Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster and Model 3 owners - what do you think of the difference in throttle response lag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not talking about acceleration or torque here, but rather pedal response. In the past, I've heard at least a couple of people say that their Roadster felt a bit more responsive with the accelerator pedal than their Model S or 3. Do any owners of both these cars agree?

To be clear, I'm explicitly talking about the time gap between pressing on the accelerator pedal, and when the car starts to move. In the Model 3, it's quick (guessing 200 milliseconds or less), but I don't think it's instant. I'd love to hear feedback on that.

I have a Standard range plus and a Roadster 2011 Sport 2.5; It feels they are exactly the same, I think the model 3 might have a little more pedal response / instant torque than the roadster since the efficiency and dynamics are better technology and upgraded dramatically. But to comparisons it's almost identical; I describe roadster same speed as model 3 but as a convertible.

but when slowing down with regenerative breaking in the model 3 and then slamming the accelerator at speed of 25-35mph the model 3 does have more or better pedal response / torque or oomf.

I think you might be referring to the transition of pedal response between the two; the model 3 is more smooth transitioning, the roadster is more "Tap" and play. But even in this comparison they are almost the same or identical in pedal response.

The model 3 has quicker pedal response time imo.

Last edited:
My daughter has "test driven" both her sister's Model 3 (RWD long range) and my Roadster (2.0 standard), and her overall feeling was that the Roadster was "more refined" (her words) in its accelerator pedal response. More smooth, less abrupt, especially when transitioning from acceleration to regen to braking. She didn't stomp on either (probably not insignificantly because her sister / dad were in the passenger seats during the tests), so no reaction on how quick they respond to being pushed.

It has also been noted that when doing a drag strip start that one sometimes gets a better result with a squeeze of the accelerator pedal instead of a really quick stomp on it. That's apparently because the ABS system needs a little bit of movement to figure out how to not spin the wheels, and may overcompensate (limit torque) a bit too much at first. If you're already moving, even slowly, stomping on the pedal seems to work better. I haven't tried this quantitatively, but have felt it. If you want to impress someone with the car's quickness during a test drive, start moving sedately first, before showing what the car can do.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. We have a Roadster 2.5 and a Model 3 LR dual motor. My Roadster is noticeably more responsive. That is especially true when transitioning to regen which is far quicker (and much stronger) in the Roadster (not just a little!). The acceleration response also feels quicker in the Roadster.

There is a slight lag in the Model 3 between when I stomp on it and when it gets up to full power. I would guess about 200ms before power begins but then it takes a couple hundred ms more for it to ramp up. There is no such lag in the Roadster. It might take the same 200ms to begin applying power but it is more abrupt from then on. No waiting for "ramping up" like you get on the Model 3.

Just my .02

There is a slight lag in the Model 3 between when I stomp on it and when it gets up to full power.

To be clear, I'm not talking about how quickly it gets from applying low power to high power, but rather the time gap between when you press the accel pedal and the car starts to move even a tiny millimetre. From testing I've done, it seems that's where the lag is on the Model 3 - from some tests I've done, I'm measuring around 120 milliseconds of this pedal lag.

Last edited:
Model S 90D air suspension. I know what you mean, I think it’s the fact the suspension loads up on the border cars where the roadster does not. I feel the response is the same but the lag is due to the suspension and where we sit in the car, the roadster certainly feels like it’s more responsive but after building inverter boards for my LDU I don’t see how it can be.

Model S 90D air suspension. I know what you mean, I think it’s the fact the suspension loads up on the border cars where the roadster does not. I feel the response is the same but the lag is due to the suspension and where we sit in the car, the roadster certainly feels like it’s more responsive but after building inverter boards for my LDU I don’t see how it can be.
Tesla definitively programs a ramp-up of power in the Model 3,S,X to give them a smoother feel. It's less jarring. It's not just the suspension. Aside from throttle response, the application of regen is dramatically different in the Roadster. Much quicker and stronger. My .02

To be clear, I'm not talking about how quickly it gets from applying low power to high power, but rather the time gap between when you press the accel pedal and the car starts to move even a tiny millimetre. From testing I've done, it seems that's where the lag is on the Model 3 - from some tests I've done, I'm measuring around 120 milliseconds of this pedal lag.

Which version of Model 3 have you tested this with?