Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my experience its worth the gamble, I think it is quite possible (perhaps likely in my experience) that an air cooled PEM fails in 3 years....not fun to pay 12k+ bill when this is an option. Plus you get a full bumper to bumper warranty. Say a PEM fan fails or Tesla decides to change something that only vehicles in warranty are eligible for...You are SOL if your car is out of warranty. I would just re-up every year for 3k every 12k miles/year...too bad they do not include maintenance in this extended warranty scheme..
I don't think there have been a lot of PEM failures. If a replacement costs $12K (your figure) and the warranty costs $4K for 3 years without battery coverage, you are assuming one PEM failure for every 3 cars between years 3 and 6 as a break-even. That seems like a bad bet to me. And I doubt the extended warranty will be renewable. Or if it is, the price will go up as the car gets older.

Remember though that it's not just a PEM covered for the $4,000 cost...it's everything other than the battery (rest of vehicle)...frequency of loss can enter into the picture even if it's not a big ticket item like a PEM that's failed...

But I do agree, given limited resources, I think the odds would favour the battery warranty being a better buy.

I don't think there have been a lot of PEM failures. If a replacement costs $12K (your figure) and the warranty costs $4K for 3 years without battery coverage, you are assuming one PEM failure for every 3 cars between years 3 and 6 as a break-even. That seems like a bad bet to me. And I doubt the extended warranty will be renewable. Or if it is, the price will go up as the car gets older.

Remember though that it's not just a PEM covered for the $4,000 cost...it's everything other than the battery (rest of vehicle)...frequency of loss can enter into the picture even if it's not a big ticket item like a PEM that's failed...

But I do agree, given limited resources, I think the odds would favour the battery warranty being a better buy.

I would consider the battery warranty to be an insurance policy - a low probability of an expensive repair. You're probably never going to use it, but if you do it'll be worth it. (That's your business Jaff... on that basis would you recommend it for the price?)

For the rest of the car, I think it's probably inevitable that you would use the service plan to some degree. I've had a bunch of little things repaired that would probably add up over time. (It's been mostly Lotus stuff that's needed fixing.)

Tesla seems to be improving roadster components etc fairly frequently...If the warranty were to expire it would also be unlikely that you would get these "improvements."

True.

But that's $7,500. I have a lot of confidence in the battery pack. Especially given that I don't do road trips in it, almost never go below 50%, and always charge in Standard mode.

Tesla seems to be improving roadster components etc fairly frequently...If the warranty were to expire it would also be unlikely that you would get these "improvements."
That's a good point. Yet, if you're paying $600 for the annual service, they might keep giving you the improvements. It's a good question to ask.

The only issues I've ever had with the battery have been knock-on effects of upstream issues. Blown fuses.

But, as the car ages, sheets will go bad. Despite being 1/11th the cost of the whole battery, getting them in and out means a lot of labour cost.

The cost of the battery warranty makes the battery replacement program look like a pretty good deal.
Only if something goes wrong with the battery. I expect that to be a very rare event. It's true however, that $12,000 for a battery replacement in 7 years regardless of battery condition or function, is a much better deal that $7,500 for a warranty that repairs defects that occur between years 3 and 6. The difference is that the former had to be purchased very soon after getting the car, before you had time to assess all the information, while the latter will be available, in some cases, 3 or 4 years after buying the car.

Surely different things? If a sheet went bad after 5 years, would the battery replacement agreement cover it? I don't think so. Just a new battery after 7 years, surely?

Of course they are different things but there is some overlap. Yes if a sheet went bad after 5 yrs you could replace it under the agreement but you would have to pay $2000 extra to exercise your replacement option 2 yrs early. It still looks like a good deal to me compared to the extended battery warranty.

Only if something goes wrong with the battery. I expect that to be a very rare event. It's true however, that $12,000 for a battery replacement in 7 years regardless of battery condition or function, is a much better deal that $7,500 for a warranty that repairs defects that occur between years 3 and 6. The difference is that the former had to be purchased very soon after getting the car, before you had time to assess all the information, while the latter will be available, in some cases, 3 or 4 years after buying the car.

Yes that's one difference. The biggest difference is that one is a warranty, the other is a replacement plan. Buy the warranty and you will still have to replace your battery a couple years later. The reason I ultimately decided to purchase the battery replacement program was when an experienced tech told me it takes a full day to swap a battery out of a car if he gets help periodically throughout the day. Regardless of cell costs 6 - 9 yrs from now, the labor to replace your battery will be a major part of the cost.

The reason I ultimately decided to purchase the battery replacement program was when an experienced tech told me it takes a full day to swap a battery out of a car if he gets help periodically throughout the day. Regardless of cell costs 6 - 9 yrs from now, the labor to replace your battery will be a major part of the cost.
I decided against the replacement plan because I'm betting that nothing goes wrong with my battery pack, and that in a decade I'll still have plenty of range for my needs, and I'll probably want another car by then, which will likely have features we have not thought of yet, possibly making the car far safer.

I decided against the replacement plan because I'm betting that nothing goes wrong with my battery pack, and that in a decade I'll still have plenty of range for my needs, and I'll probably want another car by then, which will likely have features we have not thought of yet, possibly making the car far safer.

This is my thinking as well... only I think as an American convertible with a very low production run, I'm betting the car will quickly become a classic and appreciate (ha! that only happens to OTHER people's cars!!) Seriously, I think I am willing to take the bet at this time, but I am very interested to know how many PEM's motors, gearbox's, A/C's etc everyone has had to replace in the last 4-5 years.

Most of the Roadster owners I know have had some work on the battery pack...

Our 1.5 (delivered March 2009) just had its battery swapped out by Tesla service under warranty. One of the sheets was failing some sort of "bleed" test and tripped the "fault" light in the instrument cluster and issued a "Battery Service Required" warning message on the flexible display. After a test log dump, it was determined that the problem was beyond a Ranger visit and Tesla sent Plycar to pick it up.

The swap battery pack is guaranteed to be in as good or better condition than the pack removed from the car. I expect this means the condition of the non-problem other sheets as in % degradation from new.