Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Charge Port Door Stuck Shut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If its the lock that won't release, try getting a flat plastic object and place it in the crack of the rear part of the charge port door. The black locking mechanism is on the rear inside facing part of the charge port and a little favored towards the bottom. If you can get the plastic piece in there just right you may be able to manually retract the (black) locking shaft to release the charge port door if its stuck.

P1090403.jpg

If its the lock that won't release, try getting a flat plastic object and place it in the crack of the rear part of the charge port door. The black locking mechanism is on the rear inside facing part of the charge port and a little favored towards the bottom. If you can get the plastic piece in there just right you may be able to manually retract the (black) locking shaft to release the charge port door if its stuck.

Wait, there's a lock? Mine is just stiff, or at least that's what I assumed. Need two fingers to pry it open, and keep it from springing back closed again.

You can reach around the back side and pull the locking arm back to release it. It is just a pin and a spring to push it towards the door latch. Here are some pics from the rear. You can see the pin in both the in and out position.
SAM_3880.JPG
SAM_3881.JPG

All this input was very helpful, folks. And gave me the courage to apply a little more elbow grease and, hey presto, as if by magic, it is open.

Before receiving the wisdom of the group, I was worried about pulling too hard, snapping some sort of latch, and ending up breaking something which meant I couldn't charge even if I got the flap to open.

Going forwards, I will grease with Vaseline when I can, to make the mechanism operate a little more smoothly, like it used to.

Thanks again, all. Problem solved (easily and without cost: the best way).
Volta.

All this input was very helpful, folks. And gave me the courage to apply a little more elbow grease and, hey presto, as if by magic, it is open.

Before receiving the wisdom of the group, I was worried about pulling too hard, snapping some sort of latch, and ending up breaking something which meant I couldn't charge even if I got the flap to open.

Going forwards, I will grease with Vaseline when I can, to make the mechanism operate a little more smoothly, like it used to.

Thanks again, all. Problem solved (easily and without cost: the best way).
Volta.

Take it over to the Service Center and have them tweak it. I had this same experience two days after I got the car. At night, in the rain, at the the Cheyenne SC on my first road trip. Called the nice people at the Tesla help line, they said you could encourage it to open by pushing on the back of the door while clicking on the open-sesame button on the charger. That finally worked, but I had it in at the Service Center for adjustment the second I got back. It's been fine since.

Take it over to the Service Center and have them tweak it. I had this same experience two days after I got the car. At night, in the rain, at the the Cheyenne SC on my first road trip. Called the nice people at the Tesla help line, they said you could encourage it to open by pushing on the back of the door while clicking on the open-sesame button on the charger. That finally worked, but I had it in at the Service Center for adjustment the second I got back. It's been fine since.

Not on your Roadster you didn't. :)

Use some compressed air and a blow gun to remove any dirt from the sliding pin (car side), and then apply some graphite lock lube. Make sure the pin moves in and out smoothly. Grease and vaseline will just attract more dirt. You can use it on the door latch arm if you want, but keep it off of the pin.