Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Battery and PEM for the future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious if anyone has considered any NON-Tesla Roadster options for the battery and the PEM.
Gruber and some others are obviously doing a great job refurbishing and repairing the PEM and the battery but it probably won't be a long-term solution, given the closed source nature of the software and unavailability of parts.
At the same time, there seem to be more and more options for electrifying ICE cars or other EV systems.
I am curious whether anyone has looked into this ...
I would rather pay a bit more for an open (non-Tesla) system that is future proof than repairing or refurbishing the battery and PEM with the knowledge that it will just delay the inevitable.

PS: I thought about this again today when I saw the news about the new Lotus electric car models ... which look damn similar to our setup: Here’s how Lotus is going to build lightweight electric sports cars

Reactions: eHorses
I would rather pay a bit more for an open (non-Tesla) system that is future proof than repairing or refurbishing the battery and PEM with the knowledge that it will just delay the inevitable.

while that makes sense, and is a good idea, there’s no such thing as a future-proof system. If it’s a replacement created by another company, then it’s only future proof while that company is in business and decides to support it. If it’s open source, then it’s only as good as the community that contributes. And many open source projects are really just a couple of people maintaining that particular item.

Also, for many of us, we are not electrical or software engineers so we really need others to assist. One of the reasons I parted with #609 is that I did not feel I had the expertise to maintain it on my own or the time needed to learn to maintain it on my own. I suspect there are many who feel the same way.

I still believe that Tesla opening up all Roadster IP and documentation to the community is best for long term viability. That might encourage and allow someone to build replacements.

Nearly every other manufacture makes components that talk to each other, where as the PEM is an integrated unit. You certainly can use a the volt components as stand alone, along with leaf, bolt, model 3 and S/X with simple (even I can do it) can bus commands. The power steering from a model S is being used in kits, the chargers have been hacked for quite some time, the volt dc converter needs only one line of code. At that point you may as well make a whole EV conversion, and I'm sorry, or glad, to say the roadster is far from the ideal candidate for that.