Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster charging vs. Single / Dual / Supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

Maybe I'm late with this question, but how does the Roadster charging system compare to the Model S?

I've got the H.C. Sharp "CAN SR" adaptor, so I've been trying to learn the differences between the various Model S chargers out there. Looks like the Model S Single Charging system allows up to 40 A, which is the highest that the Roadster can use with mobile NEMA adapters. Then, the Model S Dual Charging system handles from 40 A to 80 A, but that range is only slightly more than (+14%) the Roadster's 70 A charging capacity when using the HPC with a 90 A breaker. I assume that Supercharging is DC only, and thus not available on the Roadster for comparison.

Another way to look at this is how Tesla Motors says the single charger operates an 29 miles of range per hour of charging, while the dual charger operates at 58 miles of range per hour of charging. My question stems from the fact that I've always been able to get about 60 miles of range per hour of charging when using the HPC on the road, so it seems like the Dual Charging upgrade for the Model S really only brings it up to par with the Roadster. I seem to recall that only a few Model S cars were actually made with only a single charger, so perhaps the distinction is mostly moot.

Has this been discussed anywhere? I'm particularly focused on the comparison between Roadster and Model S, not so much looking at it from a Model S owner's perspective (since I don't have a Model S).

Brian

EU

16.8kW vs. 11kW VS 22kW

And roadster only charge singel phase

I had without anny thats chage my 16.8 kw chager to a 11 kW model S chager than its much easyer to get 11 kw 3-phase than singel phase 32A and 70A thats inposible more or less
The fastes i have charge is 60A 230V and on that charger had all 3 phases but i only used one and get 13.8 kW