TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster HPC questions

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by pharma5, Jul 30, 2013.

1. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

With very limited charging options in the local area (especially for Roadsters) I am looking at putting an HPC out there. I have a Tesla-branded Clipper Creek TS-70 from my roadster purchase that I am looking to install in a public spot but have a couple of questions.

First, it looks like it is limited to preset 32A on the side label but it seems like this can be reprogrammed up to 70 amp (for 90 amp breaker) by contacting clipper creek and getting some equipment - is this correct? Seems like that was done here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7504-HPC-problem-question

Second, I just want to confirm this unit is suitable for installing outside. (A rookie question, I know, but seems like there was conflicting info about the regular TS-70 box being ok, but the Tesla connector being questionable...?? Just want to get that straight).

Thanks much.:smile:

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#2 TEG, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    Yes, it was designed for outside installations.

I am not sure if there is an easy way to adjust the ampacity.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

#3 dhrivnak, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    With the small programming unit it is easy to up the current limit. When i did mine it only cost the return postage for the small programmer.

4. bart513

bart513 Member

Pharma5,
    Where in Jersey are you looking to install?

5. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Am looking at a friendly spot in Cranbury off Rt 130, but also considering approaching some biz owners off Rt 1 in Lawrenceville near Quakerbridge (a bit north of 95/295 intersection).

All of Tesla's locations in NJ are decidedly "north" in Short Hills Mall, Paramus Mall, Springfield Service, and potential supercharger near exit 11 (?), Woodbridge maybe. Want to have something closer to home that also fills a gap.

May also seek out like-minded owners for other spots... feel like we need to build our own local network. Not much in J1772 and nothing at 70A anywhere nearby I can find.

6. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

First, thank you for installing a public charger. I wish more in this group of Roadster owners would think of doing this. The East is not as HPC-populated as the West coast. dhrivnak covered the basic process WRT re-programming for 70A. They will only allow you to do it if the cable is large enough, but I think all the HPCs with roadster connectors had large cables. The connector itself is designed to charge in all types of weather. That said, it's best if you don't get the pins and sleeves wet by making sure you put the connector in it's holder each time you finish charging. Good luck.

7. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

Fantastic! Great example for other EV owners :smile:

8. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25