Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Efficiency and Range Excel File

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I am working on a project for school and we are modeling the Roadster to see if a compact CVT could improve overall vehicle efficiency and performance by keeping the motor at the most efficient RPM. The drawback is that a CVT has a mechanical efficiency penalty also. On the Tesla blog, JB posted an efficiency excel file with efficiency and range graphs. I tried to use the wayback machine to get the file, but no luck.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/roadster-efficiency-and-range

Does anyone still have a copy of the efficiency excel file they could send me?

Dan

Wow, great resource.

It looks like the Roadster's "Ideal" 248 mile range is based on about a 53 mi/hr speed, dropping to 200 at 65. My current battery only gets to 212 miles on a Range charge, so if the ratio holds, should I only expect a 170 mile range at freeway speeds? (248/200 * 212 = 170) Seems I did better than that when I drove 141 mostly freeway miles to the Fremont factory, arriving with about 70 miles of Ideal range left. Where did the extra 40 miles come from?

I ask because I'm planning a trip about 20 miles farther, and that will be cutting it close if the math holds.

When you switch to Range mode, more range magically appears. The car hides about 10% at the bottom end when it's in Standard or Performance mode.
Understood, but perhaps I missed something in the graphs... Are they in Standard mode, or Range mode? I assumed Range mode (seems to fit the 248 mile EPA range best). Is the difference a mismatch between EPA and Ideal? I also have assumed Ideal was based on EPA, i.e. a brand new car would Range charge to about 248 miles. No?

Wow, great resource.

It looks like the Roadster's "Ideal" 248 mile range is based on about a 53 mi/hr speed, dropping to 200 at 65. My current battery only gets to 212 miles on a Range charge, so if the ratio holds, should I only expect a 170 mile range at freeway speeds? (248/200 * 212 = 170) Seems I did better than that when I drove 141 mostly freeway miles to the Fremont factory, arriving with about 70 miles of Ideal range left. Where did the extra 40 miles come from?

I ask because I'm planning a trip about 20 miles farther, and that will be cutting it close if the math holds.
When I make a drive that stretches my range, I set the dash to show estimated miles and reset the trip screen on the VDS. I also set my GPS (or phone) to track the route. That way I can see, especially as I'm getting close to half way, if I have enough estimated miles to make it to my destination without stopping to charge.

Ideal range is based on, if I remember correctly, 230wh per mile. The trip screen also tracks wh/mile, so you can aim for that target.

You mentioned "freeway speeds," but those can vary greatly across the country. I live off a road with an 80 or 85 mph speed limit. The long drives I make are mostly 75mph speed limits. But I have to keep the car right around 62mph to make the 204 mile trip with enough buffer to keep me calm.

Elevation will play a huge role in your ability to make the drive. But even more so, crosswinds seem to affect range. So, always have a plan, keep and eye on progress, know your point-of-no-return, and be prepared to stop and charge if necessary.