TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster founder's series #27

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by n2mb_racing, Apr 13, 2015.

1. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

2008 (or 9?) Roadster #278

The asking price on that Roadster is about $10K under market. Either the car has significant problems that are not described in the ad or it is a scam. Be careful.

3. nsxpert

nsxpert Member

Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying a founder's series Roadster.
    Does anyone know if the early #'s are known to be more or less reliable than one of the 'normal' production versions?

I just keep remembering the early horror stories about reliability.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Is it dark blue by any chance?

I think the early ones were built more by hand, with some "learn as you go" type redesigns, so the later cars were more consistent.
    You could get lucky and get one with no problems, but you take a bigger risk with the very early cars.

5. nsxpert

nsxpert Member

Yes, it's the dark blue one!

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen the car, it's not a scam. There is lots of cosmetic wear and tear which seems to be why it's priced so low.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I don't see much "wear and tear" in the photos but photos often don't show stuff that is easily visible in person. If the car only has 27.5K miles on it would be odd to have it show a lot of signs of use.
    The price of $49.5K for a 1.5 with that mileage seems about $10K under market to me. Maybe it's a bargain, maybe it's a fair price, impossible to know for sure without seeing and driving the car and verifying the maintenance and repair history. Caveat emptor...

7. nsxpert

nsxpert Member

Correct. In person the paint was kind of abused for only having 22,000 miles. Lots of swirl marks and three of the body panels had a gouge or some kind of scratch in the paint.
    Looks like it was driven as the guy's beater DD for a while!

8. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

It looks virtually like my #255. It appears someone will get a bargain. It has been driven so there is likely some paint wear. It is hard to keep a car perfect if you drive it. I would not be worried about issues as it is very likely any issues were found in 25,000 miles and have been addressed.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If you're looking to drive a Roadster in a more relaxed fashion (rather than babying it a little too much...), this might be a great way to do that at a good price. If I didn't have too many cars already, it would be tempting. ;)

10. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

FWIW, I've not had much to worry about in 3+ years with a Founders' Series car. One switchpack replaced (this is not the battery pack), which could have been for any 1.5.

That said, the price is a little worrying, even if the outside is chewed up a bit. How many ideal miles on a full standard charge or range charge? CARFAX look ok?:confused:

If so, you could be in for a good bargain - no need to baby it initially, and can go for the 3.0 and repaint later if you want...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and figure in that you are likely going without any kind of warranty.

11. NicholasJB

NicholasJB Member

Unless this is spoken for, is there anyone in the area that would be willing to look at this car and report back? I'm very seriously considering it. With the money saved I could easily afford a repaint to take car of any paint damage, and that way I could have the color I really want. And not having to worry about the paint makes it a lot easier to have shipped 3000 miles.

But I'm concerned about wear and tear other than the paint. It seems like a really low price even with aesthetic damage. Besides the aforementioned learning curve, was there really any difference between the Founders Series and later 1.5 models?

12. NicholasJB

NicholasJB Member

I called and emailed yesterday, but never received a response. Today the car is off of Autotrader. So it looks like it's sold.