Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely, I was just pointing this out as someone up above calculated a charging time assuming 80 amps, and they should have used 70, even for the 80 amp charger.
I was saying you can connect to an HPWC with up to 80a available, but Roadster will only draw 70. As I mentioned, the onboard Roadster charger is 16.8kw, so even if an HPWC can supply 19.2kw, Roadster will only draw 16.8. My calculation of 3.2 hours comes from a 16.8kw draw (53/16.8= 3.155 hours)

I was saying you can connect to an HPWC with up to 80a available, but Roadster will only draw 70. As I mentioned, the onboard Roadster charger is 16.8kw, so even if an HPWC can supply 19.2kw, Roadster will only draw 16.8. My calculation of 3.2 hours comes from a 16.8kw draw (53/16.8= 3.155 hours)
Gotcha!

That is my mistake then. When you referenced a charger at up to 80 amps, I assumed the time calculation was for 80a. My apologies! :)

Don't forget that the voltage provided by the charging station may be 208v, vs the best case 240v. Most commercial power is at 208v, nominal. I've charged with the CAN-SR at several Tesla Service Centers on their 80 amp ports, and got 70 amps at only 203v out of it. 14.2kw...

Unless you need to do a lot of miles in a short time period then its rare you need to charge at high rates and its rare you will charge from empty to full.

>90% of my charging over the last 80K miles has been at 16A or 24A (220V in UK). I can charge faster but the lower rates give you a few extra miles and put less stress on the battery (so longer battery life).

For me I arrive at work then by charging at 16A the car just has time to finish charging and balancing before I drive home. The battery has a bit of warmth so can deliver max power and does not have to spend much time at full charge (normal not range mode). I dont often charge at home so overnight the battery sits part discharged rather than full so again best for the battery.

Probably only makes a small difference but the more we can do to look after the batteries whilst enjoying the cars too the full the better.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a