Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster battery: Sudden Range/Charge drops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I bought a 2012 Roadster back in November and have enjoyed it for over 16000km so far, the car has 29000km in total now. CAC is still very healthy at 157.72 and has not moved much since the car was new.

But in those few months, I experienced 3 unexplainable battery charge drops.

Yesterday I arrived home with 74km range left. I could not immediately access my garage, so I parked it outside for max 1 hour. I got back in and range had dropped to 42km.

This is a graph of a similar drop that happened last month, when SOC dropped from 20% to 7% in the first half hour after driving:

Drop.JPG

As my car is till under warranty for 2 more months, I need to figure out if this is something they need to address or not.

I've seen the same thing happen after driving to a low SOC, parking for a hour then getting back in the car. The range estimate seems to be unstable at low SOC, especially when restarting the car after a long drive. No other issues with the battery, and my CAC is holding in around 156. I'm chalking it up to a bug in the algorithm.