Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster at CES Blaupunkt booth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
2185760568_e8f5c96164_b.jpg

If I'm not mistaken that photos is a different engineering prototype, it's Magnetic Blue. This can get confusing, so here's a handy table:

really really light blue = Lotus Polar Blue = Tesla Glacier Blue
light blue = Lotus Laser Blue = Tesla Electric Blue
dark blue = Lotus Magnetic Blue = not offered by Tesla
really really dark blue = Lotus Nightfall Blue = not offered by Tesla

Tesla prototypes have been seen and photographed in ALL FOUR shades of blue, including the two that Tesla doesn't offer. :rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but I think the euro-test car in that photo is the same one (EP6) on display now on the USA tradeshow circuit.

See this post for reference.

Camera settings and lighting conditions can make the same color look a lot different in different photos.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I think the euro-test car in that photo is the same one (EP6) on display now on the USA tradeshow circuit.

Camera settings and lighting conditions can make the same color look a lot different in different photos.

I could be wrong too, but from where I sit the one in the "spy photo" looks like Magnetic Blue, and the one in the Blaupunkt booth looks like Nightfall Blue. Without any other data to consider, I'd tend to assume they are just what they appear to be.

Some photos for comparison. . .

magnetic_blue_small.jpg

nightfall_blue.jpg

Magnetic Blue and Nightfall Blue, respectively.

Well, that dark blue seems to look much darker on overcast days or when photographed indoors...

396556539_c174b486ea.jpg

(Notice the same add on foglights and missing nose logo badge as on the "227 OC" photo previously posted)

Now another of EP6 after they put badges on it and brought it over to the US to go on display:
1549238141_74dc23e281.jpg

(Notice the holes in the bumper for the license plate frame)

Another at the Blaupunkt booth:
IMGP0056-thumb-608x456.jpg

(Could they have been using some red lights at that booth that makes the car look more purple?)

EP6 in NYC again:
1550098634_cc3be72117.jpg

(Notice the VP style tail-lights on both the CES and CCC photos)

Last edited:
OK. But we are still wondering/debating if all those picture are of the same car, or if there are two different variations of "dark blue" roadster out there. My theory is that they are one in the same with different lighting making the photos appear different, but I am not 100% sure.

By the way, there are different blue color prototypes.
EP3 may be "Glacier Blue":
glacier_blue.03.jpg

and VP9 may be "Electric Blue":
electric_blue.3.jpg

They had one on display in my neck of the woods (Wash. DC) this past summer. Diarmuid O’Connell and Colette Niazmand were there.

It was (I believe) the same dark blue one that recently appeared at CES.

Diarmuid told me that this was originally the one that went through all the salt spray corrosion testing back in the UK. Afterwards, they had planned to simply scrap it, since the paint wasn't looking too good, plus it was a very early vehicle and would need extensive work to bring it up to date.

Instead they decided to simply give it a fresh paint job, (although in a non-Tesla color), ship it to the US, and use it for show-and-tell display-only opportunities like at DC and CES, etc.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it may be EP6.

OK. But we are still wondering/debating if all those picture are of the same car, or if there are two different variations of "dark blue" roadster out there. My theory is that they are one in the same with different lighting making the photos appear different, but I am not 100% sure.

I'm sticking with my theory that they are two different cars: one in Magnetic Blue, one in Nightfall Blue. But can't be 100% sure either, because lighting and cameras can play their tricks. Also remember, there's no guarantee that the EPs were even painted in standard Lotus colors. For example, they might cut some corners and left out some paint layers or metal flake that normally would be there, and it would change the tone somewhat.

Here Darryl talks about EP6 being repainted for "marketing purposes":

Perhaps it got a slightly different color during the repaint?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the email I have from Tesla Motors, EP6 arrived in New York City just prior to Oct. 11th. It arrived by ship from the UK and was the dark blue car seen in the durability testing pictures. I saw the car at the CCC Club in NYC on Oct. 11th, from there it went to Washington DC then on to Tesla Motors.