Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster CHAdeMO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had heard that Tony Williams was building a CHAdeMO charger for the RAV4EV (which uses something like a 50-ish kWh Model S battery pack). From watching this clip, it sounds like it's adaptable to other cars. I'm not really interested in charging my Roadster with CHAdeMO (or supercharging it) because I don't care to drive my Roadster for long distances. But, it seems like this might be a reasonable intermediate solution between 40A public charging and supercharging.
The EV Show - January 2015 - EV West - YouTube

Its doable, however the Roadster's battery pack needs to be dropped in order to have proper access to the contactor and add the means to make if functional, but most importantly safe. Dropping the pack is not an easy feat. You'll also have to find some strange but useful place to put the CHADeMO connector, and off the top of my head I don't know of any good place to do that without hacking into the CF hull of the car. Such as putting a charge port on the passenger side mirroring the drivers side one. But it would be tough making it look like factory. Would be nice but I don't like hack jobs and its more work than what its really worth.