TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster Fires?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, Nov 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Does anyone know if, or how many Roadster fires there have been? If any have burned, what about the cause of the fire?

2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

There was one fire that happened because of the 12V battery cable (since recalled), but I think that was it.

3. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Supporting Member

I heard of one smoking 12 volt battery when they were still using Chinese batterys in a 2.X.....
    That's part of why they have all been replaced................... at yearly service visits.....................under warranty.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No, that's not correct. The smoking was due to the battery wires rubbing on the edge of a carbon fiber part, which cut through the insulation resulting in a short. Tesla installed abrasion protection for those wires in all Roadsters after that incident.

The batteries are replaced periodically because they have a limited lifetime. That type of battery lasts a couple of years in most applications, in my experience.

Incidentally that one incident resulted only in smoke, not in a fire. The vehicle was not significantly damaged.

5. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Supporting Member

I stand corrected ............ thanks for the input.

6. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Thanks guys!