Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster History Europe/APAC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signature 034/250 is well in Switzerland. Silver/Black with carbon outside and inside

Attachments

• 44D7151A-69FD-4C3F-A682-E32AF6D5320E.jpeg
    44D7151A-69FD-4C3F-A682-E32AF6D5320E.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: drewski
Is the country code before the VIN set at manufacture or can it be changed? The car I am re-importing from Japan has a SFZRE3B3 VIN (i.e. intended for UK use) but a JP before the VIN as below. I have discovered that it was first registered in Japan on 24/6/12 so was presumably exported there as new.
IMG_4467.jpg

Is the country code before the VIN set at manufacture or can it be changed? The car I am re-importing from Japan has a SFZRE3B3 VIN (i.e. intended for UK use) but a JP before the VIN as below. I have discovered that it was first registered in Japan on 24/6/12 so was presumably exported there as new.

Apologies for quoting my own post but does anyone know the answer to this question?

I think the answer is, unfortunately, no.
The manufacturer is building VINs to fit regulations and probably goes to some lengths to keep people from finding any way to change them.
I think once manufactured, it is never intended to be changed.

Thanks. I just wondered as my car's VIN is actually a UK domestic market one so I assumed that the country prefix must have been put in later, presumably when the car's actual destination was decided. It appears to be UK spec with fog lights and side repeaters, just a km/h speedo instead of mph.

Thanks. I just wondered as my car's VIN is actually a UK domestic market one so I assumed that the country prefix must have been put in later, presumably when the car's actual destination was decided. It appears to be UK spec with fog lights and side repeaters, just a km/h speedo instead of mph.
Interesting. I would have guessed that UK was KM, not Miles.

The SC might be able to change it in firmware settings.

Don't know if any independents have the software, but Id bet on Medlock, if anyone.

Imperial Measurements, including miles, were of course developed by Great Britain before and during the time of the British Empire. The USA, as one of our more successful colonies, continues to use them (albeit with some modifications to the pint, quart and gallon).
Once we realised over here that the the Empire had gone, we gradually adopted the (French) metric system for most things but retained the mile and (to some degree) the pint.

I am not too bothered about changing the JP to GB, just interested.

I will however need a 2.5 speedometer with MPH, anybody got one for a moderate price?

Reactions: Mark77a
Imperial Measurements, including miles, were of course developed by Great Britain before and during the time of the British Empire. The USA, as one of our more successful colonies, continues to use them (albeit with some modifications to the pint, quart and gallon).
Once we realised over here that the the Empire had gone, we gradually adopted the (French) metric system for most things but retained the mile and (to some degree) the pint.

I am not too bothered about changing the JP to GB, just interested.

I will however need a 2.5 speedometer with MPH, anybody got one for a moderate price?

I knew most of that history. Just not that the conversion to Metric wasn't absolute.

And, of course you need the pint! Who wants to order 50cl of beer!!

Ha, well, petrol has been sold by the litre since the 80's BUT we still use miles per gallon for fuel consumption.
And body weight is mostly personal preference, never just pounds like USA, stones mainly, kg for a large minority and for all medical services.
Most other weights in metric g and kg BUT many sizes reflect the old imperial so most jars of jam sold are 454g aka 1lb!

Thanks. Unfortunately the car has to pass an inspection after arrival in the UK and "the speedometer" must read in MPH. I am not sure that I would get away with a second MPH speedo on the digital screen with the main one in KMH but I could try.