Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Announcement Next Week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amen, Steve, you got that right!
Will the price of Roadsters skyrocket?
~Larry

hey... can we drop the whole "Iron Man" thing, and just have him introduced at events with something along the lines of, "Ladies, and Gentleman, The Hardest Working Billionaire in the Galaxy, ELON MUSK!" to some super catchy James Brown music?

"Elon being Elon" as you call it, is a sign that he is not following a proper formula, hence he is perceived as being different by you and others. I interpret his actions as arrogance and lack of discipline and lack of respect for the customer base. So do others on this BB, but when we voice such concerns we get shouted down, as if that changes our perceptions or reality.

The boston Red Sox had a player who frequently did stupid stuff, but he was a beloved member of the team none-the-less. His name was Manny Ramirez. Every time he did another something stupid, it was written off as "Manny being Manny". I couldn't help but bring that same phrase to Elon Musk's behavior. He's very atypical and he does the most unexpected of things sometimes, and I personally feel that most people enjoy it, me included. However, I can't and shouldn't speak for you...

I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intent. However, I personally enjoy the playfulness of Elon Musk and the teasers he drops. that being said, I've about six months experience with this forum, and two months experience with Tesla ownership. Were I an investor, I have no doubt I'd have very different views of Elon's behavior, but my experience with Tesla to this point has been top tier and the picture of perfection in customer service. To each his own -- I respect your opinion, as I respect the opinions of all members of this forum. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and life would be boring if they did.

So...
To all members of this forum, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, have a wonderful holiday, and a happy new year!!

I personally enjoy the playfulness of Elon Musk and the teasers he drops. that being said, I've about six months experience with this forum, and two months experience with Tesla ownership. Were I an investor, I have no doubt I'd have very different views of Elon's behavior, but my experience with Tesla to this point has been top tier and the picture of perfection in customer service.

As a TSLA investor and Tesla owner I have no problem with Elon's occasionally somewhat unorthodox behavior for a CEO: in fact I admire and welcome it.

While quirky and not my personal style Elon gets a LOT of play and mileage. Look at the Tesla brand with virtually no advertising. I think that is quite impressive. So as both an owner and an investor I hope Elon keeps it up as it appears to be working well.

I am both a long investor and an option trader. We are about to take delivery of a P85D funded entirely by option trades on TSLA. I rather appreciate the volatility Elon's free-wheeling style induces in the stock. :wink:

Seriously, while I first found him unnerving, I now totally celebrate his straight-from-the-heart, straight-from-the-hip communicate style. I am convinced that he never intends to deceive, only to bust up assumptions and conventions and move us all forward.

And thanks for the offer of a big battery under the tree, Elon. I might take a rain check on it, but SO glad to know my beloved "Saffron" has another lease on life.

Well, according to CNET (so information may be incorrect), this is not just a battery upgrade... It will require aerodynamic changes, tire change, and wheel bearing changes.

Suddenly this seems a bit more involved and a bit less of a simple battery pack swap.

Tire change also concerns me as Less rolling resistance may also make driving in the rain or snow more dangerous.

I'm interested, but with body restyling and such I wonder...

Last edited:
Well, according to CNET (so information may be incorrect), this is not just a battery upgrade... It will require aerodynamic changes and wheel bearing changes.

Suddenly this seems a bit more involved and a bit less of a simple battery pack swap.

I'm interested, but with body restyling and such I wonder...

You're a Roadster owner. Did you not get the email about it? Details also posted on Tesla's site at Roadster 3.0 | Blog | Tesla Motors, or just check around the forum. People have posted the letter, also.

No, no E-mail. Strange, as I am fully integrated in the system.

I will call my dealership and ask to be added.

Thanks for your heads up Bonnie!

Much appreciated.

T

- - - Updated - - -

For those like me who missed the online update, (and thanks to Bonnie, who has shown again she has her finger on the pulse), I include the text from the link she posted.

Of course I will strongly consider the upgrade, but now it looks as if there will be Roadsters in their original suits, and upgraded units. I prefer upgrades in some sense, but I can't help but be curious as to how this will affect price. Will it increase price as making the vehicles more fully optioned, OR decrease price in the sense that one would never swap a Chevy engine into a GTO Judge and expect the value to remain high?

It will be "New Coke" vs "Classic Coke" vs "Original Recipe" I guess.

They also still seem to be in R&D phase, but at least now there is some new more concrete information.

It all seems intriguing...

Tesla release regarding upgrades is below:

Roadster 3.0

By The Tesla Motors Team TAGS: Customers / Model S /
The Roadster 3.0 package applies what we've learned in Model S to Roadster. No new Model S battery pack or major range upgrade is expected in the near term.

Battery technology has continued a steady improvement in recent years, as has our experience in optimizing total vehicle efficiency through Model S development. We have long been excited to apply our learning back to our first vehicle, and are thrilled to do just that with the prototype Roadster 3.0 package. It consists of three main improvement areas.
1. Batteries
The original Roadster battery was the very first lithium ion battery put into production in any vehicle. It was state of the art in 2008, but cell technology has improved substantially since then. We have identified a new cell that has 31% more energy than the original Roadster cell. Using this new cell we have created a battery pack that delivers roughly 70kWh in the same package as the original battery.
2. Aerodynamics
The original Roadster had a drag coefficient (Cd) of 0.36. Using modern computational methods we expect to make a 15% improvement, dropping the total Cd down to 0.31 with a retrofit aero kit.
3. Rolling Resistance
The original Roadster tires have a rolling resistance coefficient (Crr) of 11.0 kg/ton. New tires that we will use on the Roadster 3.0 have a Crr of roughly 8.9 kg/ton, about a 20% improvement. We are also making improvements in the wheel bearings and residual brake drag that further reduce overall rolling resistance of the car.
Summary
Combining all of these improvements we can achieve a predicted 40-50% improvement on range between the original Roadster and Roadster 3.0. There is a set of speeds and driving conditions where we can confidently drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles. We will be demonstrating this in the real world during a non-stop drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the early weeks of 2015.
We are confident that this will not be the last update the Roadster will receive in the many years to come.
Happy Holidays.

this is not just a battery upgrade... It will require aerodynamic changes, tire change, and wheel bearing changes.

Agree. So I would like to say what I consider just an idea: why Tesla, apart from installing the 3.0 upgrade to all Roadster owners wanting it, doesn't also build a new set of say 1000 new Tesla Roadsters 3.0?

This would have a great PR effect and I am sure that the new set of Roadsters would be sold out in a few months.

Agree. So I would like to say what I consider just an idea: why Tesla, apart from installing the 3.0 upgrade to all Roadster owners wanting it, doesn't also build a new set of say 1000 new Tesla Roadsters 3.0?

This would have a great PR effect and I am sure that the new set of Roadsters would be sold out in a few months.

I think this has been covered in prior threads and posts.

1) Tesla did not have capacity to build BOTH the Model S and the Roadster, so the shoppe needed to be retooled for only Model S, and Roadster was discontinued.
2) Roadster was never meant to be a long term unit, just a proof of concept. Once the Roadster succeeded it proved E-vehicles were possible with today's technology. This attracted attention and more investment and allowed the Sedan to become a reality.
3) Roadster design required some type of variance to allow it to continue without all the mandated USA safety requirements. Those variances expired at the close of 2011. The Roadster is based on the Elise by Lotus. That is the same reason the Lotus Elise and Exide are also banned from the current USA market. Obtaining new permits and releases and variances would cost millions and much time for a very limited and select clientele. There would be no profit.
4) Restarting production for the Roadster would require re-tooling yet again, along with new production spaces (as the technologies between the Roadster and Sedan are radically different so the same assembly lines cannot be used), and that will cost tens of millions.

If they were to do it all over again, I doubt they would do it the same way Raffy. Roadsters are like old stamps or old coins or past vintages of wines... They were made, are sought after, and will not be reproduced.

Best,

T

Last edited:
.../ So I would like to say what I consider just an idea: why Tesla, apart from installing the 3.0 upgrade to all Roadster owners wanting it, doesn't also build a new set of say 1000 new Tesla Roadsters 3.0?

Guessing: Basically because the resources needed to do that are far better spent refining the Model S and the Model X, and developing the model 3 and the gigafactory...