TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster-friendly adhesive numbers?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Tdave, May 16, 2009.

1. Tdave

Tdave Member

Is the body magnetic?

I must admit I don't even know if carbon fiber is magnetic. I plan to drive my Roadster at Autocross events. I'll need to put temporary numbers on the side of the car, which are typically made of magnetic sheets. Will they hold on the body panels of the Roadster?

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

umm... no.

Aluminum is non-magnetic as well. Do they have vinyl stickers? Maybe you can use painter's tape.

3. Tdave

Tdave Member

Vinyl, even the thick stuff meant to be temporary, has a stickiness to it that I'd rather not apply to the paint. I may try static cling numbers, although they sometimes come off, even at autocross speeds, which for the Roadster will tend to be higher than other cars.

4. doug

#4 doug, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    Static cling may actually work better on the carbon fiber. Try that first.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to put anything sticky on the paint either. Just that the magnets won't work.
    I've seen the guys in the shop use blue painter's tape on some painted surfaces on the car, so perhaps it's ok.

There's another special kind of white plastic tape (sorry don't know the name) that we use on the Stanford basketball court when setting up for taekwondo tournaments (actually we got it from the volleyball folks) and it doesn't leave any residue as far as I can tell. When the Roadster's are delivered, there's some kind of white tape on them to protect the body work. (Of course the car is detailed after the tape is removed.) You might contact Tesla and find out what they're using.

5. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Or if you are getting the 3M armor package you could ask them to apply an extra patch where needed for the numbers. Then use the vinyl version in that area. ( I think some owners have had that done in areas where the white California EV sticker is to be applied. )

6. Tdave

Tdave Member

I'm not getting the armor package, but that would have been a good idea. I'll be trying the static cling numbers, most likely, as a first try.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Someone at Tesla must know a good way - we have seen all sorts of Roadsters with numbers and logos on the side... From the Gumball 3000 car, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. SuperB

SuperB Member

If you use sticky vinyl, use a blow dryer to heat it up when you remove it, it's much easier that way.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#9 TEG, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
    As seen at EVS24:
    3534599348_e019ce438e.jpg
    A-ha! (Photo copyright by Planet 3, used with permission)

10. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

This seems like something probably covered here but I can't find it with the search...

I am planning on taking our Roadster to Englishtown in a few weeks to do the road racing course. They require adhesive numbers to be stuck to the car.

Can anyone out there give any advice which stickers to use or not use? I'm talking about the type of sticker to use here, not whether "13 " is cooler than "69"... :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

11. doug

It has been covered here (Is the body magnetic?), but the original title makes it hard to find. I'll change the title and merge.

Edit: now merged, please read up thread.

12. doug

Btw, someone seems to have a line on some nice looking Tesla branded numbers.

june-26-speedventures%20-%20refuel%20z_pits-etc%20cp4_3173.jpg

13. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

Tdave... Any advice on this? Did you have any success? Thanks in advance.

14. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

Interesting... Thanks. Something like that would be ideal.

OT: That white Roadster 04 has the little side blinkies of a European model, that's unusual isn't it? I'm assuming the meet is in the US, based upon the driver location and language of the signs.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#15 TEG, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    Yes, that was at Laguna Seca last weekend.
    I think some Tesla employees came out and ran 3 (or so) Roadsters at the event.
    Yes, it is unusual that (what appears to be) a Euro-Spec Roadster showed up there.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Painter's tape. The number comes out looking ugly but it comes off no problem.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Make SURE to use real painters tape (like the blue kind), not masking tape (yellow) which doesn't come off easily.

18. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

#18 Slackjaw, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    I think I already lower the tone of the vehicle by just sitting in it - sticking ugly tape on the side may trigger some neural-net-based self destruct sequence... :crying:

19. kgb

kgb Member

I used blue painter's tape once. I had Number 1, so it was a single strip on each door. It left no marks.

20. S-2000 Roadster

[​IMG]

Not to change the subject, but the logo on that van looks like it is SSR Wheels. Either that, or BMW M-series. But it looks more like purple in the middle stripe, which would be SSR Wheels. Anyway, I've been trying to get Type C semi-solid forged SSR Wheels for my Tesla Roadster, so I'm very curious whether any of these pictured roadsters have non-stock wheels.