Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Charging with 3 Phases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I haven't seen something like that on the int. forum... here's a link to a guy in Austria who right now developed a prototype for 3 phase charging of the Roadster (less than 20 kg and no big transformer....)

EV-Lade Technologie – EVAB

if those guys can offer a reasonable price (there's the talk of approx. € 2.000,-- if not only a few devices will be built) it seems of interest.. not only cause of faster charging but also at home for better load balance on the 3 phases....

I will post the link of this thread to this guy, so he will be aware of it ;)

Reactions: Mark77a
Since I haven't seen something like that on the int. forum... here's a link to a guy in Austria who right now developed a prototype for 3 phase charging of the Roadster (less than 20 kg and no big transformer....)

EV-Lade Technologie – EVAB

if those guys can offer a reasonable price (there's the talk of approx. € 2.000,-- if not only a few devices will be built) it seems of interest.. not only cause of faster charging but also at home for better load balance on the 3 phases....

I will post the link of this thread to this guy, so he will be aware of it ;)
Finally somebody has done this! At 2,000 EUR they will sell a lot of these to Roadster owners. And to add to Mark's comment, it's not only better than 32A, you can get 42A from the 16A charging stations. They need to shape the control box to fit inside the rectangle in the bottom of the Roadster boot.

If you live in the california area or not near San Marcos you can have a QC ability added for about 4k. I just had mine put in the shop for install. You can use any of the CHAdeMo DC chargers specs below:

- JdeMO adds about 2.5 miles (4 km) per minute while charging between 20% and 80% battery State Of Charge (SOC%).

- A normal 30 to 45 minute charge session will add 75 miles (120 km) to 110 miles (180 km) of range.

- It will charge at approximately 300-400 volts DC at up to 125 amps, or about 40-50kW. That means that it can charge from 20% to 80% of the battery usable capacity in approximately 45-55 minutes. The Roadster battery has a capacity of about 53kWh when new (no degradation). The upgraded "v3" battery from Tesla is 70-80kWh and will require over an hour to fully charge.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak