Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Announcement Next Week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Mod note: title updated from Roadster 2.0 Announcement next week]

So Elon just tweeted that he will announce upgrades for the Roadster for next week... Any ideas on what it might be? I assume part of it will be Supercharger compatibility, and a similar battery as the Model S. Will it be an AWD Roadster? Will they continue with the Lotus body? If I remember correctly, Elon mentioned that wasn't a good choice in hindsight... Will they redesign the body? Doing so will delay production most likely.
Let the speculation begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ideas on what it might be? I assume part of it will be Supercharger compatibility, and a similar battery as the Model S. Will it be an AWD Roadster? Will they continue with the Lotus body? If I remember correctly, Elon mentioned that wasn't a good choice in hindsight... Will they redesign the body? Doing so will delay production most likely.

Roadsters can't be compatible with SuperCharging for a whole variety of reasons. The Roadster line was limited and will not be produced again; this isn't an update to existing production because existing Roadster production is finished, non-existent.

It's details of the Roadster update, not a new car. Much longer discussion here-->400-Mile-Pack-(Was-New-Roadster-Goodies-for-2014)

Roadsters can't be compatible with SuperCharging for a whole variety of reasons. The Roadster line was limited and will not be produced again; this isn't an update to existing production because existing Roadster production is finished, non-existent.

It's details of the Roadster update, not a new car. Much longer discussion here-->400-Mile-Pack-(Was-New-Roadster-Goodies-for-2014)

+1 Agree. It's def about the Roadster update. He's not announcing a new car.

Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 2.22.43 PM.png

Elon's "update", which I am very happy to know is coming soon, is almost certainly about the new higher capacity Roadster battery. It is not about providing Supercharger access to Roadsters nor will it be about a new version of the Roadster. That is years away, and neither Elon or Tesla has said anything specific about the next Roadster, nor has there been any kind of commitment to ever producing it.
CORRECTION: a TMC forum members posted transcript of Elon's response to the question at this years Tesla shareholders meeting asking about what will be "new" for the Roadster this year reads as follows: "We are planning an update for it, we're hoping to do it this year. We'll do something before the end of this year. A next gen roadster is 5 years away."

I was at that meeting. I will have to go back and watch the video again.

Anyway, I am excited about learning details of the Roadster battery upgrade soon. Hopefully we will learn the new pack capacity, price, and an approximate availability date. I want one!

Last edited:
Right, but unless I misunderstood Nigel, the Roadster will get produced again in the future...a completely different vehicle though...I'd bet at least 5 years away ...didn't Elon say 2018 -2020 a while back?

Correct about dates, and that a new Roadster will bear little resemblance to our cars. My earlier post was partly in response to the thread being titled "Roadster 2.0", the title has been updated to avoid confusion.

Some of us are tired with the lack of transparency and the games.

Just say what you need to say and get it out into the open.

If this is the future of TESLA I may need to re-think my future car choices.

I want clear direction and promises kept on schedule without hokus pokus.

I want clear statements without unnecessary fanfare.

I grew out of this kind of crap in adolescence. Is Elon MUsk trying to become the next GM (and I don't mean that in a positive way)?

Best,

T
You know that Elon likes to keep us on the edge. :smile:

P.S.
Hope that my sentence was in good English.

I grew out of this kind of crap in adolescence. Is Elon MUsk trying to become the next GM (and I don't mean that in a positive way)?

Best,

T
I wish you would. You seem to have a very angry short fuse. You woke up on Christmas and no present under the tree? This week doesn't end till Saturday night. Perhaps he is with family enjoying his life?

Best,

T

Come on, don't be so serious. Maybe that Elon is going to give us a real surprise? You never know what could happen when it comes to Tesla. :smile: