Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster classified SS for SCCA Solo Autocrossing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the July issue of FasTrack just published, the Tesla Roadster (all models) has been categorized as Super Stock (SS).

Oh man, is this going to be interesting. Here's its competition in that class listed below. And remember, Solo (Autocross) events are designed as low speed events, which means the track should be designed so no car should be able to exceed 70 mph.

BMW M3 (‘08+)
BMW Z4 M Coupe & Roadster (‘06+)

Chevrolet Corvette C5 (all)
Chevrolet Corvette C6 (all non ZR-1)

Dodge Viper R/T, GTS
Dodge Viper SRT-10

Lexus IS-F

Lotus Elise N/A (‘05+) (see App. F)
Lotus Esprit Turbo
Lotus Exige N/A (‘06+)

Mazda RX-7 Turbo (’93+)

Mercedes C63 AMG

Porsche 911 (996 chassis) (‘98+)
Porsche 911 (997 chassis)
Porsche 911 Turbo, 930 (2WD)
Porsche 911 GT3 (996)
Porsche Boxster S (‘05+)
Porsche Cayman S (‘06+)

Last edited:
Tesla also legal in STS

While the Tesla being classed in SS is interesting, its somewhat narrow wheels and tires, and lack of limited slip, will hamstring it in autocross against the purbred race-type cars like the Porsche GT3.

Where things get really interesting is in the Street Touring S (STS) class. STS was designed for small 2-seaters under 1.9 liters of displacement, which the Tesla sure is! In fact, I bet the Tesla's 0-60 is twice as quick as any other STS car. :)

Unlike SS, in STS, the car would have to run street tires, something like the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 or AD08 is a popular choice. STS also gives the freedom to change the shocks, springs, and swaybars, and put on aftermarket wheels up to 7.5" in width, which will do a TON to help the car's handling.

I think the car could really clean up in STS in Nebraska this September. If anybody is maybe interested in running their Tesla there with me, please feel free to contact me through this board or via email. The Street Touring cars I've built have won 3 National Championships, and dozens of National Tour and ProSolo wins. I think them letting the Tesla into STS was a big oversight, which presents the opportunity for somebody with one to roll in with a huge Unfair Advantage. An SCCA National Championship would be a tremendous boon not just for the car owner, but for the Tesla brand and EVs in general.

Thanks,
Jason Rhoades
[email protected]

Hi Dave,
Unfortunately only the 2008 and 2009 models are legal for competition this year. It's tough for them to class cars not generally available yet, not enough data.

In the case of ST though, it would be legal to "flash" the engine controller with any updated firmware that might be in use on a sports-package or newer-model car. In Stock, you'd have to run it as-is.

Hi Dave,
Unfortunately only the 2008 and 2009 models are legal for competition this year. It's tough for them to class cars not generally available yet, not enough data.

There is no 2009 model. Tesla decided, almost at the last minute, to skip the 2009 model year and go right to the 2010 model year. The cars aren't any different than what we would have gotten had they stuck with calling them 2009 cars. So it's just a semantic issue.

Unfortunately, that means my 2010 Roadster Sport (that was supposed to be called a 2009 when I paid for it) that I will take delivery on in a few weeks, is not eligible for SCCA this year.

So much for possibly saying yes to your offer.

I'm curious, though ... what do they do when I show up for an autocross this year? Am I allowed to run in SS or STS?

Hi Dave,
The way to get clarification on this sort of stuff is to write in to the SEB - their email address is [email protected]. I actually wrote a letter yesterday asking if the Tesla would be legal for STS. Under the rules as I see it, it would be, but that may be partially because categories outside of Stock weren't really prepared for the whole electric car thing.

Do some people have their cars already? If you can show they've been generally available for a while, you may be able to make a case that your car is effectively a 2009 despite it being labeled as a 2010. Maybe there's some date-of-manufacture stuff you could show too. I would include anything like that supporting your position the car is really a 2009 model, when you write your letter.

Good luck man, would be neat to see this thing at Nationals.

Jason

I doubt they will allow it in the ST classes as most other SS cars are ineligible for ST classes anyway they go straight to *SP with any mods not allowed in stock class. Obviously the classification based on engine size is pointless I would imagine they would class it based on output and weight.