

To expand on my personal reasons for selling, it came down to location and support. While I’m lucky to be near Gruber (I’m going to keep plugging them. They are just fantastic, passionate, hard working, professional, and incredibly smart and talented), my battery was not holding up well in the Phoenix summer heat. My CAC (136-ish IIRC and about 160 miles on a Standard Charge) seemed to be dropping quickly despite low mileage. CAC was 140-141 a year ago and I think 145-ish two years ago. The Roadster belongs in a cooler climate. I would honestly stress at night in the summers here checking OVMS for battery temps and trying to run cooling cycles before going to bed. Driving the car in July in Phoenix is also not fun. The AC goes warm to cool the battery and then you still get a lot of reduced power scenarios because everything is just too hot and I find that mode dangerous because acceleration is so slow.

I had then decided to move the Roadster to a vacation home my wife and I bought in Kona earlier this year, but the SC damaged my PEM at annual service and I lost faith in Tesla’s ability to service it - especially in a remote location of the Big Island of Hawaii. I considered flying Javier, Carl, or one of Pete Gruber’s crew to service the Roadster if it got to Kona, but logistics (how would they get their tools there) and extra cost of paying for the flights just made that impractical. I was not going to trust a mobile Tesla tech from Oahu to work on the car either. Hence, my difficult decision to sell what at one point I thought was going to be my forever car to be passed down to a lucky relative.

Whatever happens to 501, I hope Tesla appreciates it for its history as the first 2.0.

Side note - I met a former Tesla tech a couple weeks ago and 501 was apparently famous at the local SC’s here in AZ. They called it “Franken-Roadster” because, despite being the first 2.0, many components were 1.5. In all honesty, I had a lot of things that needed repair on this car, but most was covered under CPO warranty, and I was proud to care for and maintain the car. Heck, it has a newly refurbished Gruber PEM I hope someone can now enjoy.

It has been great to have been part of this special community. Thank you all. I’ll continue to contribute and support Roadster owners in any way I can.

501 will be missed.

BE47651E-EFD6-478D-B2C5-C0DAA0AF8A07.jpeg

Congrats @shrink! BTW, did Tesla mention what their plans are for any Roadster trade ins they receive? I can't imagine these cars getting flipped back into the auction market but I do see the twisted possibility of cannibalizing some of them to stockpile parts and components.

Congrats @shrink! BTW, did Tesla mention what their plans are for any Roadster trade ins they receive? I can't imagine these cars getting flipped back into the auction market but I do see the twisted possibility of cannibalizing some of them to stockpile parts and components.
I hate to say it, but I think you're right. It makes good corporate policy to be seen as being responsive to servicing surviving Roadsters as Tesla has recently, and every car they buy back is one less they have to provide service for, plus it creates more spare parts for them to keep the others going without manufacturing anything. Sadly, I think we've seen the last of #501.

WOW, I am new to the community of Roadsters, but I hope our new 673 does okay here in the Tucson heat. A couple of years ago I installed a split A/C system in the garage. I tried a swamp cooler but that didn't work out all it did was pump humidity into the air and really wasn't that effective with our high humidity in the summer. It so nice to go out into the garage now in the summer and work on cars and not sweat. I hope our 673 enjoys the A/C as much as I do.
Anyway sorry to see you go, but enjoy the M3, we have enjoyed ours for the past year. It is not the performance, but does have dual motors and really is a hot rod. I sold 3 porsches last year and short of the 1962 356 I really can't say I miss them.
BEST OF LUCK

WOW, I am new to the community of Roadsters, but I hope our new 673 does okay here in the Tucson heat. A couple of years ago I installed a split A/C system in the garage. I tried a swamp cooler but that didn't work out all it did was pump humidity into the air and really wasn't that effective with our high humidity in the summer. It so nice to go out into the garage now in the summer and work on cars and not sweat. I hope our 673 enjoys the A/C as much as I do.
Anyway sorry to see you go, but enjoy the M3, we have enjoyed ours for the past year. It is not the performance, but does have dual motors and really is a hot rod. I sold 3 porsches last year and short of the 1962 356 I really can't say I miss them.
BEST OF LUCK

Interesting to hear others like yourself that traded up to EV from ICE cars. I’ve been a long Porsche guy but even my Cayenne turbo S seems old school and a dinosaur when compared to our Dual Motor MX. I’ve been bitten by the EV bug as well. Happy EV driving!

Reactions: dhrivnak
Roadster 501 was traded in last night (12/19/2019) for a 2020 Model 3 Performance.

I’ve been considering selling for a couple years but could never actually bring myself to post a for sale ad (although I had a few discussions with several folks via private messages), so when the Roadster service email and trade in offer email came out, I asked for a quote out of curiosity. For reference to the community, they offered $50,300 for my 2010 base Roadster with original battery and 18,659 miles. M3P with FSD was about $65,000 (+TTL) and with the additional tax savings from the trade in, I pulled the trigger. (I actually wanted to get a MS Long Range P Raven, but my wife wisely did not approve of the extra expense and we don’t need 3 Model S’s).

I want to thank this Roadster community for being an amazing group. The camaraderie, civility, enthusiasm, and amazing knowledge and expertise shared among owners has made this forum one of my favorite places on the Internet. I lack the technical knowledge and mechanical skill many here have, but I’ve learned so much from you. It feels like Tesla forgot about the Roadster for a while, but I also think all of you here have kept the Roadster alive and cherished. Although I’ve only met a handful of you in person, it seems many of you here are friends.

To expand on my personal reasons for selling, it came down to location and support. While I’m lucky to be near Gruber (I’m going to keep plugging them. They are just fantastic, passionate, hard working, professional, and incredibly smart and talented), my battery was not holding up well in the Phoenix summer heat. My CAC (136-ish IIRC and about 160 miles on a Standard Charge) seemed to be dropping quickly despite low mileage. CAC was 140-141 a year ago and I think 145-ish two years ago. The Roadster belongs in a cooler climate. I would honestly stress at night in the summers here checking OVMS for battery temps and trying to run cooling cycles before going to bed. Driving the car in July in Phoenix is also not fun. The AC goes warm to cool the battery and then you still get a lot of reduced power scenarios because everything is just too hot and I find that mode dangerous because acceleration is so slow.

I had then decided to move the Roadster to a vacation home my wife and I bought in Kona earlier this year, but the SC damaged my PEM at annual service and I lost faith in Tesla’s ability to service it - especially in a remote location of the Big Island of Hawaii. I considered flying Javier, Carl, or one of Pete Gruber’s crew to service the Roadster if it got to Kona, but logistics (how would they get their tools there) and extra cost of paying for the flights just made that impractical. I was not going to trust a mobile Tesla tech from Oahu to work on the car either. Hence, my difficult decision to sell what at one point I thought was going to be my forever car to be passed down to a lucky relative.

Whatever happens to 501, I hope Tesla appreciates it for its history as the first 2.0.

Side note - I met a former Tesla tech a couple weeks ago and 501 was apparently famous at the local SC’s here in AZ. They called it “Franken-Roadster” because, despite being the first 2.0, many components were 1.5. In all honesty, I had a lot of things that needed repair on this car, but most was covered under CPO warranty, and I was proud to care for and maintain the car. Heck, it has a newly refurbished Gruber PEM I hope someone can now enjoy.

It has been great to have been part of this special community. Thank you all. I’ll continue to contribute and support Roadster owners in any way I can.

501 will be missed.

View attachment 490799
Sad to see a fellow Very Orange leave our roadster community. But I do understand your decision. Thank you for your post.

Reactions: MCroadster
Interesting to hear others like yourself that traded up to EV from ICE cars. I’ve been a long Porsche guy but even my Cayenne turbo S seems old school and a dinosaur when compared to our Dual Motor MX. I’ve been bitten by the EV bug as well. Happy EV driving!
I bought an old Boxster several years ago when I needed a fun car and I had 2 kids in college. I spent only $12K on it. It's been bulletproof but I always yearned for a Roadster. This year I finally bought #201, and I love it! But it also gave me new appreciation for the Porsche. The Roadster may seem space age, but by comparison it is primitive compared to the old Boxster, which has 2 cup holders, 2 trunks, AC that always works, a real open-air feel, and it's easy to get in and out of it. The Roadster just spent the last month in the shop getting a new (rebuilt) PEM, and I started to really like the Porsche, getting me to work every day without fail, even in the snow. It's like a reliable girlfriend whose always there for you even when the hot chick dumps you again and again. But my "hot chick" just got home from the shop today and I'm in lust with her again. Sorry Boxster!

Aww... this makes me sad. Your Roadster was the first "serious" consideration I had before buying my 3.0/R80 Roadster (which I was both the 2nd/4th owner). Although my Roadster is also gone now, speaking with you here on TMC privately about your car was eye opening. You gave me knowledge, and passed along insight, along with a great idea of camaraderie. Cannot thank you enough for taking the time to discuss #501 back when I had solicited you about it.

We have a 2018 Model 3 Performance and after 25k+ miles we love it. Having owned 10+ total different Tesla models since 2014, I can say without a doubt the M3 Perf is my favorite of all! You wont be disappointed trust me. PS: If you have a chance to take it to a road course and try out Track Mode, you'll fall in love, all over again! ;) Be well.

• Love
Reactions: shrink and ICON