Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster buyer in Norway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’m New here and hope I do this correctly. I’m impressed by the level of activity and knowledge on the forum. I hope now to get some advice when I’m helling a friend to but a second hand Roadster here in Norway. You may find this interesting/exotic, but main purpose for this is an investment. With only 2500 made and Roadster bring the first really usefull EV...all the attention Tesla/Musk gets etc...(my friend drives a Tesla X).
Please help me dechifre VIN SFZRE2B18A3000190 first reg in Norway 11 March 2010. Thanks in advance. Here is the ad:
Tesla Roadster

Hello Christian,

Welcome to the forum! But I am not sure what your question is about the VIN. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of European Roadster VINs will be able to help you.

Buying a Tesla Roadster as an “investment” is, in my opinion, a high risk decision. There is no way to know if in the future the car will significantly increase in value or decrease in value. I think it is likely the cars will decrease in value as it becomes more difficult to get parts and as modern EVs become continually more capable and sophisticated compared to the Roadster, which has many limitations (Note: I owned Roadster #425 for four years and greatly enjoyed the car!).

It could be a decade or more before the Roadster becomes a collectible “classic”, and during that time the car will have to be maintained, stored, and insured. Over a long period of time that costs a lot of money. And will critical Roadster parts that Tesla custom made internally be available a decade from now? Some parts are hard to get right now!

I realize my position on this issue may not be a popular one in a forum full of Roadster owners. And there are reasons to believe that the Roadster will become a valued “classic”. It could happen. As an example, I have owned three Porsche 356’s: a 1964 and two 1959 models. One of them doubled in value during the 5 years I owned it, and I sold it to buy a 2013 Model S. It paid for the S.

However, that increase in value occurred more than 50 years after the Porsche 356 was built. I did not buy it in 1959 when it was new, I bought it in 2008. From the late 1960’s to the 1990’s the car was worth about $1,000, far less than the approximately $4,000 it cost to buy in 1959. Only 50 years later did 356 values start to increase.

I hope that Roadster values increase in the future. But I would not buy a Roadster as an investment, I would buy it because it’s really cool and fun to drive!

No I think you nailed it, we wish they were going to become collectors cars but I see the ev conversions on much more prestige vehicles becoming truly collectors vehicles. The roadster is so few in numbers it’s pretty much a custom car, and those are not for everyone. But a classic with a generic repairable/replaceable electric drivetrain would more of something that will hold its value. The Roadster has the advantage of looking cool, like the lotus or any low slung limited run sports car, it has that going for it, obviously it’s a great car and most owners past and present love the cars still, but I doubt anyone is keeping it to be a classic. It’s a car to enjoy for the moment, something I’m reminded of every time I go for a drive.

Last edited:
Though to add, it will be one of those cars which is a pleasure to drive. It's basically a bad ass go kart, which is relatively simple to maintain, inherently dumb from a perspective of modern electric cars and is every bit a drivers car; there isn't frankly anything else on the road which is as fun. And you know what, I think unless Mazda do a MX5-electric, then I doubt we'll see anything else as fun for a long time if ever.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Hi, I’m New here and hope I do this correctly. I’m impressed by the level of activity and knowledge on the forum. I hope now to get some advice when I’m helling a friend to but a second hand Roadster here in Norway. You may find this interesting/exotic, but main purpose for this is an investment. With only 2500 made and Roadster bring the first really usefull EV...all the attention Tesla/Musk gets etc...(my friend drives a Tesla X).
Please help me dechifre VIN SFZRE2B18A3000190 first reg in Norway 11 March 2010. Thanks in advance. Here is the ad:
Tesla Roadster
Sorry I can't read the add but if you have a specific question or two I will try to answer. I have been a Roadster owner for over 8 years now. While I hope it will increase in value and become a collectible we unfortunately do not know this. I will agree it is a blast to drive. Not nearly as refined as the Model 3 or the S but it is fun to drive especially on a nice day.

Thanks everyone for useful feedback (and sorry for bad spelling due to Norwegian autocorrect...). I agree that it is impossible to know much about prices in the future without the magic crystal ball. Also that it is different to compare with the boom in Porsche prices like ECARFAN has experienced himself (I bought a 964 Turbo in 2013 and made a nice profit when I sold it after a year, but prices doubled since then...). I will help my friend buying a Roadster as he hopefully will use it for fun driving when the weather is nice (long winters in northern Europe). I have approached the seller of the specific example #190 Signature, checking about history/services etc. Once that is ok, I will ask the forum here to confirm that the vehicle has original wheels, radio etc by uploading an image or two. Thanks in advance.

If someone here knows about an very early example (maybe even "gear stick") we could be interested and perhaps import it to Norway. Must be accident free and original.

Greetings from Norway with and inch fresh snow...

Tesla Roadster
I suspect your correct in terms of becoming a collector item but not for years. Prices still dropping on resales. If your able to do own work on it, otherwise repair costs could make it a poor investment. For example new battery 30,000 US dollars and PEM repairs expensive too. Parts availability becoming an issue too. I owned one and it was a blast to drive but not a long distance car (charging, minimal luggage space and very small passenger space).

I don't want to hack this thread, but I have a roadster for sale in Europe:

One of the last made end of 2011.

Tesla Roadster 2.5
First registration 22/05/2012
89000 km
Arctic White
Decals Tesla black
Full black leather interior
Xenon
Infotainment package
Alarm
Softtop
OEM Hardtop carbon (painted matt black)
2 sets OEM wheels: standard + forged black
4 chargers included

Fully restored, comes with:

New motor with 2 years warranty
New PEM with 2 years warranty
New 3.0 Battery with 2 years warranty (not installed yet, currently has a 2.0 loaner battery)
New PEM/Motor fan

Parts alone costed over € 61000!

PM for more info.

Reactions: ICON