Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla offer FSD on 2020 Roadster

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am here to ask for an opinion if Tesla's Roadster will or will not offer FSD.

I believe that the Roadster will be Tesla's only vehicle that will not offer FSD. Offering FSD on the roadster would effectively make the specs no longer viable. Full Self Driving requires the vehicle to obey the vehicle laws governed by United States as well any other nation. if a specific state has a speed limit of 55 on the Hwy, a Tesla will not travel above 55 (or 65 depending on the state.) (the State of MA allows vehicles to travel a max of 65 with the speed limit at 55). Any higher and the vehicle will be in violation of the law.

Owners of the roadster will not have the enjoyment of 0-60 in 0.9s. (Given if Tesla removes steering wheel/pedals for FSD).
The same can be said for all Tesla's performance models. Those who own performance models w/FSD will no longer have that performance excitement. if you own one now, enjoy while you can. Your time is limited.

I hope i'm wrong. Maybe.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think legislation will prevent the removal of steering wheel and pedals until there is overwhelming evidence that human intervention is detrimental to safety.

If the Roadster really does have a range of around 600 miles then some sort of autopilot would be useful.

Finally, any company which produces something as left-field as the cybertruck is likely to stick with plans for the Spacex package. FSD seems quite normal and sensible in comparison.

Of course it will have FSD. Any car is capable of simply not doing 100% full throttle at all times, whether it’s being driven by a human or FSD computer. But I would agree that I don’t think a version of Roadster will ever be sold that doesn’t have driver controls (read: a steering wheel and pedals), if and when we ever get to Level 5.

Of course it will have FSD. Any car is capable of simply not doing 100% full throttle at all times, whether it’s being driven by a human or FSD computer. But I would agree that I don’t think a version of Roadster will ever be sold that doesn’t have driver controls (read: a steering wheel and pedals), if and when we ever get to Level 5.
I'm with Ryan on this (love the podcast, by the way).

I don't understand the OP's comment "Full Self Driving requires the vehicle to obey the vehicle laws governed by United States" since the car will be FSD only when the driver engages like when EAP is engaged. Even EAP allows the driver to goose it with the pedal on the right even beyond the posted speed limit.