Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Conversion to J1772 Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I have the cable waiting and I'm counting down the days! Thing is, I'd like to convert it to J1772 and plug it into the ActiveE or Tesla. J1772 everywhere. Hurrah for the Utopia of standards!

Convert the charger? CC will sell you a J1772 cable, you just need to sign a waiver.

Maybe collect some of those abandoned ones, I could put them to use...

TEG you forgot the picture i took of Elon on the freeway in a white car.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1152&d=1291319754.jpg

Last edited:
I emailed my Tesla rep asking about the J1772-Tesla adapter. This was the response.

"We’re very close to launching the adapter, just a few weeks out at this point. There will also be a corresponding firmware update that allows you to utilize the full range of new connectors out there. "

Which fits with what I heard regarding the interface with Coulomb. I'm still betting on by end of next week.

TEG you forgot the picture i took of ... a white car.

I didn't forget. Bonnie1194 mentioned WHITE and black, and I added a couple others reported to be his too.

By the way, your picture was in So-cal, and she mentioned Palo Alto. I wonder if it moved up north.

(Moderators might want to move related postings to a "how many Roadsters does he have" thread, since we went off topic in here.)

I emailed my Tesla rep asking about the J1772-Tesla adapter. This was the response.

"We’re very close to launching the adapter, just a few weeks out at this point. There will also be a corresponding firmware update that allows you to utilize the full range of new connectors out there. "

This is what they have been telling us since last September: next month, always next month.

I'd like to know what the Coulomb compatability issue is. I've charged from several Coulomb stations in our 2008 Roadster with our homebrew adapter and our inlet conversion and have never had a problem. They must have broken something with the 2010's.

The proximity signal is for the car, not the EVSE. It's not even really a signal, it's just a resister to ground with a switch in the handle. When the user lifts the latch on the J1772 handle, the switch is opened telling the car that unplugging is imminent and it should stop drawing current right now.

The EV only has to do two things for the EVSE: put a diode plus either of two resister values between ground and the pilot pin (one to ask for the current limit waveform and one to turn on the power), and then honor the current limit sent by the EVSE. My only guess would be that they aren't honoring the current limit when it's not one of the standard Tesla HPC values.

I'd like to know what the Coulomb compatability issue is. I've charged from several Coulomb stations in our 2008 Roadster with our homebrew adapter and our inlet conversion and have never had a problem. They must have broken something with the 2010's.

I think the charging works - if I understood things correctly (based on conversation with someone not actually in the weeds on this), it had to do with the interface to Coulomb's system that shows what chargers are available and what ones are not. That would fit with someone else being told there would be a firmware update to go with this.

I think the charging works - if I understood things correctly (based on conversation with someone not actually in the weeds on this), it had to do with the interface to Coulomb's system that shows what chargers are available and what ones are not. That would fit with someone else being told there would be a firmware update to go with this.

I don't see how that's possible. If charging is working, then the car is doing what's required to ask the EVSE for power. There's no other signal or communication. If the EVSE is sending power, then it knows it's in use. There's no way for the EVSE to know if it's connected to a LEAF, a Volt, a Tesla, or a box that just has the resister and diode to send the power to a NEMA 14-50.

I've had lots of problems with Colomb's. GFCI's almost always trigger for me. I've been using a J1772 to 14-50 adaptor from currentevtech.com and the UMC. But even the 120 volt cable often GFCI's for me. Maybe my car has some problem, but I only have these problems with the columb's not the UMC nor the HPC's which have been converted to J1772 nor home style GFCI'ed 120 volt outlets. I've had a couple firmware updates to my car in the middle of all this already. I've also had problems with Columb's which fail to release their J1772 plug. They're currently high on my "piece of sh*t" list.

This is good to know for those of us that are considering installing charging stations at our places of business. Clipper Creek is producing units that provide increased Amps, up to 75 for level II J1772. Point of sale units are due out soon.

I don't see how that's possible. If charging is working, then the car is doing what's required to ask the EVSE for power. There's no other signal or communication. If the EVSE is sending power, then it knows it's in use. There's no way for the EVSE to know if it's connected to a LEAF, a Volt, a Tesla, or a box that just has the resister and diode to send the power to a NEMA 14-50.

Consider the possibility that the vehicle could send "I am charging at GPS location X" data through GPRS back to manufacturer home base which could then upload it to the Coulomb database...

Tesla's J1772 Adapter Announced

Tesla's adapter is finally announced. It's what we expected from the Bellevue demo last month: 70A capable, it leaves the J1772 plug on the resting on the ground, and ignores the proximity signal. The cost is $750.

I suppose now I need to get busy on a conversion plan for owners who want another choice. I'm actually making some progress, but I'm not going to make any promises I can't keep.

And 1.5 Roadsters need to get firmware updated to have this adapter work with AeroVironment EVSEs (as installed at Nissan dealers), but the availability of that firmware update is as yet not announced AFAIK ... may be just a couple of weeks out.

...it leaves the J1772 plug on the resting on the ground, and ignores the proximity signal. The cost is $750.
:confused:

I know this is what was expected but I still think it's a very bad idea. And $750!!!! That's the price of a (30A) J1772 EVSE! This looks like a home made adapter not something offered by a reputable manufacturer. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Yes people will buy it since there is no other option. The only hope now is that someone smarter than Tesla can come up with a REAL solution (you go Tom!).

How embarrassing for Tesla if Tom is able to come up with a relatively simple and economical ($750 or less) upgrade to J1772 for the Roadster. It sorta makes me wonder... if they can't figure out how to upgrade the Roadster to J1772, how the heck can they build the Model S from the ground-up???

How embarrassing for Tesla if Tom is able to come up with a relatively simple and economical ($750 or less) upgrade to J1772 for the Roadster.

It's not the engineering, though the people don't work cheap and are probably kinda busy right now. It's the recertification processes(s). The Roadster production run is limited. It's just not cost effective. The adapter is much cheaper.