Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster dash cam - suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone is interested, here is a short sample video from the BlackVue DR600GW-HD dash camera. It's a bit boring, but you get a sense of what the camera can do, and this is at night under the city lights. Keep in mind, it was recorded at 1080P, but the Vimeo website adjusted it down to 720P for easier viewing.

I also didn't know it was recording audio. You can hear the music I was playing through the stereo, but nothing else embarrassing occurred :smile:. I think I'm going to turn off that audio option in the future though. I can post a video of daytime driving in case anyone is interested.

BlackVue DR600GW-HD Sample Video in 2010 Tesla Roadster on Vimeo

Did you get the PowerMagic unit to go with that? I'm not sure our cars would benefit much. It'd be great if it were a rechargeable battery that could supply power in parking mode, but it doesn't seem like that's what it does.

Do you think there is any benefit to getting the dual camera system? Would there be much to see out of the rear camera?

Did you get the PowerMagic unit to go with that? I'm not sure our cars would benefit much. It'd be great if it were a rechargeable battery that could supply power in parking mode, but it doesn't seem like that's what it does.

Do you think there is any benefit to getting the dual camera system? Would there be much to see out of the rear camera?

You would record other drivers taking pictures of your Roadster as they are driving behind you. And of course those that you leave behind :)

I got a Mobius action cam with capacitor for dashcam use, and mounted it to my front window with a modified helmet mount:
mp4898jugZmUvHU52BAWUiQ.jpg

And then it looks like this:
IMG_20141222_092207.jpg

it fits "invisible" behind my mirror (please excuse my crappy picture)

IMG_20141222_092213 (1).jpg

I will upload some example video's soon, still thinking about getting a second camera to put behind my headrest to film stuff going on behind me.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the BlackVue DR-600GW-HD installation. No, I don't have the PowerMagic unit. I didn't want to mess with potentially killing the accessory battery. And for the record, I wasn't driving that late in the posted vid. I just hadn't synced the timestamp yet. Also, I was listening to Maroon 5, not NKOTB :)

02540F66-BC1C-46A7-B1C5-8CBAEE44D18C.jpg

D179561A-CC30-464C-9728-C8981ABED952.jpg

9E89CAB0-F40F-47AE-8359-D412D90A4F5A.jpg

EA73CAE5-CE2B-4271-B1E8-9963C1006D0E.jpg

We'll take your word on the maroon 5 thing:wink: your Blackvue install looks just like mine...it is a great unit imo...!

Jaff, did you run the power to the 12V accessory outlet or hard wire to the fuse box? I did the former, but am thinking of doing the latter.

I briefly thought about a rear camera, but if I mounted to the rear window, I think half the picture would be of the trunk and spoiler. I lack the skills to mount it near the rear diffuser and I'm not sure if these cameras are meant to be on the exterior anyway. I certainly wouldn't mind a rear camera that records all the time. Maybe when I upgrade my GoPro, I'll play with what will become my old one and see how well it works as a rear camera.

One more interesting note - when I had my Roadster in for service last week for TPMS sensor replacement, the valet unplugged the dash camera! Found it unplugged when I got the car back and I reviewed the footage out of curiosity. That camera was unplugged shortly after that valet got in the car.

Can it record when the car is parked and off in case someone backs into you when parked and not in the car?

It can, but you have to get an additional module that will keep the camera powered from the 12V battery while in park. I didn't want to chance killing my accessory battery so I'm okay without that feature.

I am, however, glad to have this thing. Today, I got some video of this woman in my neighborhood who blew a stop sign and could have T-boned me had I not honked my horn. She proceeded to give me the finger. Classy lady.

Here's the video. It's only 5 seconds and doesn't look as bad as it really was, but you can still get a good idea of what happened. The stop sign was about 1/2 car length behind the back of her car. Thought you were supposed to stop a few feet before a stop sign, not abruptly 10 feet in front of it.

1-28-2015 Blown Stop Sign on Vimeo

Here are some pics of the BlackVue DR-600GW-HD installation. No, I don't have the PowerMagic unit. I didn't want to mess with potentially killing the accessory battery. And for the record, I wasn't driving that late in the posted vid. I just hadn't synced the timestamp yet. Also, I was listening to Maroon 5, not NKOTB :)

02540F66-BC1C-46A7-B1C5-8CBAEE44D18C.jpg

D179561A-CC30-464C-9728-C8981ABED952.jpg

9E89CAB0-F40F-47AE-8359-D412D90A4F5A.jpg

EA73CAE5-CE2B-4271-B1E8-9963C1006D0E.jpg

I purchased the Blackvue camera for both cars. My wife was in an accident in our Model S because someone ran a red light. The lady changed her story after the police arrived. Fortunately, she got a conscience when she called her insurance the next day. I'd like to not leave it to chance in the future.

How difficult is it to get the wire to the to the roofline to the fuse box. I'd like to perform the installation myself.

I purchased the Blackvue camera for both cars. My wife was in an accident in our Model S because someone ran a red light. The lady changed her story after the police arrived. Fortunately, she got a conscience when she called her insurance the next day. I'd like to not leave it to chance in the future.

How difficult is it to get the wire to the to the roofline to the fuse box. I'd like to perform the installation myself.

Yikes. Sorry to hear about your Model S accident. Hope your wife was okay.

It's not that hard to wire it to the fuse box. If you can splice wires, it's pretty straightforward. I actually just changed the wiring from the 12V accessory to the fuse box recently.

I found running the wire along the windshield to be the most challenging. The sun visors just get in the way and I was at some very awkward angles trying to tuck that wire into the mounting clips. I think I was lying with my back in the passenger side footwell for a while.

Yikes. Sorry to hear about your Model S accident. Hope your wife was okay.

It's not that hard to wire it to the fuse box. If you can splice wires, it's pretty straightforward. I actually just changed the wiring from the 12V accessory to the fuse box recently.

I found running the wire along the windshield to be the most challenging. The sun visors just get in the way and I was at some very awkward angles trying to tuck that wire into the mounting clips. I think I was lying with my back in the passenger side footwell for a while.

My wife and daughter were fine. Turned out to be less than 10 MPH when she collided with the SUV. Punctured bumper and $3,600 to repair due to Sig color and clear bra that was installed. About 5 days to repair.

I will examine the window area to see if I can get the wire ran to the fuse box. No problem with splicing, but I don't want the wire to show.

Thanks for your input.

---Kent

I just upgraded to the BlackVue DR 650S-2CH in the Roadster:

Amazon.com : BlackVue New DR650S-2CH 16GB, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder, Built-in Wi-Fi, Cloud, Full HD, G Sensor, GPS, 16GB SD Card Included, upto 128GB support : Car Electronics

I like having both front and rearview cameras just in case. Running the wire to the rear is pretty simple. You just need a spudger and some wire clips.

I'll post some pics and video later.

If anyone wants my single channel BlackVue DR-600GW-HD I'll let it go for very reasonable price.