TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster and Model S Sport Differential - No Longer Available

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by 330built, Feb 10, 2015.

1. 330built

330built Member

Roadster and Model S Sport Differential

Brand New Tesla Factory upgrade diff. Genuine Tesla part. This item is better than what the factory installed. I was going to install this on a Roadster but that fell through. So it's up for sale. If you want to improve the handling of your Roadster, this is a must. I prefer local pickup but will ship at buyer's expense.

I was just informed that the diff specs (dimensions, spline count, OD bearings, etc.) are the same as the Model S. It hasn't been installed in one yet but it would be a great upgrade!

List Date: 2/10/2015

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Roadster and Model S Sport Differential
    --------------------------------------
    This item is no longer available.

browseformore.png
    --------------------------------------
    tesla-motors-club.gif
    FP6xag7rS6hk.JPG
    ApJ34NAKw3VB.JPG
    17bz2bGYx7hs.JPG

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

How is it better than stock? I don't recall Tesla offering an upgraded part.

3. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

The final drive ratio is the same between the standard and the sport model. Is this just a little stronger to handle the extra 22 lb-ft of torque in the sport model?

4. 330built

330built Member

The Roadster is an open diff (but has independent braking via computer), but this is a true 2 way diff. It better puts even distribution of power to the ground. I'm not sure if it ever made it to production so needless to say, it's very rare.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well, well... Apparently it is a prototype for an upgrade that was never released.

Managed to learn this additional useful info:

"Built in Australia...
    The gearbox needs to be slightly modified as one of the internal castings protrudes too much.
    Gearbox oil needs to be Castrol Syntax Limited Slip 75W-90."

I suspect that the owner will get absolutely no support from Tesla whatsoever to make it work.

How exactly did you get your hands on that in the first place?

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would certainly not take on the risk of installing that part in my Roadster not knowing what negative consequences might result.

7. 330built

330built Member

I was not aware of the slight modification needed, but good to know. I would agree about no support from Tesla. But it was a performance upgrade Tesla was considering, along with others. Why did they not offer more "upgrades" for the Roadster? Don't know. But I suspect they wanted to concentrate more on the Model S and other future cars.

As for how I have this item in my possession,…. I have a friend.

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

If I was going to put this in, I'd pick up another Borg Warner case to modify for this diff so you'd have the stock setup. Also things need to be very very balanced, and if not done right, will eat up the AC motor bearings. I've seen a few motors get messed up due to something that was off down the line of the power-train.

Its always nice having a good friend :)

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I know of one person that got one of these and got it to work... But I don't know if there are any others. It was a "shelved" project as far as I know.

I think it would mostly be useful if you were trying to turn a Roadster into a track car, but there are a lot of other improvements it also needs if you want to go there.