Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster GPS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
What do we know about the GPS in the Roadster?

Is the Roadster dependent on the GPS that come in the JVC unit? (not likely).

Is it located in the P E Module?

Since it remembers charge stations does it only go on to record positions at that moment?

Or is it always on? Is it always recording? If so, who has acess to that info?

Is this common for all cars these days to have GPS units? How are other makers dealing with this?

Who has access to the recorded info? Can it be hacked? What about accessing the info to guide you to a charging station say, where your husband programmed one in?

What about creating a database of Tesla owner's charging stations online that is downloadable for all to use?

What about using it's ability to program in charge points to input dining establishments customer or vendor locations and ATMs?

Where is the GPS antenna?

These are all good questions and they do raise some interesting privacy concerns.

The Roadster does have GPS separate from the radio headunit. I have always understood that it's part of the VDS, but I suppose it could be physically located anywhere.

Responses in bold
What do we know about the GPS in the Roadster?

Is the Roadster dependent on the GPS that come in the JVC unit? (not likely). No. I have the Blaujunk radio.

Is it located in the P E Module? No. It is located to left of the front left headlight assembly. Accessable through the headlight panel in the wheelwell.

Since it remembers charge stations, does it only go on to record positions at that moment? No.

Or is it always on? Yes, it reports location every 2 seconds.
Is it always recording? As far as I can tell the VMS is always monitoring it, but it is not logged anywhere.
If so, who has acess to that info? No GPS data in the log dumps... Sorry.
Who has access to the recorded info? Not recorded by default, only the charge locations are stored.
Can it be hacked? It might be possible, but complicated. The GPS signal is connected to a serial port on the VMS. The VMS could easily log it, but doesn't.

-Scott

Last edited: