Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Female > J1772 Male Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey @AEdennis, I'm actually looking for something a bit more exotic (but I also would love to eventually get both a CAN-JR and CAN-SR so if anyone has a used set or individual one for sale, lmk!). I basically need the proprietary Amphenol female inlet connector shown here on the right side of the photo connected to an SAE J1772 "gas nozzle".

So, I think you're looking for the reverse of what Dennis is suggesting. Your EVSE's charging cable ends with a Roadster connector, and you want to go from that to a J1772 port on the Leaf. Is that correct? If so, I am not aware of such an adapter.

However, if you do convert the TC-70 to J1772, then you would use the CAN-JR to connect to the Roadster. It would be a bit of a hassle, as you note, but that's the only way I know of to handle both cars from the same EVSE.

EDIT: Our posts crossed in the mail... So, basically you want to create a "CAN-RJ" for the Leaf. You might have to get the inlet connector part from Tesla, or find out from them where that connector can be found. Or if there's a wrecked Roadster being parted out, you might be able to get it from there? (Not aware of any, before you ask...)

Do, however, invest in @hcsharp's CAN-JR and SR adapters. I never go out without them, and have used both (though the JR tends to get a lot more use around here than the SR).

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
So, basically you want to create a "CAN-RJ" for the Leaf.
^Exactly this, @gregd!

I was *barely* able to see it but found a part number printed on the collar... 10-665036-10P (see attached). Web searches turned up nada... surprise (not)!

@tomsax, do you happen to have your old inlet from when you swapped it out on your J1772 inlet conversion project?

@TonyWilliams, thx for the email reply and J-Plug estimates. Chance are I may indeed need to relent here if I can't find this elusive thing.
IMG_6855.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6855.JPG
    IMG_6855.JPG
    489.8 KB · Views: 58
Swap the charger head for J1772 connector and use a Can-JR. I can't imagine you'd be able to find a Roadster inlet for any sort of comparable price.

You basically need a length of 70A wire, a Roadster inlet, and a J1772 head that supports 70A. So, skip the wire and the inlet. There's very little chance you'd find the parts and even then you'd be working with an untested solution. Swap the head and use the can. Cheaper and easier.

Or... I'll just get a separate, dedicated EVSE with a J1772 for the LEAF. I'm totally onboard with using the CAN for destination charging but, at home, I'm too fond of the aerospace grade mating connections to alter the TS-70 :rolleyes:
Besides... it's great to just plug in the EVSE without taking the extra step to attach an adapter to charge... especially at home.

Since you're into building stuff, the OpenEVSE kit is (work in progress) going together pretty well. Under $500 including the cables, and can charge at up to 40 amps, which should more than cover the Leaf. So, taking a step back and looking at the situation, I think you are right that a separate EVSE is probably the best answer.

Reactions: DeedWest
I agree with your reluctance to use an adapter on a daily basis at home. And it's true the native Roadster contacts are more robust than the skinnier J1772 pins and sleeves. But won't you have to use an adapter anyway when you charge your Leaf from the TS-70? If that's the case then you're probably better off following the common advice here of replacing your TS-70 cable with the J1772 kit from Clipper Creek and then using a CAN JR. The CAN JR would also be useful in more than just your own garage,

A few years ago I made a one-off version of the adapter you're looking for. My charger is popular on Plugshare and one day I noticed it was gone.

Reactions: dhrivnak
A few years ago I made a one-off version of the adapter you're looking for. My charger is popular on Plugshare and one day I noticed it was gone.
@hcsharp, gotta love Plugshare people abusing the privilege and taking "share" to a whole new level.

I sent out a number of PMs to folks who mentioned they had the elusive HPC > MS/X connector in various old posts so thx to any of you for your leads. What I'm attempting isn't a new request by any stretch as even @TonyWilliams was looking into this a few years ago. Doesn't mean I'll succeed but, hey, gotta have a hobby, right?

Adding the video below (as well as some screen grabs) from an older WTB post here as reference since it clearly shows P/Ns for the adapter assembly. Here are my guesses on what everything represents:

Complete Assembly: 1016129-00-A
Elbow + Cable(?): 1016130
Roadster Inlet Adapter(?): TSL01
Model S Outlet Adapter(?): TSL02

I know, I know, this is getting to a point of becoming my white whale now but I guess that's part of the (masochistic) fun of owning a "old" Roadster in this evolving EV world.

Screen-Shot-2017-04-01-at-8.48.48-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2017-04-01-at-8.49.24-AM.jpg

@hcsharp, gotta love Plugshare people abusing the privilege and taking "share" to a whole new level.

I sent out a number of PMs to folks who mentioned they had the elusive HPC > MS/X connector in various old posts so thx to any of you for your leads. What I'm attempting isn't a new request by any stretch as even @TonyWilliams was looking into this a few years ago. Doesn't mean I'll succeed but, hey, gotta have a hobby, right?
Tony did get a Roadster to Model S cable and put a J1772 on it for his RAV4 EV. You can see the result in the Orland, CA Plugshare photos.

11776.jpg