Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster carbon fiber door sills back in stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update #3: the carbon fiber door sills are real and in stock! They were delivered to Tesla Sunnyvale and will be installed on February 19th. I requested the silver scuff plate but was told they have the black one. We'll see. I'll post photos when it's all done.

I may just take you up on that. Let's see on the 19th what they actually delivered.

Ok. Let me know or PM me, also if you need any help with the install or questions.

Yes start at the back and they are not hard to replace. Start slow at the back and they use some mighty stiff Velcro but you can coax it off. No hidden clips but it does slip into the lower dash price.

As for the removal of the sill mentioned above, that's correct. Start from the back. One thing I will point out is that if you want to preserve your original sills, be VERY VERY careful when pulling up with any amount of pressure. You really have to feel the whole thing out. Using different types of pressure, quickness, etc. The material the sills and door panels are made of, well, let me put it they're non-forgiving. Any stress point they get they crack like an eggshell. I've seen members crack their door panels before. I removed my own sills myself, but my driver's side was already cracked which they do there from getting in/out. So it was a good one to experiment with. I pulled the passenger side off which was easier since I could see where all the velcro mounting spots were. That's where you need to pull up with a little more force. So I was able to preserve that one, ended up selling it to a member here who had a cracked passenger side sill so that worked out well.

Does the carbon fiber sill set look good in an otherwise black stock interior?

Do you mean like this?

szzDTWVkdZKQ.JPG

Ok. Let me know or PM me, also if you need any help with the install or questions.

As for the removal of the sill mentioned above, that's correct. Start from the back. One thing I will point out is that if you want to preserve your original sills, be VERY VERY careful when pulling up with any amount of pressure. You really have to feel the whole thing out. Using different types of pressure, quickness, etc. The material the sills and door panels are made of, well, let me put it they're non-forgiving. Any stress point they get they crack like an eggshell. I've seen members crack their door panels before. I removed my own sills myself, but my driver's side was already cracked which they do there from getting in/out. So it was a good one to experiment with. I pulled the passenger side off which was easier since I could see where all the velcro mounting spots were. That's where you need to pull up with a little more force. So I was able to preserve that one, ended up selling it to a member here who had a cracked passenger side sill so that worked out well.

The local SC manager, an original Roadster tech, said that it's very hard on the skin, but a "best practice" is to slide your hand under the sill, from the back, using your fingers to separate the two strips of velcro from each other. I imagine a thin strip of wood, or maybe something borrowed from the kitchen could help here too. He also echoed the warning that these things break very very easily.

Ugh, I'd kill for the tan lower dash. I've just got tan seats and the middle of the doors. And no CF upper sills. I just want to replace the bottom sills, if that looks good. My stock plastic pieces aren't looking so great.

The tan dash was part of an executive leather package, its really unique and rare. I have tan/black seats with tan/black door trim. I also have the non CF uppers but have the black looking not silver CF sills. The look is nice, very eye catching and the sills are very strong hence my reason to upgrade. I'm sure you'll like them.

Hey josh-io or Curt, any update? I just ordered a set from Tesla. I'm actually agnostic on the silver vs black. I've been fine with the silver on the base ones (I rarely wear black-soled dress shoes) but they're developing "pimples". It hasn't bothered me enough to order the CF ones. My wife drove my car yesterday and said that I MUST replace those door sills, they're embarrassing. Permission granted! :)

My only fear now is that I've walked onto a slippery slope and more CF will be ordered.....

Hey josh-io or Curt, any update? I just ordered a set from Tesla. I'm actually agnostic on the silver vs black. I've been fine with the silver on the base ones (I rarely wear black-soled dress shoes) but they're developing "pimples". It hasn't bothered me enough to order the CF ones. My wife drove my car yesterday and said that I MUST replace those door sills, they're embarrassing. Permission granted! :)

My only fear now is that I've walked onto a slippery slope and more CF will be ordered.....

Yes - I'm happy to report that these things really do exist!

When I placed my order, I got an email telling me that I would be alerted when the new sills were being shipped to my local Service Center. Never heard anything (sort of didn't expect to).

Fast forward to last week. I took my Roadster in to get the trunk actuator replaced, and when they called the next day to tell me that my car would be ready soon, they said that "The Door Sills are being installed now, and then we'll wash it and call you again".

I would have preferred the ones with the black inserts, but I'm OK with the silver ones I got. Big improvement over the cracked original sills.