Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster at 2008 Gumball 3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume it is even worse than this. The other cars (if I understand it correctly) drove from San Francisco to L.A. We know this is pretty much impossible with the Tesla. So it must have just gone through the parade, and then gotten loaded back up on a plane and flown on each domestic hop as well.

Of course, probably the cargo plane was already in San Francisco and was already flying to each of the domestic stops as well, so that fuel was probably being spent regardless.

According to this video YouTube - Gumball 3000 2008 LA checkpoint | gumpert apollo ferrari enzo jaguar xj220 f430 scuderia porsche Carrera GT cgt with straight pipes
less than half of the original 120 cars made it to LA on time. The Tesla wasn't in the video either so it might not have made it. The rally started on the 9th at 12pm-1pm and they had to leave Los Angeles by 9am-10am on the 10th. So that's roughly 21 hours of time to make it from San Francisco to Los Angeles, so it should be barely possible with the Tesla if you can get proper charging in between (at least 220V) and you go easy on the accelerator pedal (unlikely given what the trip computer says). It's roughly 380 miles from SF to Los Angeles & 6 hours of driving, so it'll take roughly 1-2 charges (each probably taking 8 hours).

From what I understand, none of the domestic stops involve a plane, so if the Tesla is flying by plane it'll pretty much be alone. Also it is possible only go on the domestic stops and opt out of going on the flight to North Korea and Beijing.

Edit:
They planned to do the first 100 miles in the Tesla, then the rest of the rally will be driven in a Porsche.
That makes a lot more sense, it'll be a struggle if not impossible for the Tesla to make it all the way.

Last edited:
Actually, the driver of the Tesla in those photos at the Fairmont last Saturday is Ken Howery (PayPal co-founder).

The car in question seems to have red seat inserts and manufacturer plates which suggests it might have been P1 being loaned to another PayPal alumnus for this event.

I read that his "Founder's Fund" (or is that "Funder's Fund?") just put a bunch of money into SpaceX.

--- --- ---

Report from Hollywood

Report from San Diego

( Has anyone spotted the [015] Tesla other than in SF at the start? )

Last edited:
For an event like this (where don't forget as we say the entry fee was $120k), could they not have made an ESS with 2600mAh cells and/or swapped the passenger for even more cells? Do the rules require a co-driver?

Maybe they could have arranged a location halfway along the stage where they could drop out the empty ESS for a charged one? It would have been great to see the same car roll into LA and sent out a real message - even if it did require a battery swap-out.

[Edit] Thinking about this more - what they have done, IMHO if true, sends out the wrong message altogether. By leaving SF in a Tesla and apparently turning up to LA in a Porsche, not only will they annoy the environmentalists and EV fans, but will give ammo to the die-hard petrolheads that think electric power has no place in a car or event like this because it couldn't make even the first stage. Sure there was some good PR to be had by having the car stickered up and taking part in the parade at the start, but I'm sure that will backfire if certain elements of the media decide to make a point of it.

Last edited:
The car in question seems to have red seat inserts and manufacturer plates which suggests it might have been P1 being loaned to another PayPal alumnus for this event.

( Has anyone spotted the [015] Tesla other than in SF at the start? )

It at least has the same plates as P1 when seen earlier.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-roadster/1290-random-roadster-sightings.html

2605804091_5973d85f80.jpg

2748401738_5abe7449a5.jpg

Note, although I do think it could well be P1, they do likely have multiple of that plate #, and they can be moved from car to car, so there is a chance it is a different car.

Consumer plates have to be unique, but dealer/distributor/manufacturer plates can have multiple duplicate copies.

Having that plate on the car does suggest it could be P1 though because other "customer delivered" cars don't seem to have manufacturer plates on them anymore.

I suppose we need a post pointing out that the Gumball rally is shameless excess.
Yes, but it's also pretty cool. I also like seeing the Roadster with other supercars.

Note, although I do think it could well be P1, they do likely have multiple of that plate #, and they can be moved from car to car, so there is a chance it is a different car.
True. The pictures from that Scobleizer/Calacanis joy ride (shortly after delivery) showed P1 with a different plate than these more recent photos.

I also like seeing the Roadster with other supercars.

Yes, I agree. But seeing them together at a Concours or a more refined / controlled event like "The Drive" seems more appealing to me. The Gumball rally is just too "out there" with blatant exhibitions of speed mixed with a rowdy party crowd. The comments on many of the blogs suggest that many find the event offensive.

Covering the cars with corporate sponsor stickers further detracts from the whole scene.

...showed P1 with a different plate than these more recent photos.

Yes, first Manufacturer plates, then Dealer plates.

2276948054_0e01ce0c2a.jpg

2605804091_5973d85f80.jpg

By the way, the caption on that photo of the "Gumball 3000" Roadster in the store is "Tesla P1", so I think my guess (of it being P1) based on dealer plates and red seat inserts (plus the Paypal connection) turned out to be right.